Air conditioner for 13 ft. Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm with Bob on if you have propane the modest cost of a cooktop can make a big difference. You can sleep anyplace but the stove means morning coffee and breakfast there or even in the pouring rain if you are like myself and cook mostly outside.

I think it is good to balance the weight distribution of major appliances, batteries, water tanks and things like that but would not obsess too much over the little items like some ceramic tile. I might suggest replace the stove then use a wood cover for the stove with tile on it rather than just covering the hole. Or some stoves offer a stainless steel cover.

You might want to look at allure vinyl flooring. Comes in strips that overlap and stick to each other not sticking to the wood flooring underneath the way vinyl tiles do. It floats, held in place by the edges being against walls or cabinets. Looks like wood plank flooring in assorted shades.

You might also try barkeepers friend, comes in a can like powdered cleansers. Is very mild abrasive with a mild bleaching agent. Little moisture, sprinkle powder on rag and rub using big strokes.

Follow with any marine/fiberglass "restore" polish. I think I used Starbrite purchased from auto supply store. Same product Scamp sells in their online store. These two should help with the yellowing.

Some of your projects such as AC or microwave are worth a fair amount of consideration and planning before implementation. Especially if this is a first attempt at this sort of camper remodeling. +1 on take your time.

Take it one step at a time so you don't spend the whole summer with a project camper torn apart instead of going camping in it. Three short trips using an ice box beats having a fridge in a camper that is not ready to go anyplace.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I respectfully disagree with reinstalling the propane stovetop. I have not yet snatched mine out but its’ days are certainly numbered as the 3 way fridge and furnace are already gone and the water heater is getting concerned about its’ fate. My dos centavos is to get a nice Coleman or equivalent propane cooktop and the conversion for using 20 pound bottles and that way you can cook outside off the big bottle and if you just have to move it inside you can (carefully) cook with a small disposable bottle of gas. Best of both worlds.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #23

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
I also disagree with the "need" for propane inside a small camper - my stove doesn't work and as soon as I drill the rivets out, it's going to be gone, with no immediate plans to replace the cooktop with anything other than a cutting board to cover the hole that will be left behind... I don't think I will miss it.

The previous owners of my scamp didn't use the cooktop, they just cooked outside, which is what I plan to do as well, since it's what I am most familiar with coming from tent camping. An adapter and supply hose is easily acquired should I ever opt to mount a 20lb tank on my tongue, but I know exactly how long a 1lb disposable bottle lasts us and they are easy to keep on hand, so it's far from a deal-breaker to use those.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #24

Michigan
There is certainly room for disagreement. Some FGRV manufacturers only offer propane as an "extra" with the regular models built as all electric.

If you cover the hole with a cutting board, or build a cover for the stove top it is a good idea to put some little felt pads on the bottom where the wood will rub the counter surface.

I cook outside on a Coleman stove or a fire nearly 100% of the time but having the stove available provides an option. If resale is a factor that might also influence a decision. I want to make a cutting board cover for my stove top. I know I will use it as counter space a lot more than as a stove.

I like propane fridge for longer stays out in the boondocks but have done them with ice too so not sure what I would do if I was facing replacement cost of a 3 way fridge. Lots of options to consider.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #25

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Wow! Thank you to all of you... I much prefer learning from others rather
than screwing something up.

I'll definitely look into the products you have mentioned.

We have a propane camp stove that we can bring. I don't like gas inside, mostly because it scares me. The point about being able to dry dock is a very good one.

However, if we happen to be dry docking at a Cracker Barrel, we will absolutely have to go inside for some wonderful food and retail therapy!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #26

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
How does one send a private message?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #27

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Click on their username on the left and a menu will pop up. Sending a private message (PM) is the second option, just click that and it will take you to a page where you can write your message.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #28

Name: Clay and Keri
Trailer: Eggert the Scamp
Tennessee
Bob Miller, THAT is one gorgeous little trailer! I love the neatness of it all! Taking pointers.
JeepScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #29

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have not yet snatched mine out but its’ days are certainly numbered as the 3 way fridge and furnace are already gone and the water heater is getting concerned about its’ fate.
A little update on this. My propane cooktop has been removed and replaced with a 4" deep dry-well with recessed 120V receptacle in the back. The well is the same size as the cooktop cut-out and is a great place to put a hot-plate, toaster, crockpot, etc. Stuff may shift around a little during traveling but if that becomes a problem I will wedge some towels or something around them.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
I also disagree with the "need" for propane inside a small camper - my stove doesn't work and as soon as I drill the rivets out, it's going to be gone, with no immediate plans to replace the cooktop with anything other than a cutting board to cover the hole that will be left behind... I don't think I will miss it.
Cooking outside is great and I do that most of the time when camping but when you are on a long road trip and just do a quick stop over in a parking lot someplace for the night and want to make a fast meal or a cup of coffee in the morning you can't go setting up your stove etc outside. Also handy for making a tea with lunch while on the road. Its also good for heating up water for a quick sponge bath in those situations. My feeling is I want a trailer that is fully usable/functional in all situations. For that reason I wouldn't pull a fully functional stove out of a trailer & wouldn't buy one that didn't have one. If you don't feel you will ever actually use the stove just put a cover over it as its a good bet the next owner will use/want the stove.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #31

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Where to buy?

If I decide to put one in our Scamp (It came without.), where would I purchase it?

Thanks!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #32

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...op-detail.html

https://www.scamptrailers.com/images...ct/SKU-568.jpg
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #33

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
What about using a portable butane stove and having the counter space?
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have two one-burner butane stoves that I use outside, and I have the three-burner propane stove inside. It has a lid, which creates counter space when closed. I have options. Don't have to get out of bed to make coffee in the morning.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #35

Michigan
I saw the earlier comment about having concerns about safety of propane. Safe it is, respect it you must. Maintaining propane equipment, having a CO detector, checking for leaks with a little soapy water at the joints annually.

I would say built in stove is probably a bit safer than portable. The connections are permanent, it can't be accidently knocked off the counter while burning. The fuel "bottle" is outside away from the flame. That is not to say a portable propane/butane stove is unsafe but I would say built in stove provides an added margin of safety.

I can't speak to all models of portable stoves but the ones I have seen take up more counter space (especially including the bottle of fuel) than a built in one.

Some people do all electric and find that suits them but unless that electric option is well done (quality workmanship and safe wiring) and provides the full functionality and features of the propane it replaces I would expect resale value to go down. Plug for a hot plate vs. built in electric cooktop vs. built in propane cooktop will impact the value or suitability for perspective buyers. As will the quality of the implementation.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #36

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
My 2 cents: I am sensitive to propane (maybe allergic) and have asthmatic, hives, etc reaction. Last winter BS (Before Scamp) I tested a portable Mr Heater Buddy with bad results. My reactions are not common.

I love tinkering with DIY and hiking stoves and off grid stuff, especially alternative fuels for cooking.

I have favorites from my perspective. I DO NOT recommend these for anyone because your needs will be different from mine. I love denatured alcohol stoves made for boats.

Name:   uploadfromtaptalk1405364922252.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  11.3 KB
I know my personal limitations as well as my level of safety. One needs to be careful with any stove or fire. Living in the South West is new to me as are the necessary fire bans. Because of those fire bans I cannot use my most favorite outdoor cooking on wood fires nor can I use my Kelly Kettle. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405364931043.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	73620

I just like to share info many may not have considered.[emoji4]
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1405364875072.jpg  
Attached Images

SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #37

Name: JD
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Maryland
Registry
Alternate AC Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Many people have add AC units to their campers ...in all kinds of places...even in windows!
Go to the top of the page and find the search box drop down menu,when you click on the down arrow it will give you suggestions of ways to search...in the Google search box type in air conditioner...that will give you LOTS of topic links and you can look at them to see if you find anything you like.

Everyone here is very helpful and will answer your questions as best they can with advice on how to best do your Mod. Someone much better than me( Donna D ) is Great on pointing people to just the Right topic so she just might pop in anytime with some real good Topic links for you.

Good luck and Happy Camping
We've just finished a season testing out an AC conversion made locally and really loved it. It doesn't require any changes to the Fiber Stream. This weekend was in the 90's and it was freezing us out- had to turn it down twice. Also, easily runs on our generator- draws about 8 amps. It has green nylon covers for the tubes and the top of the unit, but we didn't put them on this go around. It will also mount on the hitch with an adapter bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
1portairductdetails.jpg   2portairinplacewducts.jpg  

3portairreturnductdetail.jpg   4portairsidewindowductdetail.jpg  

JD1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #38

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Interesting way to do it! I have wondered about using those portable units.

Can you give more info on the AC unit itself? Brand and model?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #39

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Personally, I think portable A/C units are grand.. as long as they don't too Red Neck (sorry, I'm visual). The nice thing, is you only need to take them when they're needed. Otherwise, leave the extra weight at home or use that storage area for something else. Maybe that's why I think closet installs work well?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The only problems i have had with propane have been the 2 lb bottles. I'v had them pop their safety valves and also leak once you take them off your appliance. I feel much safer in my trailer with the copper lines and the bottle of propane out side with its shutoff valve outside.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp