Scamp owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Name: Sandria
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Scamp owner

I have an older Scamp. I can't decipher the year that is on the tongue of the trailer. Probably about early 90s; I have a vinyl wall covering. I am stumped over how to give a really nice, professional finish to the area inside the kitchen cabinet (would eventually be applied to all insides of cabinets). The fiberglass at back of kitchen cabinet was covered with a factory-installed padded vinyl sheeting material that has a 2 foot by 2 foot square cut out of it, exposing the bare fiberglass wall. No insulation and light permeable in this square. I would like to know what material to use to fill in this square thereby covering it, and then I would like to finish off the entire inside of cabinet to give it the area a professional look.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sandrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Post a photo of it inside and out Sandria and we may be able to give you an idea as to that year it is - the early 90's Scamps had rat fur.

Sorry can't help you with the vinyl wall covering, but you should be able to buy some automotive or marine headliner to do the trick if it doesnt need to match the covering that is exposed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

Virginia
Scamp owner

Thanks, Carol. Your suggestion, after looking up headliner, is what I need.

I will post the number or take picture of number to see what year I have.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here is the key to the VIN:
Scamp VIN decoding
Somebody did the work for us, it came up googling "scamp trailer vin codes".
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #5

Virginia
Can you think of reason why a 2x2 square would be cut from the original covering on the fiberglass wall at back of storage area under the sink?

Also, when I read about mounting AC unit in bottom of closet, my closet has a molded portion jutting up from bottom. In other words, almost like a molded stool coming from the bottom. What is this?
Are there molded wheel wells inside the body of the camper? Seems like I might have one underneath the fuse box inside cabinet under sink. Then would the one on other side be inside the closet?
Thanks, Carol. Did you find your trailer that was stolen?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrial View Post
Can you think of reason why a 2x2 square would be cut from the original covering on the fiberglass wall at back of storage area under the sink?

Also, when I read about mounting AC unit in bottom of closet, my closet has a molded portion jutting up from bottom. In other words, almost like a molded stool coming from the bottom. What is this?
Are there molded wheel wells inside the body of the camper? Seems like I might have one underneath the fuse box inside cabinet under sink. Then would the one on other side be inside the closet?
Thanks, Carol. Did you find your trailer that was stolen?
Samdrail, I actually didn't have my own trailer stolen but have posted info in regards to trailers that have been stolen.

It would help if you could post photos of the areas you are concerned with. Without photos my answer to the first question re the 2x2 cut out is simple a best guess.

The 2x2 cut out under the sink would be the location of your orignal City Water intake. Do you have a City water connection in that location already or has someone moved it to another location? Do you have grey water tanks and are they original to the trailer. If not original there may have also been a waste water connection in that location as well.

In regards to the raised section of the floor of the tall closet. If you look under the trailer you will see the floor is not flat all the way across the trailer. It is raised on the sides and drops down in the middle where the walkway is. That is why the area in the bottom of the closet is higher than the walkway floor.

Yes you can see the wheel wells from inside the trailer & yes one of them is under the sink and the other directly across from it and can be seen if you look inside the cupboards there.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

Virginia
vin no

Here is what I found on the flat horizontal piece of tongue of trailer:
11-305
SAE CLASS1 83
The Fulton Co.
Milwaukee, USA

It was in that order and placement.

I did not find any numbers elsewhere on the tongue parts.

Hope this helps but I'm wondering if that is a stamp for the trailer itself.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
11-305
SAE CLASS1 83
The Fulton Co.
Milwaukee, USA

That appears to be the hitch manufacturer's information. The VIN should be a stamped number on top of or alongside the 2X3 tube steel forming the tougue. Maybe on an inside edge and painted over (maybe several times) and hard to find/see/read. What does your title/registration say?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my 1986 13 foot Scamp the serial number is stamped on the top inner edge of the frame on the passengers side between the mounting bracket for the post jack and the trailer body. its right on the corner of the tube where its stiffest.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
11-305
SAE CLASS1 83
The Fulton Co.
Milwaukee, USA

If I am not mistaken Fulton made couplers. If it still has the original and if its only a class I you may want to think about updating to a Class II or III soon.

But as you don't have rat fur in the trailer the 83 sounds like it may also be the year of the trailer.

Did the paper work you got from the seller not include a serial number ?

I had to use some paint remover on the top passenger side section on the tongue to be able to read the full serial number clearly due to it having been painted over with heavy paint.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #11

Virginia
I scoured the tongue today, wiping it down with Goo Off and a rag on all sides of tongue metal measuring 2x3. I did not feel up inside the tongue or move the jack fastening brackets. Still did not find, but I have not given up. Thanks, Steve, for suggesting one more location. I at least have pretty good estimate of circa 1985.
I also will look at the title. Would there be an clue in the VIN no?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #12

Virginia
Carol, since the Class 1 is stamped on the tongue of the trailer, are you saying that the trailer needs to be updated? If not, what part?
Thanks. I'm learning as I go and it's totally captivated me.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I also will look at the title. Would there be an clue in the VIN no?
Paul O gave you a link to the Scamp VIN decoder in post #4 above. Just click on the link.
http://scamp.n0kfb.org/VIN_Decoding/VIN-Decoding.htm
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Vin would be definitive but even though scamps stayed much the same there are differences such as window styles, fitting locations appliances or even floor plan which might get you close if you posted some pictures.

First thing I thought of when I saw mention of a 2x2 patch cut from the ensolite in a cupboard was someone patched a wall someplace. Taking a piece from a hidden location to patch damage in a location that shows is not uncommon way to repair ensolite. Done well the patch can be pretty hard to spot.

I'm not as familiar as Carol with some of those hoity totty things like city water hookups in scamps since mine does not have one ;-) but in mine there is an electric outlet that the fridge plugs into and circuit breaker box under the sink mounted to the wall. Never noticed if the outlet has ensolite behind it. If that was moved and there was a cutout for it...?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My 1988 16' Scamp has rat fur, so your trailer has to be older than that. Does it have jalousie windows? Can you share a picture, especially of the rear. The rear can either be a flat back, or rounded.. and the bumper can give further hints to its age.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp