finally seeing a scamp 5er - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
finally seeing a scamp 5er

Hi,

I had been looking for a Standard model Scamp 5th wheel to view in the Southern Ontario area, and I finally found one in Pennsylvania (about 4 hour drive, so not too bad in my books). I am not trying to purchase it, I simply want to see it to determine if it would work for my family or not. I'm a little concerned it might be too small (family of 4- but my wife's hoping for 5) for my young family. I have two questions:

1. What do you give to someone when you go to see their trailer?
2. Any recommendations on how to gauge whether the Scamp is big enough for us or not? I'm not that tall and neither is my wife, but once in a blue moon she gets claustrophobic, and I don't want that while we're on vacation.

a big thanks to all of you who have responded to my previous posts about Scamp 5th wheels, it's been much appreciated.

thanks,
j-rod
j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jared your wife needs to see the 5er herself to see if it's to closed in for her.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:31 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post
Hi,

I have two questions:

1. What do you give to someone when you go to see their trailer?
2. Any recommendations on how to gauge whether the Scamp is big enough for us or not? I'm not that tall and neither is my wife, but once in a blue moon she gets claustrophobic, and I don't want that while we're on vacation.
j-rod
We've shown our Scamp 19 to numerous people and don't expect any compensation. Several have contacted us through Scamp and far more have seen us on the road or in campgrounds and asked to check it out.

It is definitely a small space. We've turned our loft bed front to back, which makes the loft seem more open, but eliminated one of the six possible beds. My wife, our cat, and I have spent a couple of 3-month periods in it and are still married.

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"1. What do you give to someone when you go to see their trailer?"

One year we spent 310 days in a row traveling in our Scamp 16. During that period we gave over 100 tours of our Scamp. Like most people we're just happy to share.

When we travel we sometimes carry a case of Florida Honey to share with people who we meet as we travel, a small gift for special people or events.

"2. Any recommendations on how to gauge whether the Scamp is big enough for us or not?"

We bought our first small, used trailer for a two month trip across Labrador. I had promised that after the two months I'd sell it and we'd continue in our travels in our spacious motorhome.

Before we left we joked about synchronized rolling over in the trailer's comparatively small bed. In those two months the bed was never an issue. At the conclusion of the trip we looked at each other one day and said that was fun. We kept going in the small trailer for 8 more months making another loop of the USA.

We ended up selling our motorhome and are now strictly small trailer people. We have concluded that the amount of space is more than adequate. Most of one's travel time is spent outside. Most of the inside time is when your sleeping.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The first Scamp I was in was a regular 19', the one I bought last year is 2004 Deluxe. The regular 19' has a more open feeling, so that would be better, you are on the right track. The bathroom separates the Deluxe in to two spaces, the loft and the "downstairs", making it feel smaller. Our Deluxe has a huge amount of storage space inside, more than the standard.
Scamp has a program that rewards those who show their Scamp to potential buyers, but that is more trouble than it is worth, and many owners are willing to do a show and tell. However, I would call Wayne at Scamp and ask if they have a name of someone in your area. Also, Scamp will send you brochures and such in return mail.
I am surprised that it would be four hours from anywhere in the North America to see a 19' Scamp, but they are somewhat rare, it seems. We are both very happy with ours. Pull it with a four door, short bed Tacoma.
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The first Scamp I was in was a regular 19', the one I bought last year is 2004 Deluxe. The regular 19' has a more open feeling, so that would be better, you are on the right track. The bathroom separates the Deluxe in to two spaces, the loft and the "downstairs", making it feel smaller. Our Deluxe has a huge amount of storage space inside, more than the standard.
Scamp has a program that rewards those who show their Scamp to potential buyers, but that is more trouble than it is worth, and many owners are willing to do a show and tell. However, I would call Wayne at Scamp and ask if they have a name of someone in your area. Also, Scamp will send you brochures and such in return mail.
I am surprised that it would be four hours from anywhere in the North America to see a 19' Scamp, but they are somewhat rare, it seems. We are both very happy with ours. Pull it with a four door, short bed Tacoma.
Paul
Paul,
Can you guess at how much difference there is in storage space between the two Scamp 5th wheels? Is there very much difference in space?
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Take them down a can of Canadian Maple Syrup. That always works.

We have given quite a few "tours" of our Ventura and were happy to do it. Now with the Casita, it has mostly been friends checking it out.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Paul,
Can you guess at how much difference there is in storage space between the two Scamp 5th wheels? Is there very much difference in space?
Thanks,
The biggest difference in storage is the space above the bathroom and shower. It is equivalent to maybe three of the other overhead bins. The standard 5th does not have any storage above the sofa/bunks.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:06 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Storage space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The biggest difference in storage is the space above the bathroom and shower. It is equivalent to maybe three of the other overhead bins. The standard 5th does not have any storage above the sofa/bunks.
Standard Scamp 19 has storage under the full length of the couch, which is greater in volume than the deluxe's over-shower space. The standard does not have a closet, like the deluxe, if it has a side bath.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Standard Scamp 19 has storage under the full length of the couch, which is greater in volume than the deluxe's over-shower space. The standard does not have a closet, like the deluxe, if it has a side bath.
I forgot about that - thanks for clarification. I guess the potential buyer needs to see both 19 footers if possible. Also, the under-the-bunk storage would have better access from outside than the over-the-shower, being near the door.

Tags
scamp