Casita actual length? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Rockwood Roo
Texas
Casita actual length?

How long is the Casita 17 body ? The specs I've seen just say 17 overall.
Bobj 616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
14 feet give or take. All molded towables are measured from tongue to back bumper. Those rules apply to all manufacturers, all builds.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

Texas
Some of the sites give the length of the body of the trailer and the entire length. Thanks for the info. Bob
Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobj 616 View Post
Some of the sites give the length of the body of the trailer and the entire length. Thanks for the info. Bob
That may be on the manufacturers website, but when you're talking about a Scamp 13 (10 foot box) Casita 17 (14 foot box), etc., etc., etc. just subtract 3 feet. I don't know of any all molded towable that's measured any other way.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Donna is Spot on correct, travel trailers from the manufacturer all measure tip to tip...... the only trailers that measure differently by manufacturer are Landscape and Cargo/Utility Trailers, who measure the box size only. go to Home Depot, measure and you will see that to be true
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'm guessing what Bob's saying is sometimes a "19" is actually 19.6 ft.

Of course, that 19.6 ft is still "tip to tip."
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Based on my many years all manufactures of all Travel Traiers quote the overall length of the entire travel trailer from the tip of the tounge to the back end of the unit. The actual useable space inside the unit is about 3 feet shorter...this deduction in what I call "people space" does vary by a few inches from manufacturer to manufacturer...bring your tape measure.

Another factor to consider is the actual width of the unit...this can be from about 7 feet wide to about 8 feet wide. Actual useable space and the use of that space often determines how happy you will be when you camp in the unit. Layouts are important. When you shop for a Travel Trailer try to visualize you and your family adjusting to life in the unit. If the layout and size does not work you will not be a happy camper. That is the reason there are so many lightly used units for sale.
Unhappy campers often sell a unit in the first year after failing to adapt to cramped and poorly designed layouts.

Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

Texas
Okay , I get it , LOL . I only asked because a few of the sites I visited gave overall length ,from tip to tail but they also gave the box size . Just want to be sure what I am looking at . I would definitely need to adjust my(or at least my wife's ) packing habits if I go with a Casita or an Escape for that matter. Thanks for the info campers are always so helpful. Bob
Old 11-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The three foot rule of thumb does not apply to Scamp 19 because it is a 5th wheel layout.
Overall length: 19' 0"
Interior length: 17' 10"
- from their brochure.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:29 PM   #10

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: 1995 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16'
IL
Thank you for asking and answering this question. I have been looking for this info on so many websites and could not find it.

I have a 16 foot so is a 13 foot box then. With the rounded corners its hard to measure. Plus I did not know if you add in the spare tire in the length.

I wanted to figure out my square footage to see what kind of heater would work. If i did my math, it should be round 80 square feet give or take some inches.
mamaduck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 06:48 AM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
My 17' 2008 Casita Spirit Deluxe, (as has been mentioned above,) is measured from the trailer hitch to the rear bumper. The actual "Egg" of the fiberglass is about 13.5 feet long. A seventeen foot trailer isn't really a seventeen foot trailer. Obviously the 16 footers and the 13 footers, (no longer in production,) are equally deficient in actual length. As a general rule of thumb, you can knock off about 3 feet from the "advertised length" on any of them, and you'll know the approximate length of the fiberglass shell itself.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 07:35 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Obviously the 16 footers and the 13 footers, (no longer in production,) are equally deficient in actual length.
I prefer to call my 13’ Scamp (with a 10’ shell) efficient rather than deficient.

As Donna said way back in 2014, overall length has always been the official DOT standard for measuring travel trailers. It still appears on titles in some states that include length, and it’s the number you use any place there’s a length restriction or a fee based on length.

At one time all travel trailer manufacturers designated their models by overall length, but at some point in the dim mists of RV history stick-built manufacturers started designating their models (for marketing purposes) using cabin length and burying the overall length in the spec sheet. It creates confusion when people wonder why a Jayco 16FB (just made that up) seems to have more space than a Scamp 16- and of course it does, because it’s really a 19’ travel trailer (and probably wider, too, and certainly heavier).

On the other hand, it’s hard to fault molded manufacturers for continuing to do what they’ve always done. Imagine the confusion if Scamp followed the crowd and suddenly started calling its 16’er a Scamp 13SD!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:27 AM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Well, it wasn't meant as a slight to any make or model. If you tow it onto a transportation Ferry for example, yes, you're going to pay for the total overall length that you bring on board. That said, I was only trying to denote that fiberglass, (and probably most other,) trailers are measured the same way, from hitch to bumper. But you are not getting a 17' trailer. You are getting a 13 foot trailer on a seventeen foot frame. Just to keep people unfamiliar with how it works from being disillusioned by thinking that if they get a 17 foot trailer, that the actual inhabitable space will be 17 feet.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #14

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Does the saying....."It's not the lenght of your trailer...it's how you use it" apply here? Asking for a friend.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The confusion over length happened because molded trailers have a long, continuous design tradition going back over a half century, when the older length convention was used industry wide. Only one non-molded manufacturer has a similar longevity- Airstream- and they also still use overall length to designate models. A 16’ Bambi is 16’1” tongue to bumper.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:27 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
trailer length

My Casita Liberty went from a 17' to a 18.5' recently.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3441.jpg   IMG_3483.jpg  

IMG_3514 (002).jpg  
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita