Replacement Toilet -1977 Boler 17' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Replacement Toilet -1977 Boler 17'

Working on my new acquisition, and likely need a new toilet.
Wondering where I might acquire one, or is there a new type that works
well. I don't have a photo, but it is pretty standard type, likely the same as in a 13 footer.
Any help would be appreciated. I am located in New Westminster BC Canada
Dave
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I don't know what kind of toilet your trailer came with, but mine had a Thetford plastic toilet. I replaced it with a Sea-Land Traveler 511 porcelain bowl toilet. What a difference from the cheap plastic Thetford one.

SeaLand Traveler for sale at PPL - PPL Motor Homes

302651101 SEALAND TRAVELER 511+ - LO PROFILE - WHITE - 4 BOLT MOUNT
and the adapter plate:
83-1858 MOUNTING ADAPTER - 4 BOLT TOILET TO 2 BOLT FLANGE - WHITE
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

Name: Lise
Washington
Registry
Hi Dave and Bonnie--

I see we are in very similar circumstances, just about 180 miles (and a border) apart.

I bought a Boler 1700 about a month ago that also came from Kamloops. I bought it in Richmond BC then imported it here to Seattle area.

I posted my toilet manual, it is a Monogram 446 or 461 in a lovely Harvest Gold. It also came White and Avocado.

I see you are also working on your furnace--I haven't gotten there yet but there is also a furnace manual in the Document Center.

Right now my priorities have been:
tires/axle/frame check--done
wash exterior/leak test-done
electrical-in progress
clean interior-in progress
plumbing
propane
Take it on a trip somewhere!

Keep us posted on your progress
Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

Washington
Registry
Looks like the toilet manual hasn't made it out of moderation yet. I'll email it to you.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

British Columbia
So today we went to do some more "cleaning" of the Boler. We discovered in the cubbyhole above the front area of the Boler a
complete original group of all the Boler papers - manual, heater, plumbing, fridge, everything!! And the original bill of sale in 1978!

We cleaned the fridge today - used some interesting tools - small flathead screwdriver, cloths, some bleach mixed with water and soap,
and we did get the mould off the insulation stripping round the door of the fridge. Everything turned out really good. Now we have to
sand off the rusty paint and peeling of the fridge where the door meets at the bottom and repaint ( likely Tremclad black strip will work)

We are going to be in the market for 1-2 fridge trays ( stainless steel) as we have one or two missing - we only have the little one at the top and one other larger one.

If its any consolation to you, Bonnie hit her head twice on the cupboards and the kids bed above the rear bed area! No bruising but some interesting language ( heheh)

We see some bowing in the wood at the back of the stove/sink cabinet so I may have to take out the stove/oven to shore it up - don't know if this is an easy project or not.

The 3/8th or 3/16th wood side paneling has definitely seen better days - with water and sun damage it has the tiredness that says replace me - hmmmmm.

So you're in Seattle. Not like its too too far - we often come down there as our daughter ( currently in Boston) did live in San Francisco and Carmel so we have travelled through a number of times. If we are heading down, we will definitely try to hook up and look at your Boler. Vice Versa - if you're up in Vancouver area easy to show you our Boler .

Take care and again thanks for the sharing

Dave and Bonnie Scott
Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We just put in a new furnace and new water heater in ours, refacing all the cupboards. The ministry says our boler weight is 780 kg empty reno will fix that lol
Old 08-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
We got white frost panels going to glue them over the old ones
Old 08-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #8

Ontario
Registry
5/32 thick panels
Old 08-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandbonscott View Post
So today we went to do some more "cleaning" of the Boler. We discovered in the cubbyhole above the front area of the Boler a complete original group of all the Boler papers - manual, heater, plumbing, fridge, everything!!

Take care and again thanks for the sharing

Dave and Bonnie Scott
Would like to see fridge stuff and the manual
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiseKen View Post
Hi Dave and Bonnie--

I see we are in very similar circumstances, just about 180 miles (and a border) apart.

I posted my toilet manual, it is a Monogram 446 or 461 in a lovely Harvest Gold. It also came White and Avocado.

Right now my priorities have been:
tires/axle/frame check--done
wash exterior/leak test-done
electrical-in progress
clean interior-in progress
plumbing
propane
Take it on a trip somewhere!

Keep us posted on your progress
Toilet info is great to know would like to see that manual
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

Washington
Registry
Borden--

Many of the manuals are in the document center, and I added all the ones I had that weren't in there. It is a treasure trove of information for sure!

The Document Center is under the "More" tab at the top of the main page of this site. The manuals are at the bottom of the Document Center when you click on the listing for Trailer Brand Manufacturer.

Here is a link if it works:
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Boler
Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

Washington
Registry
Dave and Bonnie--

Great to find all the manuals for your Boler--makes one think the that former owners took good care of it and were responsible!

Glad to hear progress continues--the metal part under my fridge is all peeling paint too--sounds eerily familiar! I am going to repaint it white to match the rest of the frame, only that bottom piece needs attention.

Sorry about the bumped head, it will likely be sore for a few days. Guess I should appreciate that the PO took out the upper bunk, although I imagine I'll miss the storage soon enough.

A boat electrician gave my electrical the okay, am really relieved! He is not as concerned as some on this forum about many connections being made with the twist wire connectors. He said a lot of my wiring was original and no need to replace if it is still working. I had him add a couple outlets while he was here as it takes him about 1/8 the time it would take me. I put one of those snazzy USB outlets by the "head" of the bed, can't wait to finally sleep there and use it!

Found out today that we may need to replace the hitch coupler--it doesn't latch completely so we've been adding a bungee cord but that's temporary. We're going to see what we can figure at home as the welder quoted $250 to replace and reinforce the jack.

Also tested all the water systems yesterday--the city water has leaks at the fitting into the interior, and the fresh holding tank leaks to beat the band (is that a saying?). The faucet leaks when not completely off or on, but I already planned to replace. The drain also leaks, but looks like a fairly easy fix. Luckily the city water seems to work okay and the black and grey tanks appear to hold water. With all the leaks I'll need to replace the freshwater tank if I decide to use it.

When I sit in there, there is lots to be done but it also feels so good to me, like a little home even though it's pretty bare. I'm finding lots of water damaged spots so I know there is more work in my future, but I want to get it road worthy and enjoy these last days of summer. I may regret that when the rains and leaks start...will need to buy a very big tarp!!

All for now...I do come up to Vancouver on occasion as I have a few friends there and also family in Victoria and on Cortes Island. Please do let me know if you ever come down to Seattle!

Lise
Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #13

Washington
Registry
One more thing actually---think I found the supports for the kitchen counter/cabinets today when looking at the electrical. They are square metal poles that look like they would fit.

Any chance you still have supports and could post a picture of how they look installed?

Thanks!
Lise
Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #14

Washington
Registry
And Borden--would love to see your cabinets when done. That is a project for next year for me!
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #15

British Columbia
LiseKen

Here is a photo of my above stove cabinet supports.
On left side is a stainless steel square rod, the other is now
supported by PVC pipe, not a piece of 1x1 wood. The square rod is original but I only have one. I believe that type of rod may be easily found in a sheet metal repair shop

Often I see supports of twisted steel like you would see on a staircase

I will be checking the water system shortly on our Boler - I think ours may
be in good shape except for the drain plug in the water tank. Do you have
an electric pump for your water to your sink or is it by hand pumping?
Old 09-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #16

Washington
Registry
Your photos didn't show up, can u repost?

Mine has an electric pump mounted on the floor under the sink. It is a shurflo not sure the model. Want me to check?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #17

British Columbia
Shelf Supports

I have a Sure-flo as well. Like your, I will seek out a Boler owner near me to come and give some advice about appliance operation.
Have cleaned outside of trailer ( Barman's Friend wipe on with cloth and then immediately rinse off) and Bonnie painted 1/2 of trailer's interior ensolite with
Bullseye Primer to clean it up - worked weil with a small paint brush and a mini-sized roller.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #18

Washington
Registry
Sounds like you are making progress. I got a great handle on my leaks with the help of Karin of Campster fame, so they are in a holding pattern until I can get to them.

Am currently readying for my first outing (!), so have shifted to getting the inside sleepable. Mattress and curtains.

Your photos of the rod supports still didn't show up, am hoping to get something in before I go to keep the motion from causing any more roof sagging.

Here is a how to on adding photos to a post: Fiberglass RV - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

Lise
Old 10-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Lise,

Just noticed your remarks about your hitch coupler and roof supports. Here are my thoughts:

Hitch coupler: If the coupler latch doesn't latch, i.e., it only goes part of the way down, try turning the adjustment nut under and inside the coupler until the tightness is "just right".

Roof supports: Yes, I definitely agree that these should be re-installed on the countertop. My roof supports look like this, but I've seen other styles as well (photo only shows 1 support but there are 2, one on each side of counter):
Attached Thumbnails
our boler 17 countertop.jpg  
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler