Boler's maiden voyage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '71 Boler
Texas
Boler's maiden voyage

went off this weekend but...not without a hiccup or 2. While driving down the road the door swings open! I put in the new hinge repair kit and tightened up the inside handle mechanism and it would lock for me at home but then with the motion it wouldn't stay shut. I had to bungee cord it. Plus put a double dog clip with eyescrews into door and body for extra. So that is my new project. I am going to replace hinges and handles and reset the door.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1479691676220.jpg  
DrKyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

Texas
Any suggestions on where to buy replacement hinges and door handles & striker latch plate thingie? I am guessing I need to use as close to original as possible...

Old 11-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Two words ....Ian Giles

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
The reason your door is swinging open while driving is probably because your latch and striker are adjusted too tight.

I made the same mistake on my Boler and after I loosened it up a bit it stays closed all the time while on the road.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKyle1 View Post
went off this weekend but...not without a hiccup or 2. While driving down the road the door swings open! I put in the new hinge repair kit and tightened up the inside handle mechanism and it would lock for me at home but then with the motion it wouldn't stay shut. I had to bungee cord it. Plus put a double dog clip with eyescrews into door and body for extra. So that is my new project. I am going to replace hinges and handles and reset the door.

Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #5

Texas
Ok thanks ...very tight click before we left...I put a new gasket around the door opening from Scamp trailers plus I tightened the inside handle to door attachment. In looking at the striker latch it is bent towards the door and not straight. I tried to bend back but didn't help. Now since the trip I can't even get the latch to hit striker. I wanted to replace these parts anyway but they were much farther down on my to do list...not anymore! The POMS just used nuts and bolts for door hinge and that deformed the hinge cup. Hopefully with new parts will get closer.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Exact fit Boler hinges are no longer available. You can use a Scamp hinge, but because it has 3 bolts on the cabin side instead of 2, you'll have some fiberglass patching to do.

However, it is unlikely the hinge body is the problem. The guts are what wear out. Member Ian G. sells a hinge rebuild kit that uses higher quality materials than the similar kit available from Scamp.
Products Archive - Boler-Camping

The new door seal from Scamp is known to cause problems during the break-in period. It's very tight and takes a good bit of force to compress enough for the latch to engage fully. Even some brand new Scamp owners have had their doors pop open. The problem diminishes over time.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992 / Chevrolet S10 4.3L.
Boler door

One of my friends who has a Boler installs a small aluminium channel bar between the end of belly band with 2 spring pins when it travels down the road. He made 2 small holes in the belly band and fixed the small c channel over the door with 2 pins

Simple and efficient
Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
had the same problem with mine. I added a hasp like the ones you use for a padlock but with the lock built in. never opened again and it is added security for the door when I'm away.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hasp+...UIBigB#imgrc=_
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

The new door seal from Scamp is known to cause problems during the break-in period. It's very tight and takes a good bit of force to compress enough for the latch to engage fully. Even some brand new Scamp owners have had their doors pop open. The problem diminishes over time.
This is what we had happen to us. The first year we owned our Scamp, we never had an issue with the door. Last summer we replaced the hinges and the door seal and the very next trip, the door popped open! I thought it was the new hinges at first, but after posting here and being reminded of the new door seal, we realized that's what it was! I trimmed it down and we haven't had a problem since!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler