Burro Trailer Company - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #61

Name: Brian
Trailer: Burro
Iowa
Burro company

In the early 90's burro was sold to company called fiberglass international in Schaller iowa and was there until owner died. I have all of that company and parts and molds for sale of what's left. I am liquidating all of it as I sold the property a few weeks ago. Thanks
Burropartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #62

Iowa
I have decals
Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Any mysterious molds left in Mexico? We've been chatting and wondering about them, (if they exist) for years here.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #64

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Does anyone have an owner's manual for a burro?
Great post, BTW!
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #65

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Linda, I had the graphics dept. at work cut me a jackass for the front window guard and spare cover. Replaced B U R R O over left side jackass with vinyl letters from a self design vinyl cutting service on internet. If Brian has the decals for sale in less than a wholesale lot, jump on it! Even if it is a large lot. You could be the logo Lady.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #66

Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
I contacted VistaPrint and they are going to make me a Burro decal based on an image I found on a google image search. They sell signs, decals, and bumper stickers on-line. I am restoring my 1983 Burro and thought I'd add some Burro decals to freshen her up. I'll post pictures later.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

John
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #67

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Colangelo View Post
Does anyone have an owner's manual for a burro?
Great post, BTW!
John if you have not found it yet we do have a Documents Center here - the link to it is on the forums main page on the left. You will find manuals for most items found in our trailers as well as in many cases the trailers original owners manual.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #68

Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Burro
Tennessee
Our Burro is an 83 and we bought it from the original owner. He had the original manual which I think was uploaded to the document page. I was impressed because the whole manual was hand done! All the drawings were by hand and all the writing was by hand. I've never seen anything like it in the way of a manual. We always wondered by the seam was vertical instead of horizontal like Bolers and Scamps. Someone may have mentioned the U-Haul CT-13 which, as I understand it, was an identical knock off of the Burro. All the competition may have created a very difficult business plan.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #69

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Brian, in your 'semi loads of parts', are there any actual trailer shells (inner and/or outer hulls)? If so, I can envision the possibility that some DIY types might want to buy a shell or two and build out a trailer for themselves.

Perhaps you might post a rough list of some of the components you have on hand, too. For example, frames? Axles? Cooktops? Furnaces? Some folks might need something to fix their older Burros.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #70

Trailer: BURRO
California
BURRO TRAILER History ???

ROGER & GINA & others interested ---

I purchased a 13' BURRO a couple years ago here in SO CAL and it was California Titled as a 1965 --- I have looked for a Manufactures Data Plate on /in the body and the Frame and have not found one ---
The TITLE shows a "Vehicle I.D.Number" as 57283 --
It is complete and unmodified except for a new Floor and Carpet & new Cabnet Doors and new Cushions and Dinet Table ---

In the "thread" it is mentioned that BURRO started making Trailers in 1970 -- I can not disprove this except for the fact that my Cal Title says mine is a 1965 ---

John D Reinhard
CORONA CA
John D Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #71

California
BURRO Trailer Manufacturing Date

I purchased a 13' BURRO a couple years ago here in SO CAL and it was California Titled as a 1965 --- I have looked for a Manufactures Data Plate on /in the body and the Frame and have found one on the "right" Tongue Bar with the SERIAL # stamped on a "welded on rectangular Plate ---

It is complete and unmodified except for a new Floor and Carpet & new Cabnet Doors and new Cushions and Dinet Table ---

In the "thread" it is mentioned that BURRO started making Trailers in 1970 -- I can not disprove this except for the fact that my Cal Title says mine is a 1965 ---

John D Reinhard
CORONA CA
Old 07-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #72

California
I have UPDATED this Message --- see latest Post
Old 07-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #73

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John D Reinhard View Post

I purchased a 13' BURRO a couple years ago here in SO CAL and it was California Titled as a 1965 --- I have looked for a Manufactures Data Plate on /in the body and the Frame and have found one on the "right" Tongue Bar with the SERIAL # stamped on a "welded on rectangular Plate ---

John D Reinhard
CORONA CA
If yours is the ONLY known trailer with a date of 1965 and there are no others pre-dating 1970 then the date on your title is pretty suspect of being a clerical error on the part of the person who filled out the information.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #74

Name: Julie
Trailer: starcraft
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBSMITH View Post
I've been wondering about them, too. The weird thing to me is that their website is still up some years after they've gone under.

I have heard rumors that some investors may revive the company. Just rumors. I have no real evidence of this.
What is the URL for this website??
odione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #75

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by odione View Post
What is the URL for this website??
It finally, finally died about 6-7 years ago which was more than 10 years after the last Burro was built.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #76

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I found the post by Burropartsman (post #61) to be most interesting. Schaller, Iowa is only about 700 people and in those situations every body knows nearly everything about everybody.

A journalist named Chuck Offenburger wrote for the Des Moines Register for years. His column “Iowa Boy,” was most interesting and as a speaker he was very funny with terrific timing. He said about rural Iowa “You could start out for town to go to coffee on an icy morning, slide off the road into the ditch, go get a tractor to pull you out, arrive at the coffee shop 10 minutes late and everybody in the restaurant would know you were stuck, who pulled you out and how much you tipped them as you walked through the coffee shop door.

So in small town Iowa, there aren’t many secrets that can’t be figured out for the price of a cup of coffee and a large danish roll. I’d drive over to Schaller Iowa (200 miles or 3 hours) if I was interested but I’ve got too much going on right now and do not see getting into the fiberglass trailer business at this late date. Good luck to anyone who pursues the “Burro Opportunity LLC”
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:42 PM   #77

Iowa
Love Bugs

My good friend Roy in TO asked me to research the Love Bugs made in Iowa. There was one that came to the Niagara Falls Rally two years in a row. They were made in Tripoli Iowa at one time. Pronounced Trip-Oh-La. With a little dogged determination and some serendipitous luck I located the son of the fellow who ended up with the molds after the factory burned and I interviewed him regarding his fathers production of the love bugs until he was unable to work any more. (about age 85). The molds were sold at auction and the guy who bought them gave Janesville Iowa as an address but once paid for, loaded up and hauled away who can say what became of them. Seems like fires are often involved in staggering businesses and those with legal problems. Why is that?
Iowa Dave
Old 04-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #78
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
[QUOTE=Iowa Dave;812622]My good friend Roy in TO asked me to research the Love Bugs made in Iowa. There was one that came to the Niagara Falls Rally two years in a row. They were made in Tripoli Iowa at one time. Pronounced Trip-Oh-La. With a little dogged determination and some serendipitous luck I located the son of the fellow who ended up with the molds after the factory burned and I interviewed him regarding his fathers production of the love bugs until he was unable to work any more. (about age 85). The molds were sold at auction and the guy who bought them gave Janesville Iowa as an address but once paid for, loaded up and hauled away who can say what became of them. Seems like fires are often involved in staggering businesses and those with legal problems. Why is that?
Iowa Dave[/QUOTE if the love bug you saw was blue and white it was probably the one I restored and sold to a fella in the Niagara area , I actually found if when someone was camping at the Algonnac rally but not attending . It was in pretty deplorable shape and I think I was able to get it for $700 00 but had a heck of a time convincing the Canada customs as the agent must of known the value of fg trailers but he could find none anywhere to use as a comparison so he had to let my receipt stand , the Love bug is very similar to the boler but was very poorly built ,even the fg was about half the thickness of a typical boler and had very poor quality awning style windows .the love bug was built by tri fab ,the one unique thing on their build was to take the boler taillight housing which is inset on the boler and reverse it and have it protrude outwards .they must of either did that to distinguish it from the boler or they did not how to install them correctly.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #79

Iowa
The folks that had the Love Bug at Niagara were taking a ride in the country, They lived near Cobleskill New York. She was an artist and they spotted the love bug setting out in a farm field pasture with a for sale sign on it. They found the owner and opened it up. Their first thought was to gut it and use it as a hauler for her artwork as they went to weekend art shows etc. I think she said they paid $350 for it. Once home with it the more they looked at it the more they thought it was salvageable as a camper. They were working on it the two years they came to Niagara. He ran out of gas when they went for a ride to the falls and was parked along the road. I recognized his tow rig and stopped, picked him up, took him for a gas can and some gas and got him back to the truck. It fired right up. They went on the wine tour, boy howdy did they. There are some around and they haven’t all been found. Always believe that.
Two of the six molds had perished in the Tri fab fire but the old boy who bought the remaining components also bought the trailers out in the lot. He converted two large chicken brooder houses on his farm, installed pullies, block and tackle etc and took one of the good ones apart and “reverse engineered” the two missing molds. He experimented with bigger units than just the 13 including a 17 with a bathroom according to his son who is now probably about 70 years old or better. The brooder houses are gone and no, he doesn’t have a new one hidden in the barn south of Tripoli a few miles. He made that clear to me. When the auction was over, everything was gone from the farm except the memory of an old man who built quite a number of Love Bugs all by himself.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #80

Iowa
This company was dissolved by my father about 15 years ago in Iowa. I have trailer loads of parts

Tags
burro