Casita 13ft deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: In the market
Ohio
Casita 13ft deluxe

I am in the investigation stage for a used Casita trailer. I see very few of the 13ft deluxe models for sale. Did Casita not sell many of these models or do they not appear on the market?

Thx

Dean
Dean Vorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita 13ft deluxe

Welcome to the forum, Dean. You are correct in noticing that 13' Casitas are relatively uncommon. Casita sells a lot more larger units. I have seen several 13'ers on the market this season, though, so they are out there. If that's what you're set on, you will have to be patient and keep a close eye on all the different classified sites.

Scamp sells more 13'ers and they're far more common on the used market. They are also available with a front bath. If you get a newer one (2007+) it has several inches more headroom inside that the Casita. It's a bit better insulated, too. But I guess I'm biased...

Be aware that with Casita, "deluxe" means bath models, but with Scamp, "deluxe" means wood interior versions.

Good luck in your egg hunt!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dean,

A 13' Casita was the FIRST "small" FG trailer I saw and loved it as I knew I could pull it with my 4cyl Nissan Frontier! Then I went home and got on the internet and found the Scamp as well and started researching them all out.

To make a long story short, "Jean" at Casita basically talked me OUT of buying a 13' Casita. She kept saying, "Your wife wont like it." "It's too small." I couldnt believe my ears!! From what I've heard, she's cost them more than just ONE sale doing that.

We had made up our minds to go ahead and buy a camper we could pull with what we had... a 13' FG trailer. Fine. I called Scamp and they would make the changes I wanted and were more reasonably priced than Casita so that's what I ordered-- even though they were about 400 miles FURTHER away!! This was spring of 2010.

So as to why you dont see as many 13' Casitas on the road? As Paul Harvey use to say-- "Now you know, the - REST - of the story".

Darral
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So, perhaps that's at the heart of the disparity- Casita is less committed to the 13' segment. Don't know if we should blame it all on "Jean" personally- it may be the company itself is more focused on the market segment for the bigger units. They seem to sell plenty of 17'ers. Wonder if their location in the sun belt has anything to do with it... OTOH, Scamp is very committed to the 13' segment. I've heard that two-thirds of their sales are 13'ers.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

Just saw this for sale on this forum. It's more than I gave for my 2010 Scamp new (but that was 3 yrs ago) It may be worth it to who ever is looking for a nearly-new (or new?) camper. I also like the 15" wheels. Hopefully he will post pics.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-60883.html

Another thing I liked on the Scamp is that they will sell you a top-mount A/C. Not sure if they will on the Patriot (13' Casita) or not.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
"Another thing I liked on the Scamp is that they will sell you a top-mount A/C. Not sure if they will on the Patriot (13' Casita) or not."

casita will not install a roof mounted a/c on a 13 or a 16. nor will they sell you a 17 with a front mounted a/c (i tried to talk them into it).

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #7

Thanks Patrick. That's what I thought. I like my roof mount as it frees up VALUABLE cabinet space in the small trailer. People are generally amazed at the cabinet space I have, especially since I have the bathroom version.

I know a lot of people argue about how much a roof mount affects the gas mileage and it may do it! But with my averaging 20 mpg, I don't worry about it.

Tags
casita