Burro door lock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #1

Name: Randi
Trailer: Burro
New Jersey
Registry
Burro door lock

I have a Bargman lock on the door to my 1986 13' Burro. The lock does not work, and the plate that holds the door latch has broken off. I am using Bungees to keep the door closed, and now the door seems to be hanging a little low. The lock is no longer made, and a replacement is going for $350 on eBay. I am currently staying in the Philadelphia area in New Jersey. Does anyone know of someone who can retrofit my door to accept a current lock? I need to do this inexpensively but securely. I do not have access to the tools to do it myself. If anyone here knows someone or can help me, I would appreciate it. Please PM me.
Randi in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
If the current door latch is intact enough to hold the door closed for you while you are camping in it, the easiest way to make it secure from others and from opening while traveling is to add a deadbolt. I did just that and it works great. I used a medium cheap bolt. Most have the optin of the 2 popular setbacks. You will need to drill a hold in the door and mount the catchplate to the frame but that is not terribly difficult. You will need to get a bolt that has a "thick door" adapter, since the Burro door is 2 1/4"thick at this point.

Once this is done you will have great security and the door will not pop open when you are traveling and you can adjust the closure with the placement of the catchplate so that the door closes tightly against the seal and does not leak.

Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro