Musing from a new Scamp owner - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #61

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Most of the problems encountered would take less time to fix than it takes to write the complaint.

In reality, one should not have to fix any problem(s) or write any complaint after taking delivery of a new trailer.

I might be as staunch a supporter of Scamp as you are if the Scamp I purchased hadn't had more defects, some major, THAN ANY OTHER TRAILER OR MOTORIZED VEHICLE I EVER OWNED. I attribute that to a lack of quality control, and given the fact that I read complaints here from other owners indicates that Scamp is not as fault free as you continually profess. I'm very happy for you that you love your Scamp and think it a great value with any required "fix" taking less time than it would to write a complaint. However, it is indisputable that not every person who owns or has owned a Scamp shares your sentiments.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #62

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
In reality, one should not have to fix any problem(s) or write any complaint after taking delivery of a new trailer.

I might be as staunch a supporter of Scamp as you are if the Scamp I purchased hadn't had more defects, some major, THAN ANY OTHER TRAILER OR MOTORIZED VEHICLE I EVER OWNED. I attribute that to a lack of quality control, and given the fact that I read complaints here from other owners indicates that Scamp is not as fault free as you continually profess. I'm very happy for you that you love your Scamp and think it a great value with any required "fix" taking less time than it would to write a complaint. However, it is indisputable that not every person who owns or has owned a Scamp shares your sentiments.

I have never owned a house ,or trailer, or motorized vehicle which didn't require a mod or two when I got it home. I haven't professed that Scamps are fault free, only that they are as fault free as anything made to compete with it.
If I ever found myself in a position wherein everyone else agreed with me, I would see it as an opportunity to reassess my position on the subject.

Every person has different skills, and different expectations and even different sentiments. Some folks don't share my sentiments, fine...
Ahh but some folks do... like Scamps like mine!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #63

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
One should never have to have a new car issue fixed under warranty either .... but we do
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #64

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
One should never have to have a new car issue fixed under warranty either .... but we do
Yes, that is true...but, I believe if I bought a new car today, and it had as many defects as the new Scamp that Gordon bought, it would be returned to the dealer!

Years ago a person could expect to have to return a big-3 American new car to the dealer several times for the corrections of defects. I think the fastest I had to return a new car to the dealer was about 12-hours from the time I drove the car from the dealer, and when I called a wrecker because the car would not go into reverse!

Thank God those day are gone in the auto industry!

Bill
Who loves his old Scamp 13...warts and all!
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #65

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I have never owned a house ,or trailer, or motorized vehicle which didn't require a mod or two when I got it home....]
I'm not talking about the my modifications in this thread. I am talking about things that broke and needed to be fixed or were manufacturing defects (such as gaps in sealant).

My current tug is 14.5 months old, has 15k miles, and not one problem. And except for some safety recalls and normal maintenance, my two prior cars were also trouble free for as long as I owned them*. And they are quite a bit more complicated than a camping trailer, and not really all that more expensive.

Fortunately the acorn nuts are just for appearance (right?), because I just noticed that one came off the bathroom wall. The Scamp is just over six months old and just under 2900 miles on it.

I’m pretty sure I have leaks 3 and 4 fixed. Waiting for the next shoe to drop and going camping while I wait.

* Full disclosure, I did sell one when it needed a big repair in its seventh year.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #66

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Years ago a person could expect to have to return a big-3 American new car to the dealer several times for the corrections of defects. ....
Thank God those day are gone in the auto industry!
Oh really? GM recalls 1 million trucks, posted nine hours ago: GM recalls 1 million trucks for faulty seat belts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #67

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh really? GM recalls 1 million trucks, posted nine hours ago: GM recalls 1 million trucks for faulty seat belts
Ha! Donna D. once again you have shown me the errors of my thinking!

My wife, Donna M. is even worse than you in correcting me!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #68

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
At least I feel like I'm in good company with your wife Bill.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #69

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Quality control issues and manufacturing defects aren't good for cars or camping trailers. Its hurtful. Money doesn't come easy, and it's just darn wrong in any scenario to spend thousands of dollars and find shoddy workmanship.
I would be really angry if I had purchased this trailer and found all these issues before it even had one bug splat on it, no matter what brand. The man has every right to be frustrated. If scamp is a more economical brand, then is this what their customers should expect? I think not. I think workmanship should still reflect a basic level of care appropriate for the products materials and intended use. And as far as fixing a few things up at home that aren't satisfactory? I still think the manufacturer needs to be notified, regardless of repair options taken. If the company is worth it's salt, and I believe scamp is, they would want to know and correct these problems immediately. Bottom line, quality control matters. And if it doesn't, brand image and sales will suffer. Its good to post here for end buyers, but let company know so they have the opportunity for corrective action.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #70

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Well said, Wendy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #71

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Yes, that is true...but, I believe if I bought a new car today, and it had as many defects as the new Scamp that Gordon bought, it would be returned to the dealer!

Bill

Who loves his old Scamp 13...warts and all!

Thank you Bill. Precisely my point. I expect that anything I buy may have a defect or two, although some have none. But when something new has a multitude of defects, i.e. the new Scamp that I had, I would have returned it to Scamp for a refund if I had been allowed.

Had I gotten into an accident due to the first Scamp screw-up (trailer brake wiring not complete; brakes didn't work) they would have dealt with my attorney. Discovered 10 miles down the road from Backus, that was only the first example of zero quality control I dealt with. Lights that didn't work because either the + or - wire was not connected, 2 fantastic fans that leaked because there was no butyl tape between the flange and the roof, a converter that ceased functioning on the return trip home, a furnace thermostat that did not work from day 1, and the list goes on and on.

I finally got to the point that I started referring to it as my Shoddily Constructed And Maintenance Plagued trailer. My Scamp reminded me of the first Harley I owned in the late 60's/early 70's. Had to work on it 3 hours for every hour I rode it. When a trailer somewhat replicates that experience, it loses its appeal. I am happy that there are Scamp owners out there who love their Scamps. In my case, I would go back to a tent or give up camping altogether before I would ever own another one.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #72

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=gordon2;581931

Fortunately the acorn nuts are just for appearance (right?), because I just noticed that one came off the bathroom wall. [/QUOTE]

Sorry to give you more bad news but normally a rivet that is holding something together is inside the acorn nut........ only time I have ever had an acorn nut fall off a wall was due to the rivet it was attached to having failed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Smile Thoughts from a Quality & Regulatory manager

Well, I have been a Quality Manager as a Tier I supplier to Ford, GM, Chrysler , and Toyota for 27 years. I have traveled to assembly plants from through out the US to Monterey MX to Dagenham England.

Current for the past 4.5 years I am the Director of Quality and Regulatory for a medical device manufacturer. So....I know a bit about Quality assurance. I am a certified Six Sigma Black Belt ..which is a quality methodology (look it up).

In addition, I have been to the Scamp factory three times and the "Amish" built Little Guy factory. Our 2016 13ft Deluxe is our 3rd Scamp.

Quite frankly, these are light weight trailers. They are hand built using the workforce pool that is available in Backus MN (Population 246). That being said, Scamps are a proven commodity and you know what you are buying.

I agree that some of the issues could be rectified pretty easy but Scamp does stand behind their product. Kent and Micah are responsive and will address issues and assist in getting you back on the road.

I had 3 tear drop trailers (can't stand up in them)...and they cost over $12,500. The Amish built is true but that is somewhat of a misnomer. I was there at the factory and saw the frames (imported from China), plastic sinks imported, wheels and tires, imported, the cabinets are pretty basic pocket drilled variety.

These are the best value for a small pull behind camper. There really isn't much that goes wrong. I have had $32,000 Harley CVO that rattled bolts loose, a 2010 Dodge Challenger Plum Crazy Purple SRT 8 that albeit nice, had its issues.

So in summary there are quality expectations congruent with price. Even though there are small leaks, the "rat fur" strips are not straight, and the caulking is sloppy, and we pay a fair price for all of this.

All in all.. Scamps are the low price alternative to Lil Snoozy...Escape...Casita and Egg campers....or even the $24,000 Dub box. The value proposition is they are the "Better" in the Good -Better-Best scenario.

I can not afford or.... choose not to afford an Air Stream Bambi so I will just be happy with what I have and enjoy my little Scamp 13 Deluxe......

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #74

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Things I have noticed since my Scamp got delivered on the 13th.

One of the hexagon bolt covers was on the floor in the bathroom and the caulking is loose from where it came off of.

None of the shore power worked and I had a panic attack until I talked to Kent in production and he told me to flip the 30 amp breaker a few times and see if that did the trick, it seems to have. (I had already flipped the breakers a couple of times but it took one more)

My refrigerator is not working on electrical power, I have not tried gas as I have not yet read the manuals on how to do so.

The shower floor is for sure squishy.

I have not tried hooking up the water and testing out the plumbing, as again, I have not yet read the manuals on how to do so.

However, last night my 6 year old grand daughter and I spent the night in it and watched Pirates of the Caribbean (I have installed a TV and DVD player as even with the antenna I can't get any local stations) and all that happened was she tried to kick me out of bed a couple of times and I had a nightmare about leaks that were so bad that it was like a faucet being turned on on my head
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #75

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
When we bought our first RV some local Rivers came over and showed us how to use everything. There has to be some fiberglass RV owners in your area.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #76

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
. . . Quite frankly, these are light weight trailers. They are hand built using the workforce pool that is available in Backus MN (Population 246). That being said, Scamps are a proven commodity and you know what you are buying.

I agree that some of the issues could be rectified pretty easy but Scamp does stand behind their product. Kent and Micah are responsive and will address issues and assist in getting you back on the road. . .
The problem for most of us is that these small, specialty companies have no dealer networks, so you can't just pop over to the nearby dealer for warranty service. For this reason, if no other, I think it is incumbent upon the manufacturers to make sure that their new units are free from the kind of defects that result from poor workmanship, and that everything is tested rigorously before it leaves the factory.

Aside from the light, small, cute value of molded fiberglass campers, the virtue most often touted is freedom from leaks.

Gordon2's leaks would seem to vitiate the whole point, and some of the other reports in this thread about poor QC in recent models should be extremely worrying to Scamp management. All it takes are a few reports like these to make the rounds and sales will plummet. I'm in the market for a used (or maybe new?) trailer, and this thread certainly gives me pause.

I'm surprised no one from Scamp itself has responded. If I were them, I'd send a replacement out to Gordon2 with profuse apologies, and bring his back for a staff demonstration.

Also, BTW, BillE's slam at "the workforce pool that is available in Backus MN (Population 246)" is uncalled-for. I'm sure there are good workers there, as everywhere, and if there are job openings, more will come. QC is a matter of training and a culture of taking pride in your work. That's up to management.

/Mr Lynn
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #77

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
The problem for most of us is that these small, specialty companies have no dealer networks, so you can't just pop over to the nearby dealer for warranty service. For this reason, if no other, I think it is incumbent upon the manufacturers to make sure that their new units are free from the kind of defects that result from poor workmanship, and that everything is tested rigorously before it leaves the factory.

Aside from the light, small, cute value of molded fiberglass campers, the virtue most often touted is freedom from leaks.

Gordon2's leaks would seem to vitiate the whole point, and some of the other reports in this thread about poor QC in recent models should be extremely worrying to Scamp management. All it takes are a few reports like these to make the rounds and sales will plummet. I'm in the market for a used (or maybe new?) trailer, and this thread certainly gives me pause.

I'm surprised no one from Scamp itself has responded. If I were them, I'd send a replacement out to Gordon2 with profuse apologies, and bring his back for a staff demonstration.

Also, BTW, BillE's slam at "the workforce pool that is available in Backus MN (Population 246)" is uncalled-for. I'm sure there are good workers there, as everywhere, and if there are job openings, more will come. QC is a matter of training and a culture of taking pride in your work. That's up to management.

/Mr Lynn
There are RV dealers in every neighborhood which can make repairs within the warranty period and approval is as close as a phone call.

As you say, a few bad reports can do disproportionate harm and an intelligent hearer will take them with the grain of salt deserved, especially when magnified by repetition or hyperboly.
(couldn't happen here of course)

Scamp has a policy and a history of dealing with customers directly, and I think fairly. This policy includes staying out of the blogs.

Warranties have a purpose, but it would be ridiculous to replace an entire trailer for minor defects.

The fact is that Scamp builds a quality product, as good as any of its competition. Every make has problems and there is often a shakedown period for each with adjustments and minor repairs followed by decades of reliable use.

Lil Snoozy did not replace the trailers which had spalling in the shell.

Parkliner did not the replace trailers which had ill fitting axles which caused the tires to contact the shell.

Escape did not replace the all the trailers made from 2009-2014 with defective frames.

I have seen defects on every make,some far worse than those mentioned in this thread.
Most of them were remedied on the spot, or locally, or by the manufacturers themselves... and the owners have gone on to enjoy their trailers without public complaint.

I see no chance for plummeting sales anytime soon, even if a few buyers are given pause by a few bad reports.
Perhaps pause is a good thing whenever there is doubt, further reflection could well result a satisfying purchase, or the purchase of another make only to find that it too has feet of clay.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #78

Massachusetts
Quote:
There are RV dealers in every neighborhood which can make repairs within the warranty period and approval is as close as a phone call. . .
So Scamp and the other fiberglass trailer manufacturers will guarantee to pay for any repairs made under warranty at independent RV dealers anywhere in the country? If true, that is reassuring.

Gordon2, sounds like you should get right over to your closest RV dealer and get all the problems dealt with on Scamp's dollar.

I'd suggest you get it in writing, though.

/Mr Lynn
Old 04-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #79

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
So Scamp and the other fiberglass trailer manufacturers will guarantee to pay for any repairs made under warranty at independent RV dealers anywhere in the country? If true, that is reassuring.

...I'd suggest you get it in writing, though.
That is how the warranties on direct-sale molded fiberglass trailers are written. It does require pre-approval from Scamp, which is the purpose of the phone call. I believe Gordon may have already had warranty work done locally on Scamp's dime. Others have reported the same. Be reassured.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #80

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That is how the warranties on direct-sale molded fiberglass trailers are written. It does require pre-approval from Scamp, which is the purpose of the phone call. I believe Gordon may have already had warranty work done locally on Scamp's dime. Others have reported the same. Be reassured.
Thanks, Jon. That is good news, especially for all of us newbies to the molded-fiberglass world. If I were marketing these trailers, I'd make sure that was prominently displayed on the websites, at least on their FAQs.

/Mr Lynn

Tags
scamp