Used Scamp 5th-Wheels / Raised Axle Option - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: Lori
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arkansas
Used Scamp 5th-Wheels / Raised Axle Option

We are thinking of replacing our 26', bumper-pull, stick-built camper with a used 5th-wheel Scamp. However, the height of our tow vehicle (F150 4x4) would require that the Scamp have the raised axle. Would it be better to wait for one that has this option or buy a regular one and have the axle work done? We are not in a rush to replace, but I don't recall ever seeing one listed that mentioned it had this option.
Lori L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
How long are you willing to wait to find an already raised axle trailer? That's the question you need to consider. By your own admission you said you had never seen one for sale!

The raised axle is an option on these 5th wheel trailers. If you add it yourself or find a 5th wheel trailer that meets you needs already done makes no difference. Adding the raised axle yourself lets you have piece of mind that you have a new axle, new rubber if a "Torsion" rubber reflex axle, new brakes and a proper axle alignment. Buying a trailer already equipped with the raised axle means you must review the condition of all those items I have listed above.

I would buy the best trailer you can find in your budget without regard to the axle. I would know up front my cost of installation of a raised axle before I purchased anything. Personally I would ADD the raised axle to the best trailer I could find if not so equipped. Yes that's an extra expense for you. If you did find a trailer with a raised axle already installed I think you would pay $0.00 premium for that axle as this very well could make the trailer less desirable to many buyer's.

A seller of an already raised axle trailer may "think" a raised axle on their trailer is worth a premium however many buyer's may have difficulty matching the trailer with the raised axle to their tow vehicle do to the additional trailer tongue height. There is a reason you see very few if any raised axle 5th wheels for sale,on the road or at camp grounds.. Most folks do not need it!

Buy the best 5th wheel you can afford and then make it your own by adding a raised axle if that's what you really need!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Arkansas
Used Scamp 5th-Wheels / Raised Axle Option

Good points! Thank you. My next question is logistical. It's not likely that we will find a Scamp 5th-wheel locally. Must the axle work be done before towing it home?
Old 08-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

Name: Vlad
Trailer: ETI 21 (on order)
Minnesota
Tow with F250 4x4

Hello Lori,
We have a 2004 Scamp 5th wheel (in good condition with everything working) that we tow with our Ford F250 4x4. We are interested in selling it at some point. I'm not sure exactly what is meant by raised axle, but in our case the scamp dealer custom-fit the trailer to our F250 (by raising the trailer with risers welded to the axle) when we bought it new in 2004. If you are at all interested (we live a bit too far from you in Rochester, MN) please give a holler and we will let you know all the details about the trailer.

Vlad
volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You really need to put down the tail gate and back your truck up to a 5r to determine if it is tall enough.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

Arkansas
Well, that might be a possibility. I'll PM you.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Arkansas
Would it be exact enough to park the truck on a level and measure the height of the bed from the ground?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori L. View Post
Would it be exact enough to park the truck on a level and measure the height of the bed from the ground?
That would be one good measurement but the bed rail height has changed and that is what is going to be the problem for clearance.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #9

Arkansas
Ah, got it. I did do some measuring, just for fun; not sure it will help, and it leads to another question.

• Distance from center of axle to back of cab: 40”
Distance from center of axle to inside of tailgate: 41”
Width of bed, measured from outer edges of plastic liner: 69”
Depth of bed, measured from top of plastic liner to bottom of grooves on plastic liner: 20”
Approx. distance from the bed to the ground when truck is level and empty: 32”
Distance from the top of the sides of the bed to the ground: 52” - Scamp site says if the sides of the bed are over 48" high, the axle may need raised.

The new question: the overall width of a *new* Scamp is 6’ 8”, according to Scamp's site. I'd have to check with Scamp to see if width has changed over the years, but using this measurement, when I draw this out, it shows that the camper would turn almost 90 to the truck before making contact with the back of the cab. Would we need a slider hitch?

Y'all are the best! Thanks for the input!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori L. View Post
Ah, got it. I did do some measuring, just for fun; not sure it will help, and it leads to another question.

Distance from the top of the sides of the bed to the ground: 52” - Scamp site says if the sides of the bed are over 48" high, the axle may need raised.
The new question: the overall width of a *new* Scamp is 6’ 8”, according to Scamp's site. I'd have to check with Scamp to see if width has changed over the years, but using this measurement, when I draw this out, it shows that the camper would turn almost 90 to the truck before making contact with the back of the cab. Would we need a slider hitch?
Y'all are the best! Thanks for the input!
Yup, you'll need a lift and possibly a larger tire size. I really wish they would lower the bed rails back to where they were, would sure make things easier again. Don't think Scamp ever changed the width, only the height after the fire. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone using a slider with a FGRV.....could be wrong on that though.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #11

Name: James
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel 1994/Ram 1500 2004 2 wheel drive
South Dakota
For Sale 5th wheel scamp fits 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive Dodge

I have a 1994 5th wheel scamp for sale. Needs some work but I pull it with 1/2 Ram 2 wheel drive. See my ad on this site
Jamesbucklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #12

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 to get my Scamp 5er to ride level and not try to hit the back corner of the bed rails I put on a 3in spacer on the axle and went to 15in wheels. 15000 miles later. No problems
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #13

Name: Ian
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Vermont
If someone is towing with a full sized pickup or a 4wd pickup they need the lifted axle to tow the trailer level. I tow mine with a toyota tundra and a lifted axle...i also had a nissan frontier. the lift is just a couple of pieces of steel welded to the frame. If you can see a space between the tire and the wheel well it is a lifted trailer.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #14

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25RQ
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yup, you'll need a lift and possibly a larger tire size. I really wish they would lower the bed rails back to where they were, would sure make things easier again. Don't think Scamp ever changed the width, only the height after the fire. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone using a slider with a FGRV.....could be wrong on that though.
Could you pull the trailer nose high until you could get larger tires and/or a lift done?

I have a 4x4 Chevy Silverado where the top of the bed rail is 51 1/2" off the ground and I was thinking about buying a 2002 Scamp 19'. I don't believe the trailer has been lifted and has wheels smaller than 15".
SSBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #15

South Dakota
Towing scamp 5th wheel camper

Scamp 5th wheel camper
I towed mine 600 miles with no problem and no sway. I made sure the fresh water tank and the greywater tank were empty, a lot of sway comes from too much weight behind the axle and not enough hitch weight. I used a 2004 1500 1/2 ton Ram 2 wheel drive pickup. My bed height is 33 inches and bed rail height is 53 inches. See pic. Also pics on my for sale ad here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-75623.html
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #16

Name: Von
Trailer: Scamp 19'
California
15 inch wheels & a 3 inch lift on the trailer will solve your clearance issue. My 19er came with the lift but needed the taller wheels to make everything level. My tv is a 2006 Tundra access cab 4wh dr. I also mounted the sewer hose under the trailer so it wouldn't get crunched on the truck bed when turning.
vt lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #17

South Dakota
Mine has extended hitch

My ball hitch was extended about 6 inches to give more clearance by the PO. I need the raised axle and 15 inch wheels next. Did the factory do yours? I live close enough to the factory I can drive over there in about 4 hours.

Tags
axle, scamp