Scamp Suburban furnace servicing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #1

Name: Ramsey
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
Scamp Suburban Furnace Servicing

Scamp Suburban furnace servicing
With fall approaching I decided to try my furnace. As expected, upon turning the thermostat on and turning up the thermostat up the fan kicked in, however, the heat never kicked in. I tried cleanilng the gas lines procedure as noted in the Surburban manual. Still no heat. I replaced the regulator since this is an older scamp (’93) and that can be a problem. Still no go. It’s looking like it may need servicing. The question becomes whether to remove the furnace for servicing or take the trailer to a rv repair shop. Anyone have a similar experience? It looks like a few rivets are attached on the front flange with not much else securing it???? Anyone have any experience with older Scamp furnaces
Thanks for any feedback….Ramsey
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Did you set the thermostat past the temperature in the camper. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Did you open the valves on the LP tank(s)?

It takes a while for the furnace to light.
First, it has to purge (blow out) any old gasses, then ignite the LP.
If no LP is present at the gas burner, it shuts down.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
When ours was doing that our thermostat on the wall was broken, that may not be your issue though but it is an easy fix if it is with a new one.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Wisconsin
yes the gas was turned on....lit the cooktop burners as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Have you checked the battery voltage? If insufficient, the sail switch won't open to allow gas to enter the furnace and burn, and all you'll get is fan. A battery in decent shape and with sufficient charge should read something like 12.5V-12.9V.

If that checks out, and you have made sure there are no spider webs or such in the orifice, I don't know what else to try. Most folks take the whole trailer in for service, not just the furnace.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Voltage checked out at 12.7. Whats the best way to access the orifice for cleaning?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
I had similar furnace problems with my 2005 Scamp surburban; replaced thermostat, and took Scamp to RV repair....3 times! Post repairs, make sure the RV repair guy turns furnace on while you are watching to make sure repairs were actually done correctly. I also bought a ceramic portable electric heater for times camping w. power. Actually, I like the heater better - more quiet.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
1 Light you stove first to make sure that the lines have gas not air.
2 try firing up the furnace, if it doesn't light after a few tries, then I would pull the unit and check the sail switch as the gas will not turn on if the sail switch for the fan does not activate properly.
3 If that doesn't work you may have a plugged jet.
4 pull the unit and check for dirt and bugs

They are a pretty easy unit to take apart but if you are concerned about servicing it then yes have a tech check it out.

I did make up a doc showing how to change out to newer style fans on the Casita forum and have included it. It shows what screws you take out to remove the unit. BTW the newer fans are much quieter that the metal ones.

Sorry the pdf is too big to post, PM me if you want a copy
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Our Casita has a Suburban furnace.

Sounds to me like the "sail switch" is not being operated when the fan is running. If the sail switch is not operated the gas will never come on.

Normally when the switch is operated the control board will turn on the gas and you'll hear a click of the gas solenoid.

Several things can cause this.

If on battery power the voltage could be low.
Blower motor might need lubricated.
Blower motor bad
Switch is hung up on something
Switch is bad

As I remember you can see the "sail" operate with the front cover off.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Registry
Heater Fan Switch

Had the same problem. Found that the 'sail' switch was rubbing on the cabinet and not allowing the gas to turn on. The sail micro switch sits in the fan air flow, has a big tab on it that catches the air and has to close before the gas can turn on. If you take the front off, the 'sail' switch is located near the back lower left corner and can be seen with a flashlight looking between the inner housing and the outer housing (hopefully I remember its location correctly, its been years since). Check if it is free to move without restriction with a long piece of something. If you can't reach it, you will have to remove the heater (not a bad job - just the gas fitting, a few wires and a few screws) and check it. I took mine out and disassembled half the heater before I knew it existed and found the rub.

Good luck. Hope it is that simple
BillF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Recap: Surburban furnace servicing

As mentioned in a previous post ...In order to start my furnace, i turned on the gas on the propane tank. I then lit the individual stove top burners to make sure propane was flowing. I then turned the thermostat on and adjusted the temperature until the blower kicked in. Heat was never generated while the blower was running for a considerable amount of time. I'm guessing it's a switch issue. Also, i did install a new Camco 2 stage regulator. This had been mentioned in serveral YouTube videos as a potential problem with the firing up of RV furnaces. Regulators have a tendency to begin to fail after 10-12 years. Still no heat.

Thanks for all the suggestions offered. Not sure I’ll tackle just yet. I did find a Servicing manual (pdf link below) It provides some useful info regarding many Surban furnace models. Included are the steps for removing furnace for various models
http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Suburban_Service_Manual.pdf

thanks, Ramsey
Old 08-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillF View Post
Had the same problem. Found that the 'sail' switch was rubbing on the cabinet and not allowing the gas to turn on. The sail micro switch sits in the fan air flow, has a big tab on it that catches the air and has to close before the gas can turn on. If you take the front off, the 'sail' switch is located near the back lower left corner and can be seen with a flashlight looking between the inner housing and the outer housing (hopefully I remember its location correctly, its been years since). Check if it is free to move without restriction with a long piece of something. If you can't reach it, you will have to remove the heater (not a bad job - just the gas fitting, a few wires and a few screws) and check it. I took mine out and disassembled half the heater before I knew it existed and found the rub.

Good luck. Hope it is that simple
Bill,
thanks for your response. I located the sail switch it just as you described. The sail switch moved freely. It activated when the fan came on....just no heat. May have to pull the unit and have it serviced. thanks again for your thoughts.
Ramsey
Old 08-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

Have you checked the sail switch yet?

No sail switch operation = no gas valve operation

Joe
Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Moderator's Note: This thread is a merger of duplicate threads. As some suggestions were made (by different people) on each of the original threads, this new version of the thread has some redundancy. C'est la vie.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #16

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Have you checked the sail switch yet?

No sail switch operation = no gas valve operation

Joe
Joe,
yes, the sail switch moved freely when i manually moved it. When i activated the blower the switch activated as well......Ramsey
Old 08-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Moderator's Note: This thread is a merger of duplicate threads. As some suggestions were made (by different people) on each of the original threads, this new version of the thread has some redundancy. C'est la vie.
wasn't sure how to remove the duplicate post. Could you tell me the procedure?
thanks for linking together.....Ramsey
Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #18
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Ramsey. You can edit or delete a post for a few hours after it's first posted, but if it's the first one in a thread, I don't think it works the same way. In other words, I don't think a Member can delete a thread, even if they are the Original Poster (OP). Merging duplicates requires (required) moderator intervention. About the only thing you could have done differently would have been to notify one of the site team that our help was needed. It's all taken care of for now, though. Back to some good discussion on the furnace servicing.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #19

Ramsey.

Since you've verified the sail is not hanging up maybe you can turn the furnace off and reach in with a long bent wire of something and operate the sail by hand and listen for the switch to "click"

I don't know if that is possible or not, just a suggestion and would depend on ambient noise and your hearing

Joe
Old 08-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Sometimes if there's air in the propane line it takes a few minutes for the furnace to kick on. Listen for ignighter, it'll buzz a bit when trying to light furnace. Let it go for a few tries before giving up. If you don't hear the buzz there's stuff to look at like sail switch, the actual ignighter.
Good luck

Tags
furnace, scamp