Passing of Duane Eveland of Scamp fame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Passing of Duane Eveland of Scamp fame

Obituary For: Duane Eveland | Kline Funeral Home
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
He left a very good impression on this world. He will be missed.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #3

North Carolina
I have written quite a bit on this forum about my experience in buying a new Scamp last year - for the most part documenting some problems I have had. But no one can deny that the Scamp Camper is the iconic travel trailer. It is desired by artisans and pragmatics alike – a unique blend of practicality and style. And the business has survived a devastating fire, and economic downturn. It now continues with more orders than they can fill except in a time-frame of many months. This is quite a legacy for Duane Eveland, even by itself.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
He is remembered and definitely appreciated by many here for having created a great product and an enduring enterprise.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

North Carolina
And with corrected spelling:

I have written quite a bit on this forum about my experience in buying a new Scamp last year - for the most part documenting some problems I have had. But no one can deny that the Scamp Camper is the iconic travel trailer. It is desired by artisans and pragmatists alike – a unique blend of practicality and style. And the business has survived a devastating fire, and economic downturn. It now continues with more orders than they can fill except in a time-frame of many months. This is quite a legacy for Duane Eveland, even by itself.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:04 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Thanks

I never met Duane but did meet Kent and perhaps other Evelands when visiting the factory in Backus a couple years ago. I am certainly appreciative of his accomplishments and really enjoy our Scamp 16.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:28 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And with corrected spelling:

I have written quite a bit on this forum about my experience in buying a new Scamp last year - for the most part documenting some problems I have had. But no one can deny that the Scamp Camper is the iconic travel trailer. It is desired by artisans and pragmatists alike – a unique blend of practicality and style. And the business has survived a devastating fire, and economic downturn. It now continues with more orders than they can fill except in a time-frame of many months. This is quite a legacy for Duane Eveland, even by itself.
Very good post Gordon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
While Duane Eveland didn't create the design, he certainly deserves credit for (1) recognizing a great idea, (2) building a sustainable manufacturing operation, and (3) staying faithful to the original vision of a simple, lightweight, durable, and affordable entry-level travel trailer. Under his stewardship, Eveland's Inc. became the oldest molded fiberglass travel trailer manufacturer in continuous operation.

Their top-selling model, the Scamp 13 is the longest running and most prolific molded fiberglass model ever made. It's the VW Beetle of the RV world: classic shape, simple design, incremental change, user serviceable, infinitely customizable, charmingly imperfect. I feel privileged to be the custodian of one.

I have often wished Backus were more conveniently located, but I respect Eveland's commitment to the small town of his roots. In an age of mega-corporations whose only loyalty is to faceless shareholders, I believe the world needs more businesses like this one and more men (and women) like Mr. Eveland to build them.

His rest is well-earned.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp