'71 Trails West Campster 13' for Sale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact II and Trails West Campster
Angry

We just bought this Campster, and a month later, got rear-ended in Kansas City! Damage includes: all wooden cabinets & drawers broken, floor broken inside door under vinyl, door smashed in at bottom, 1 hole in fiberglass where bench poked through front, and 1 hole in back driver side, tail lights & blinkers broken. What works: A/C added to front window, electrical, 2-burner propane stove, electric dorm fridge, has a new hitch jack. We don't know if the water ever worked, we didn't get to try it, but could check that out if anyone interested.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Sorry to hear that...

Especially given the damage, you might want to post some photos.

Mike
Old 07-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #3

Okay...I can't get my pictures to post. I keep getting a message that I need to reduce the size of the file. Even if I just post 1 picture. Can someone help me out? Please.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Photo Upload Tutorial
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 07-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #5

Here are some pics. This is a learning experience! We are asking $400 OBO. I may have better luck e-mailing pics. If anyone is interested, email through this board.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Hi Sherry,

Been thinking about the sad story of your trails west campter's demise. Since your pictures aren't posting, it is hard to say how bad the damage is. But... what I have learned after a year with my trailer is this, almost everything can be repaired. The great thing about fiberglass is that you can fix it. Surfboards are made of fiberglass and get dinged and even broken. For the most part, you can put them back together with more fiberglass so they look and work like new.

Also, re the cabinets and floor, most of us with these old trailer end of pulling up the vinyl and carpet anyways. Once we get the floor up, we think about tearing up everything else and starting over. And, we realize, its no big deal. Cabinets built in 1971 aren't going to last forever, so at some point you might have yanked them out anyways and put new ones in. I am already thinking about that. After trying to fix mine with wood putty, I think I have more putty than wood. So, what I am trying to say is, sad as it is, you might have made these changes inside in a year or so anyways.

As long as the frame is okay, not all is lost. The lights are an easy fix, the doors on most of these old trailers sag anyways, so a new one might be a good idea. My door fell completely off on the maiden voyage home. The seller said it would vibrate open, but we didn't expect the whole door to come off, including the hinges. 36 years (1971 trailer) calls for a few mods. Maybe you just got forced into yours a little sooner than you would have liked.

In any event, I am sorry about your incident, and hopefully you will try again, maybe even on this trailer. I can tell you they are alot of fun, and great to camp in. I can't imagine a bed more comfortable than the trails west, because it is square and big. But probably everyone says that about their trailer.

Hope it all works out for you

Kim
Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('ye ole bucket')
Sorry to hear about your accident.. I was also rear ended on my way camping... i made a left turn and some young kid decided to pass around me about that same time. ( not watching my signal lights) I was lucky tho.. it just bent the spare tire bolts, and one of the tail lights.. I was totally paranoid about people coming up behind me and still am.. seems like they go so fast when approaching...
I hope you can sell your little trailer.. or salvage it and be back on the road again.....
Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the encouragement! I also agree, the bed is a great asset...so roomy, it's even bigger than our bed at home. My husband isn't the greatest fixer-upper, and I don't think he wants to attempt this challenge. Unfortunately, his Dad owned a body shop, but the talent didn't rub off on Son. I'm sure he would have fixed her up again. We'll see what happens. I have tried e-mailing pictures to 3 others. Don't know if it was successful, but could give it another shot if anyone else wants to try e-mail. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have received the pics. Only one was blurry and that showed the overall exterior damage. The interior pics was like it was described, basically the cabinets fell apart. Similarly described as above with an older trailer.

I had planned to use the trailer as a basis for my ambulance box camper-conversion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3210.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	9348

As its the same basic dimensions as the Campster.

Or I would look at rebuilding the back end with other easily handable materials (non-fiberglass) like wood to make it work. I just have too many projects going on at this time that I don't think I'll finish till I retire from work....19 years from now.

Moderator's note: Image resized for rendering on FiberglassRV
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
my welder has the truck to tow that!

He has one of the *M.A.S.H.* props from the movie as his tug when he tows his mobile stuff. (The thing is great.. he keeps it alive and shiney!

Tags
campster, trails west