Bigfoot 5th Wheel Propane tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Bigfoot 5th Wheel Propane tanks

Just purchased a 1984 Bigfoot 5th wheel. Tanks sit on their side. The guy I purchased it from said they are standard tanks. My understanding is that propane tanks should not sit on their sides. Anyone have any wisdom on the tanks? If he has put standard tanks in do I need to replace them?
Timothy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: Tom
California
Bigfoot 5th wheel propane tanks

In my 86 Bigfoot 5th wheel trailer the propane tanks are in the locker under the overhead part by the hitch. Both tanks are vertical in there, and they are standard tanks. Can take a photo for you if you need it.
Tom Y
Tom Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy B View Post
Just purchased a 1984 Bigfoot 5th wheel. Tanks sit on their side. The guy I purchased it from said they are standard tanks. My understanding is that propane tanks should not sit on their sides. Anyone have any wisdom on the tanks? If he has put standard tanks in do I need to replace them?
:Tanks sit on side in a lot of larger trailers, CLass B, C, & A Motorhomes I have had all three and the vertical ones and never ever a problem other than running dry and having to find propane dealer. The ones that are removal are the Vertical ones on a Trailer tongue.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Like the OP, I was under the impression a different kind of tank is used for a horizontal mount. The best answer will come from your local LP supplier. They can tell you not only whether you have the correct kind of tank but also if they are up to date and safe to use. I doubt they will charge anything just to look at it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #5

Name: Tim
British Columbia
Thanks. I will have someone look at them to make sure they are OK. Google searches seem to indicate they are special tanks, like on a forklift if they are to be laid on their side. The tank's earmarked for the side run in the $200 range rather than the deals you get at Costco. Just thought there might be a Bigfoot owner who might have also ran into this.
Timothy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:37 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
LP tanks are internally designed for use in one mounting stance or another. If your tanks are working as they're mounted you're good to go. On different RV's I've seen with dedicated LP compartments, there is no room to change the mounting position of the tanks. A forklift tank would still be fine, it's still the same LP.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, propane