EggCamper changes/additions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
EggCamper changes/additions

After being gone from home for 11 days so far, we've decided that our EggCamper being all electric is not satisfactory. When we get home we'll have a furnace and propane cook top added.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sounds like a nice addition. Personally, I love propane.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Bob, I added propane to our EggCamper. It's nice to be able to have heat off grid. I didn't bother to add a cooktop. We always cook outside. But, I also replaced the original electric water heater with an Atwood combination electric/propane unit. It means cutting another hole in the side of the camper, but well worth it. I installed it in the same location as the original WH. Two 11# tanks fit nicely in a tongue box.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I think its a wise idea. Unfortunatly every time you go out there is no gaurantee that electricity is going to be availible everywhere everytime. Its better to be versatile and prepared.

I wouldn't trade my 3 way fridge for a dc powered one for nothing. Yeah in an ideal world solar will do the job but a few dark and stormy days....nah...I want the 3way fridge manufacturers to start makeing them more efficient so I can run them on solar, and if the weather is gonna be iffy, switch it to propane as a backup plan.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I felt the same way with my EggCamper. Do not forget the propane and carbon detectors also. Once you get the propane heat installed you will then feel the need to use the trailer in cold weather and possibly insulate the unit better. That was when I decided to upgrade.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

Name: Dan
Trailer: 79 scamp 13'
Minnesota
I'm adding a propane furnace to mine as well. My question is with running the lines. Do you have to tee off of the regulator, or can you tee off the main line after it is in the camper? I want as few holes as possible in the floor.
Dan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
I'm adding a propane furnace to mine as well. My question is with running the lines. Do you have to tee off of the regulator, or can you tee off the main line after it is in the camper? I want as few holes as possible in the floor.
You can T off the line any place after the regulator.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
Do you have to tee off of the regulator, or can you tee off the main line after it is in the camper? I want as few holes as possible in the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You can T off the line any place after the regulator.
I agree that you can add a tee wherever you need, but the fewer fittings and the less line in the interior the better, so tees under the floor with separate lines coming up to each appliance are desirable. I would only tee in the interior for directly adjacent appliances. As with all design decisions, it's a compromise with no single perfect answer.

Previous discussions have dealt with what material is appropriate in each location... I think it's worth searching for those if you have any questions or concerns.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that you can add a tee wherever you need, but the fewer fittings and the less line in the interior the better, so tees under the floor with separate lines coming up to each appliance are desirable........
I agree, better to have fittings outside the trailer.

Adding a hole to the floor is not such a bad thing, especially if you seal the inner perimeter of the hole to protect the plywood.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
If I lived anywhere but in the deep south or it we ever boondocked I would add propane too. Down here all the state parks have electricity! We're staying at a park in Illinois in April and while they have electricity, it looks like they don't have water at every site - the same thing happened the very first night we spent in our EggCamper up in Michigan - electricity but no water! What's up with that?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
It's a lot of work winterizing water lines. And most locations are on wells.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
.......... the same thing happened the very first night we spent in our EggCamper up in Michigan - electricity but no water! What's up with that?

In Michigan most of us carry packets of dehydrated water.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #13

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
In Michigan most of us carry packets of dehydrated water.

Ah the good old days!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #14

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Tom.... I have those dehydrated water packs also. They are so handy you just have to add water and stir. They are great!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Tom.... I have those dehydrated water packs also. They are so handy you just have to add water and stir. They are great!
I started using them when I was backpacking. They save a heck of a lot of weight.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #16

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Previous discussions have dealt with what material is appropriate in each location... I think it's worth searching for those if you have any questions or concerns.
You might want to look at the U haul repair manual in the document center. It gives some insight to modifying propane systems as to materials venting etc.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper