Rumors from Scamp - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #61

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I wish you could watch an Oliver being built, you would quickly find an exception to the "poorly constructed" rule. Having owned two of them and been to the factory 20 or more times, I can tell you honestly that they are of the same quality (build, fit and finish) as any yacht.

Yes, you will and worth every cent.
Seen them, wouldn't trade!...But then I wouldn't trade my Mustang for Bentley either!
Knowing full well that the cost of ownership would be too high and the fun of operation too low.
Is there going to be an Oliver13?? I know they discussed it once.
Hey...It does have an RVIA sticker!( they don't makem chrome any more)

Rumor has it that back in 1917, a Packard driver pulled up along side a $360 Model "T" . He looked over with disdain and yelled...
"HEY! What's all that rattling noise I'm hearing?"
The guy in the Model "T" just smiled back and replied...
"That's $5000 of change in the trunk!"
(They still make Fords)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #62

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I am sure there are well built campers. I just didn't see any at Camping World. There are cheap boats too......
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #63

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Without saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Rumor has it that back in 1917, a Packard driver pulled up along side a $360 Model "T" . He looked over with disdain and yelled...
"HEY! What's all that rattling noise I'm hearing?"
The guy in the Model "T" just smiled back and replied...
"That's $5000 of change in the trunk!"
(They still make Fords)
You're right Floyd. Fun and pleasure are definitely not related to cost or shine.

It's how you use your time.

Our cost of living, the amount of our living space, the cost of our travel has dropped dramatically since we retired, yet we are having the time of our lives.

I would not take anything, except our children, over the time we've had had traveling together in an RV for the last 14 years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #64

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Is there going to be an Oliver13?? I know they discussed it once.
Personally, I would like to see them make a 19, 19.5, or 20. Something in between the two they make now. I know, you just can't satisfy some folks.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #65

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On an Oliver, I would LOVE to have a 14'! Well...maybe a 15' But since they could average about $2000 a foot...hmm... Ok.. I'll go with a 13'.

Wow...just figured it up. My Scamp-- $965 a foot for 13'. Gee makes me wanna go home and polish my belly band and some rivets!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #66

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

Wow...just figured it up. My Scamp-- $965 a foot for 13'. Gee makes me wanna go home and polish my belly band and some rivets!!
By Gosh I think you finally got it!!!

Love the one your with Darral. Divorce can be expensive!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #67

So what's the ole 18' Oliver running this time around, base price without options?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #68

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
So what's the ole 18' Oliver running this time around, base price without options?
Base List Price = $38,000. I just checked with them this morning.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #69

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Scamp Value

Quote:
On an Oliver, I would LOVE to have a 14'! Well...maybe a 15' But since they could average about $2000 a foot...hmm... Ok.. I'll go with a 13'.

WOW, we sold a 10 year old Scamp 13'er for just over $10K, that's $769 a foot. Deprecation? What's that about?????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #70

Gee...@ $769 per foot for a 10 yo Scamp? Doesnt sound like MUCH depreciation! I was pricing mine new from 2010!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #71

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Last year when we bought our new camper price was the best on a Scamp. For a fix income we can not look at the top of the line. SS only goes so Far . We would like a better camper but I see a Scamp better than a tent. Also it had a better lay out with more room it than some others. Also more counter space than others. Also tows good not like the box type campers.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #72

What size tires? Did u get yours with a bath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
Last year when we bought our new camper price was the best on a Scamp. For a fix income we can not look at the top of the line. SS only goes so Far . We would like a better camper but I see a Scamp better than a tent. Also it had a better lay out with more room it than some others. Also more counter space than others. Also tows good not like the box type campers.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #73

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
No water tank , no shower, no stove , no gray tank, 13 inch Scamp tires the 5000 mile ones.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #74

Sounds like yours is on the "lighter" side of the scales that's good. I thought Scamp had gone to at least 14" on the 16's. They NEED to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
No water tank , no shower, no stove , no gray tank, 13 inch Scamp tires the 5000 mile ones.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #75

Registry
Quote:
Sounds like yours is on the "lighter" side of the scales that's good. I thought Scamp had gone to at least 14" on the 16's. They NEED to.
13" C Load is the standard.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #76

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
So you think they really need 15s
The 13s are rated to carry a 3100# trailer with adequate tongue weight.
Figure the average Scamp actually weighs about 2400# with 300# on the tongue. That leaves 2100# on the axle on tires rated for 2720#.
That's a 30% margin on stock tires... More than adequate for OEM.
That hardly represents a NEED for larger wheels and tires.
Those who desire them can simply order them on their trailer or change them after purchase.

Every one of my cars received new tires on the day of purchase, but I upgraded my Scamp tires only after four years and 27000 miles...(didn't see the need.)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #77

Floyd...are your eyes failing??? I never said anything about 15" tires/wheels. As Carol says, with the 13" C Loads (which is what I have)....rethink... for me, 175's are 1360 each. With my 13' trailer weight 1700lbs empty..yes...they're more than adequate! If his tires are the 185's then again, and his trailer is 2400lbs or lighter, as I stated, he's plenty of safe with them. You were a participant on the Scampers Yahoo group at one time when SO many were writing in that their 16' and 19' Scamp tires were blowing. RARELY ever mentioned was a 13'er. Why??? You KNOW the answer.

Glad to see at least you can still do simple math. Too bad you cant read others' posts correctly.

Quote:
So you think they really need 15s
The 13s are rated to carry a 3100# trailer with adequate tongue weight.
Figure the average Scamp actually weighs about 2400# with 300# on the tongue. That leaves 2100# on the axle on tires rated for 2720#.
That's a 30% margin on stock tires... More than adequate for OEM.
That hardly represents a NEED for larger wheels and tires.
Those who desire them can simply order them on their trailer or change them after purchase.

Every one of my cars received new tires on the day of purchase, but I upgraded my Scamp tires only after four years and 27000 miles...(didn't see the need.)
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #78

Registry
Quote:
You were a participant on the Scampers Yahoo group at one time when SO many were writing in that their 16' and 19' Scamp tires were blowing. RARELY ever mentioned was a 13'er. Why??? You KNOW the answer.

LOL well here is my casual observation of the topic of tires - whether it be on Yahoo or here.

It does not matter what make/size/brand that are on a trailer, tires will fail for a multitude of reasons yet there will be many who will blame it on the Brand &/or size &/or load rating of the tires the manufacture or PO but on the trailer no matter what make &/or size they used
Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #79

"Marathons" caught the most havoc during the hottest "tire failure" period if I recall. From all the posts, one cant HELP but feel there possibly COULD have been a problem with a run of those tires??

[QUOTE
It does not matter what make/size/brand that are on a trailer, tires will fail for a multitude of reasons yet there will be may who will blame it on the Brand &/or size &/or load rating of the tires the manufacture or PO but on the trailer no matter what make &/or size they used [/QUOTE]
Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #80

Registry
Quote:
"Marathons" caught the most havoc during the hottest "tire failure" period if I recall. From all the posts, one cant HELP but feel there possibly COULD have been a problem with a run of those tires??
Perhaps but as they are a very poplar brand amongst trailer owners it could possible have been the number of failures reported was simple related to the number of them on the road vs other less popular brands. Or it may also be that people put so much faith in to the fact they have such a good tire on their trailer vs some no name made in China tire they are not as diligent about checking their tires and maintaining them as they would if they had the cheaper tires.

Tags
scamp