Need Scamp cushions NYS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Past: 1983 13' Scamp; 1984 16' Scamp
New York
Need Scamp cushions NYS

Need all cushions for 16' scamp; dinette/bed and couch/bunk and poles. Scamp wants 625 plus 300 shipping to Syracuse NY.
Getting estimate to have made but expects that will be costly also. Anybody?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
SandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I have a 13' Scamp and am a seamstress, not for hire. The cushions are simple in design and structure and should be easy for a seamstress/tailor to make. Because the cushions are covered in a heavy weight fabric an industrial sewing machine would be the best and most home sewers do not have an industrial machine. I suggest contacting a trusted person who does alterations exclusively or associated with a dry cleaner. An upholsterer should be able to do this job. You probably will need to provide the fabric, foam, zipper and pattern. At the very least you will need the pattern. If you have the old cushions you could give the seamstress those. If not, trace and measure carefully the outline of all the cushion spaces using brown kraft paper. If it's convenient you could even drive your trailer up to their door!

Since you may have your cushions made custom you may want to have the cushions made in shorter pieces so you have easier access to the hatches under the seats. What I mean is, instead of one long cushion you could have two cushions. However, this may involve more labor and therefor more cost.

You are actually in a very good position to choose your own foam and fabric so you get a custom look. You may be able to get both at a discount. Ask the seamstresses you are considering for recommendations for discount sources of foam, fabric and zippers. Also ask them to estimate and amount of yardage and the number, length and type of zippers you will need. You may also need to supply thread. If your fabric has any type of repeated print or plaid you will need more yardage. Ask your seamstress how to estimate.

When choosing your foam keep in mind that most people find the factory-installed Scamp cushions too firm for a comfortable sleep (Including me). You might want to get a slightly softer density foam. Do not go too soft, however, as the seat will be too squishy.

See my solution to a good night's sleep at this posting #11 http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-54811.html and see my photos. I will be glad to consult with you in a PM (private message) if you like.

Personally, I would have preferred softer cushions and I would top them with a cut to size wool fleece mattress topper (and eliminated my foam topper)https://warmthingsonline.com/wool_fleece_mattress_pads if I had had the choice and the money to do so.

Lastly, I suggest you look up previous postings regarding cushions and bedding on this FGRV forum. Go to the tab at the top of the page that says "Search" go to the bottom of the drop down menu and put in the words "bedding", "cushions", etc. in the Google Search window. Best of luck.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
See Dale's recent posting http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-69405.html. I'll send him the link to your posting. Perhaps you can help one another.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamps pricing on replacement items are always pretty good but the shipping costs are over the top on everything! They have only one way of shipping things and its the most expensive which is unfortunate. Perhaps you could ask them to send it to you via Greyhound Package Express or another cheaper means.

I have redone the cushions on my Scamp 16' and in hindsight what Scamp asks for the cushion covers is a pretty good price! For one thing if your not a pro seamstress its a big job that could take awhile if you are wanting a real good nice fit on the covers.

You are going to need about 10 yards of fabric and good indoor/outdoor upholstery fabric or just upholstery fabric is going to cost about $30 a yard when not on sale. Yes you can look for a 50% off sale but 9 times our of 10 I can't find a fabric on sale I like and end up paying full price or if an fabric I like is on sale they don't have enough on the roll. :-( You may have more success finding some in NY though - fabric shops are becoming few and far between around here. You do not want to use a cheaper high content cotton fabric as it will stretch and fade fast with wear. The fabric that Scamp uses has proven to stand up to the test of time.

Add to the cost of the fabric the cost of thread (you will need a lot), cost of the long zippers needed - you will need a specialty fabric shop that sells the zippers on rolls by the length, the cost of the yards and yards of cording for making the piping or if you don't make it yourself the cost of the pre made piping.

When sewing a upholstery grade fabric it can get hard on the machine to go through 4 lays ( two sides & Piping) together, so if you don't have a work horse of a sewing machines it may struggle.

Doing the cushion covers myself cost me more than had I just purchased then from Scamp as well as saved me several full days of work. But on the plus side I did end up with custom covers in a colour I liked. If I had to pay someone else to make them for me I have no doubt the total cost of making the covers would have been double what Scamp sells them for.

Re foam. The good news was I did not need to replace the foam in my trailer as I know from having had to purchase it in the past for other projects that it can get very pricey! So again I would not be surprised if Scamps prices on it are very good compared to purchasing it elsewhere.

It may be worth doing a camping road trip to Scamp to pick up what you need.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The big Scamp shipping expence is for shipping the foam. Get a price for the covers only then get a price for your foam locally. I think someone on the SOI site just made their own covers and had their removed covers for sale.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Again, I would not buy cushions until I actually had the trailer. Why do you want to buy cushions when you don't even have a trailer? You may find another brand and then you have Scamp cushions, or don't forget, these trailers are basically hand made and may not be consistent in size. We sold our cushions for the rear bed and bought one big piece of foam and keep it as a bed.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Again, I would not buy cushions until I actually had the trailer. Why do you want to buy cushions when you don't even have a trailer? .
Roger I take it from other posts the OP has made that they have a Scamp 16' already - they just need to update their profile to reflect that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #8

New York
THANKS for all suggestions! Yes, I have the camper, but no cushions. I had a seamstress come over For measurements and am awaiting her estimate. I'll better be able to make a decision after I hear. Just thought I'd see if anybody nearby is selling theirs. Would've saved me a bit, I'm sure. But yes, having them done means I get to pick the material! I seem to be so picky with pattern, yet can't move forward til I select the color scheme. I'll enjoy that though.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #9

New York
Per seamstress:
4" foam, Dinette and bunk, $320
Her work, 20 hrs, $400
Template, $20
Zippers, etc $50
Material, 11 yds...whatever I get. $$
And we have to make bunk bed platform. I have no template for that!

Tags
scamp