Boler Mods. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #61
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
And a couple more.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0007.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1098
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0008.JPG  
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #62
Con

For window Rock Guard:
The hanger clips and snap latch clips are held on with 10-24 SS Truss head bolts with white nylon washers to prevent leaks. The other clips are fastened to the cover with 3/16"alum. pop rivets. I had to put a slight bend in the latch hoops to set around the window gasket and the cover edging. Otherwise you can not do up the snaps. All the the clips had to be formed just right to get the cover to fit firmly against the window gasket.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #63

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Very nice. I also note the use of Trim-Lok around the rock guard - makes for a very clean look.

I had been thinking when I make my rock guard it would be of a large, thin plastic sheet from a dropped ceiling panel available at Home Depot and secured to a wood frame with enough cross mullions to stiffen it.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #64
Con

Myron, I would strongly recommend avoiding using wood framing. If you look in Home Depot they have a rack of various anodized alumnium shapes that would be much better.
I will give you some examples. On the Boler, when I dropped the water tank out the support platform was the fiberglass panel cut out from the rear window. It was framed with 2x2 wood which was rotten. Also when I separated the door skins there were only 5 horizontal wood strips in the door for support, just junk. Also we have a Featherlite all alumnium horse trailer that are now about $20,000 to buy new. I could not believe it when the wind caught the door and flung it back an ripped the door apart. The wood framing in the door was soaked and rotten. For an exspense trailer why would they use wood??
Rather than repair it myself (I had turned in my Argon tank so I couldn't weld alum. with my Mig) I took it to a alumnium fabrication shop and had them do it to the tune of about $380. That was one of the things that promted me to install a alum. frame in the Boler door. As it has turned out, the best decision I have made in a long time!
Your choice though my friend.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #65
Con

Well folks, we finally sold off 2 dozen llamas, our tractor, quad, trailers, lots of furniture and our log house on 20 acres. We have bought a house in 10 year old subdivision 1 minutes off a golf coarse in Armstrong,B.C. We are taking our Boler with us and can store it in the off season in the 2 car garage. I have already spotted another Boler in the niebourhood so will have a chat with him. I think theremay be a FG RV group in the Okanagon.
We should be in by the end of May. Hopefully I will then have more time to contribute to the web site and tinker some more on our EGG and maybe get to some of the FG RV meets.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #66
Con

SEAM TAPE (Boler)
I ran across this on another site. Might be worth following up.

* Seam tape for sale:
The roll contains 150' and will do 4 trailers. It?s exactly like the original. Cost is $55 includes taxes and shipping and you can sell the remainder of the roll to other Bolerites.
Wolf Shedler
RR1 Lyndhurst Ont. K0E-1N0
613-659-4695
Old 06-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #67
Con

Added more pics to Webshots re: Awning rail
Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #68
Con

Justification for screened vents!

I was working near the Boler when I noticed a wasp crawling out of the furnace vent grill.
A quick shot of Wasp Spray fixed that. I pulled the screen off and they had almost blocked the vent off with their nest. Have attached a few photos of my fix.

Name:	Boler_92.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	4620

Removed the whole vent tube, cleaned it up, painted and added a new flange
gasket.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #69
Con

Cleaned and painted the grill, added a stainless steel screen, re-attached whole assembly with 3M double sticky Arcylic foam tape between the grill and screen and SS bolts. This eliminated the leaky pop rivets and screws that were cracking the fiberglass.

Name:	Boler_93.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	4621
Old 08-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #70
Con

Another angle of fix.

Name:	Boler_94.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	4623
Old 08-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #71

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Well now, this is very timely stuff, Con. And welcome back. Speaking of vents and fans, just yesterday I began cleaning up the old Dometic 3-way fridge originally installed in my Burro. It's been sitting out in the shed. I had ripped it out of its ugly burro nest when gutting the interior. (Fortunately, wasps had left.) Then removed a very cumbersome exhaust fan and a large leaky lower vent, and patched over their holes. These appliances seemed at the time so ugly, heavy, and disfunctional I never thought twice about it.

Today I am looking the fridge over, cleaning it up, and will soon find out if it works. So I just might consider a re-installation, which means I would require a new exhaust fan and vent system. Hmmm.

By the way, against your advice, I made a rock guard, from wood. It was the cheapest way to go. Home Depot had very nice, strong, white plastic sheeting but only in 4x8 ft sheets for $26. I picked out a piece of 1/8" thick plywood and some clear 1x3" scraps from their junk bin for a total of $1.56, and painted them. Figure I'll just repaint again if I get tired of what I see. Made hinges from left over metal scraps and even made two screw-in latches. They screw in to a threaded insert underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
JCLiberty08.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #72
Con

Hi Myron,
Hey buddy, what ever works. As the old saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention. From what I can see in your pic it looks pretty good. It was only an suggestion on my part as I have concerns about the durabilty from exposure to the weahter. But if you use good quality adhesvises and materials you can get a long life out of the products. Now that I have preached I fell better. Time for my second cup of coffee.

I wouldn't take our 3 way fridge out, only if it quit entirley. I think I will be adding a fan like some of the other memebrs did to improve the cooling. We also use one of those 2 way Igloo coolers when we travel. When we are on the road we keep it plugged into the cig lighter and we we are parked it is plugged into the 110v.

I have another little job to do today on the Boler that I will post pics of.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #73

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Great mods, you have provided a lot of great ideas!!

What did you end up doing with the old windows that you took out of the Boler?
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #74
Con

Quote:
Great mods, you have provided a lot of great ideas!!

What did you end up doing with the old windows that you took out of the Boler?
I still have them stored away in a big carton. I have been trying to sell them for $100 as a set to try and offset the $600 I spent on the new windows. The are in excellant condition and only need a few small weather seals (Which are available through the Helpful Links)
The year before I replaced them I replaced all the screens with new screen.
They were not leaking either, I just decided I liked the other style better.

There are some pics of them on my Webshots page.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #75

Quote:
I still have them stored away in a big carton. I have been trying to sell them for $100 as a set to try and offset the $600 I spent on the new windows. The are in excellant condition and only need a few small weather seals (Which are available through the Helpful Links)
The year before I replaced them I replaced all the screens with new screen.
They were not leaking either, I just decided I liked the other style better.

There are some pics of them on my Webshots page.
I really only need one - the one with two crankouts. Are you only interested in unloading the whole set?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #76
Con

Hi Dave, It was my thought to try and sell the set of 4 because they match etc. However I guess I am going to have to let them go individually. Is it the side windows you are looking for? All the cranks are in good working order.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #77

Yes, it's the side windows that I am looking for. Do you have a price on those alone?

Quote:
Hi Dave, It was my thought to try and sell the set of 4 because they match etc. However I guess I am going to have to let them go individually. Is it the side windows you are looking for? All the cranks are in good working order.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #78
Con

Added more pics to Webshots album re: Saftey chains, Swivel jack, Hose and water connections.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #79
Con

Added more pics to Webshots re: Water tank Filler assembly rebuild.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #80
Con

Added more photos to Webshots album, re: battery box vent line

Tags
boler