Boler and Tow Vehicle Broadsided at the Hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #21

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
I have had mine for 7 weeks and made sure I fully insured it. ICBC are nothing but crooks. I sure hope we get more insurance options
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Dyke View Post
I have had mine for 7 weeks and made sure I fully insured it. ICBC are nothing but crooks. I sure hope we get more insurance options
Jan
You already have options. I buy my basic insurance and plate from ICBC for about $90 a year. That is basic insurance that will protect others from my mistakes.
I pay another $300 to a private insurer for guaranteed full replacement insurance. If my trailer is stolen or destroyed, they will replace my 2008 Escape 17B with the current equivalent. I am also covered for theft from the trailer, earthquake, overland flood etc.
It's not ICBC's fault that you didn't buy the insurance you needed.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #23

Name: Birgit
Trailer: 1976 Ventura Monarch towing with RAV4 V6 2008
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
you're right about taxes !!!! It's highway robbery here in BC....it's 11% collected when the vehicle registration is transferred from one name to another....the industry (dealers) doesn't fight it as it's in their interest....makes buying from a dealer when a possible trade-in is involved look a bit more attractive (tax is calculated on new purchase price MINUS trade-in value)

a complete rip-off the government got away with after the HST debacle...that was eventually defeated...but ICBC kept the HST rate
I agree, it's a rip off and anyone with insurance should remember to always work to negotiate the taxes into the settlement, why should a consumer pay tax twice to own one RV or vehicle for that matter. And the deductibles really chap me too.

My brother had told me that ICBC would write a letter or give me a form or something that I would take along so I wouldn't have to pay tax twice and I BELIEVED him because A: it sounded reasonable and B: he was not speaking second hand but from personal experience, so I really didn't worry about it or research to back up the claim.

My insurance broker looked at me like I had a hole in my head and suggested I call ICBC, Prov Gov't, etc,... I had bought it in Alberta so I couldn't insure it until I paid the tax. And, because I was obviously going to insure it again, I didn't want to be dishonest on its value to pay less either,....

ICBC was settled and there was no such form or letter and the Prov Gov't was quite convinced that I should really have to pay twice and irritated over the concept that I thought I shouldn't have to. In my view I paid taxes twice to own one trailer.

And frankly, driving to another province should be part of the negotiation too, since both RV's were purchased in Alberta, insurance is for replacement value and having gone somewhere distant ought to be included, but now I know. Hopefully, there will never be a next time. Hopefully someone reads this while they are waiting for a settlement and uses it to their advantage. Information and education are important.

The only party at "fault" here is the driver who slammed into the trailer. We came out of this incident, not at fault, minus several thousand dollars. Insurance really ought to cover one completely and one should not be at the mercy of an apparently publicly owned corporation. While informing oneself is important absolutely, I would like to see the corporation perform at a standard higher than it currently performs at. A mix between private offerings, public complaining and informed consumers helps encourage that performance, I think.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #24

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Glenn, I have the basic ICBC the rest is BCCA. BolerBee, are you going to get another trailer?
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #25

Name: Birgit
Trailer: 1976 Ventura Monarch towing with RAV4 V6 2008
British Columbia
Hi Jan,
Yes, got one already, but my user name is now misleading,... though I still love bolers,... got a Ventura that I'm in the process of gutting after a big winter collapse and water damage.

Paid a little too much for it, I think, $5500 (not so super shape) but we should get it back with at least a few years of fun.

b
Old 05-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #26

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
ICBC....

we can all slag ICBC...but one has to remember that when it was created/legislated by the province in 1972 or 3 it is not because the politician WANTED to get into the insurance business it was because VOTERS demanded that the government address the very real failings of the industry at the time....

in absolute theory having one insurer makes a lot of sense...everybody has to have basic coverage so that there is a large pool of cash to pay all claims...again in theory ICBC should be revenue neutral and all premiums should rise and fall depending on how many accidents have to be paid out every year....no lawyers, no advertising, no duplication of effort

where ICBC has gone astray IMO is that it has become a cash cow for the government that yanks cash out of the corporation every year and puts it into general revenue....and the fact that ICBC and the Motor Vehicle Branch (registration) have been morphed into one entity it seems by the government (probably to mask the fact that it is extracting money from that area every year to spend somewhere else)

in the early 2000s a new "pro-business" government took steps to open vehicle insurance to private insurance on a limited basis (the thin edge of the wedge some say).....then Katrina happened....in all provinces that have private insurance only the premiums went up substantially when that happened....in BC premiums stayed the same....the political will to fully open car insurance to private companies quickly died off....so here we are with a mix of public and private (that never works, the public side always ends up with all the bad risks)....and the government is playing a shell game with our money....

what is really needed, again IMO, is leglislation to return ICBC to its original mandate very much at ARMS LENGTH from the politicians that come and go every few years....I'm not holding my breath

sorry for the long winded post....I grew up in an "insurance" family
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler