Asbestos - '74 Boler heater? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Name: T.
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Asbestos - '74 Boler heater?

I can't seem to find any info relating to this concern. I finally tore out the old broken heater in my 1974 Boler. The fibrous material around the heater itself looked like asbestos. And I'm nervous that the fibrous material that remains in the heater space is also asbestos. It is beige paper-like material that lines the entire space. I sealed it up for now but I'd love to use the space for a book shelf. Anyone know what this stuff is? I'm in Ottawa, maybe I can get a sample tested somewhere?? Thanks so much.
TBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:01 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBirdy View Post
I can't seem to find any info relating to this concern. I finally tore out the old broken heater in my 1974 Boler. The fibrous material around the heater itself looked like asbestos. And I'm nervous that the fibrous material that remains in the heater space is also asbestos. It is beige paper-like material that lines the entire space. I sealed it up for now but I'd love to use the space for a book shelf. Anyone know what this stuff is? I'm in Ottawa, maybe I can get a sample tested somewhere?? Thanks so much.
Asbestos is not harmful in a static state, only when it gets to be air born. If your going to pull the rest out use a good resperator and wet the area down so any fibers don't float and bag it up. No idea of where you would legally get rid of it or tested in your area.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Often rock wool is used and it looks like but is not as harmful, or heater was the safer type of insulation
Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #4

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
What the previous poster said... wet it down and remove it. If you're especially paranoid, mix some white (ie. Elmer's) glue into the water and let it dry on the paper. Where a mask. Remember that it's pretty much prolonged exposure to short asbestos fibres that cause problems. It's probably NOT asbestos anyway. I have heard of schools going into lockdown when they discover they have a mineral specimen of asbestos in a collection. That's plain nuts.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Have seen a house not sell over slate tiles, thought was they were asbestos but in fact compressed rock fibers and do not burn either but are not as harmful. Have installed the slate tiles great if you leave them alone will last almost for ever.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
If you have a boler with a Coleman furnace as we had it will not be asbestos. The Atwood was a close fit. Used a small lift platform under base of furnace hole is horizontal instead of vertical so some body work used left over body cutout material to fill hole. after -gelcoat work it really does not show. The new Atwood unit just turn on switch and set temp and it is going. Wish we had changed ours years ago.

Tags
boler