Holding Tank Issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Holding Tank Issue

I was prepping my Bigfoot 25RQ for a dry camping trip. When ever I do that I always pre-rinse the holding tanks (a slight obsession) and chlorinate the fresh water tank and empty. I don't like to drive with full tanks. Well, I noticed leaking under the trailer. I initially thought that my fresh water tank had an issue because the leaking occurred at the same time I was cleaning it. The other 2 had been filled and emptied.

Distraught, I crawled under but couldn't find the source of the leak.
However, I did notice that the coroplast on the black appeared to be drooping. I removed the coroplast and found something very disturbing.... besides water; the black tank had dislodged completely from the front angle iron and dropped to just above the front axle. It was just hanging there held in by the drain attachments. The toilet connection was the source of the leaking as it had partially dislodged. I don't know how long it had been this way or when it happened.

In any case, the one thing I would advise all Bigfoot owners to do is to physically inspect their tanks. My Bigfoot 25RQ is a 2008. But the kicker to all this is....... there were ZERO safety holding straps under the tanks! Zero! If a tank comes loose due to contraction, shrinkage, age, etc., it can drop to the ground! I don't know if the newer Bigfoots are built more securely, but I would definitely ask no matter what year you have.

I was lucky. Someone here may not be so lucky. Take the time to inspect and see if your coroplast underbelly has any drooping or bulging. This problem is not specific to Bigfoot as many of the manufacturers don't use any strapping or may use inexpensive nylon, etc. that can and will break over time. You can do some queries and determine for yourself the modifications that may be needed to further secure your holding tanks. It's a project you can do, just takes a little time. I've found that most are using plumbing strapping to secure. You can decide what's best for you.

On a side note, Garry Grochowich at Bigfoot was amazing help! Kudos to him for taking time out of his day several times to assist me.

Be safe and never assume!
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Lucky this has not been an issue for me even though my unit is 1991 and yes I have the strapping.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
a couple of points....

your 2500 series trailer has insulated holding tanks (the coroplast)....

in 1500 series trailers (17s anyways) the underslung tanks are visible

in 17s the black tank is INSIDE the trailer (not underslung)
Attached Thumbnails
tank.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
and a little more.....

tanks dropping out of BFs, or any other FGRVs on this forum is not a regular occurence...

These trailers get used...sometimes misused. Did the BF in question get high centered somewhere and weaken the hanger system? Who knows?... anything is possible.

I don't think I'm gonna go a add "safety straps" to my existing hanger system. A real good hard look at ALL the underside, like I do every spring, is good enough for me.

Of course manufacturers could build trailers that would be completely immune to "misuse"....they would probably weigh 8000lbs and cost DOUBLE (new or used)......What price are we willing to pay for absolute peace of mind.

I broke a spring on mine. I would not suggest that BF should build with the heavier springs I have on mine now. For the intended use the OEMs were just fine. Regularly running into potholes and washboard at 50kph was my choice/"misuse". The good thing about FGRVs is they pretty well "last forever"....any money/improvement you put into one is not thrown away. You or somebody else will be enjoying the improvement/upgrade in the future. Regular TTs end up in wrecking yards...FGRVs get refurbished.

"On a side note, Garry Grochowich at Bigfoot was amazing help! Kudos to him for taking time out of his day several times to assist me".....I'm thinking Garry was just doing his JOB....the trailer is not even ten years old. BF can either choose to stand behind its product or not. They've been around a long time, they are pricey, they better do that if they expect to keep building trailers well into the future.

Just my .02....happy trails
Attached Thumbnails
wossaaa.jpg  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The point is, as your photo proves, there are "no" safety straps to ensure your safety! If you research rv forums in general, you will find that this is a common occurrence. And no, this trailer was NOT HIGH CENTERED! Sorry to disappoint you. There are such things as manufacturing issues with every trailer. But one can never be too safe. Especially those who travel with full tanks! Mine was filled to flush and clean. That's when I believe it happened. And the black tank is likely a heavier guage tank than a fresh water tank

Thanks for your input. I inspect mine all the time as well. That's how I caught this issue.
My 2 cents as well.
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
my mistake....

I did not know/realize that you had owned the trailer since new

Tags
bigfoot