New PlayPac Hitch-Hut owners! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Name: Earl
Trailer: Play Pac
California
New PlayPac Hitch-Hut owners!

Katie and I are proud new owners of a Hitch-Hut! It's in good shape, with a lot of electrical work added to it, plus it's been nicely insulated. It's a bit beige inside, but that will probably change soon.

We've spent a couple night in it, one in the parking lot, and one out of town last weekend, and it's great!

There are very complete pictures from the previous owner's for-sale page:
For Sale

Anybody have any experience adding a wheel to the tongue jack? It needs to move over some semi-uneven asphalt, and was wondering if any of y'all have any recommendations.

Also, has anyone else noticed the resemblance to the old Star Trek Galileo shuttles?

Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I had a little trouble finding a wheel for the tongue jack on our daughters pop-up camper. There were a couple different diameters of the jack tube. Then another problem came up when I did get a wheel, the jack won't retract enough to get the wheel on when the trailer is hitched to a tow vehicle. I have to unhitch, jack the tongue up, support it with a jack stand, crank the jack up and then put the wheel on. What I need to do is replace the whole tongue jack with one that protrudes less below the tongue. Try trailer.com for a wheel
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go here: Hitches, Winches, Jacks | Trailering | West Marine
or check out your local marine supply shop.
You should be able to find a swivel jack with wheel. I had one on my tent trailer.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #4

Name: Liz
Kansas
I just bought a Play Pac yesterday after several years of searching for a small fiberglass trailer that my vehicle could tow. It needs some TLC, updates and repairs.

First order of business is making sure the fiberglass is going to last. I am totally new to this, so any and all help appreciated! The inside walls have no real coating and feel very dry to the touch. I know the outside needs to be sanded and waxed. I might want to paint it a fun color (is that ok?). Once that is done I want to put in some sort of insulation layer.

Next I need to pull up the carpet and make sure the floors are in good shape. I was thinking of putting down laminate.

I also want to pull out the permanent queen sized bed platform and restore the rear dinette.

I haven't checked to make sure everything works aside from brake lights. I definitely need the heater and cook top functional. There is no fridge, so I want to buy one that runs off propane or electric.

I don't think this one had a shower. It has nothing but an empty closet right now.

The skylight is badly cracked and has been repaired.

There is some sag to the ceiling.

Someone took out the rear window and replaced it with a solid insert and AC. I may want to, at some point, restore the window and move the AC somewhere else.

Pictures will follow soon.
DangerousDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:09 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousDreamer View Post
I just bought a Play Pac yesterday after several years of searching for a small fiberglass trailer that my vehicle could tow. It needs some TLC, updates and repairs.

First order of business is making sure the fiberglass is going to last. I am totally new to this, so any and all help appreciated! The inside walls have no real coating and feel very dry to the touch. I know the outside needs to be sanded and waxed. I might want to paint it a fun color (is that ok?). Once that is done I want to put in some sort of insulation layer.

Next I need to pull up the carpet and make sure the floors are in good shape. I was thinking of putting down laminate.

I also want to pull out the permanent queen sized bed platform and restore the rear dinette.

I haven't checked to make sure everything works aside from brake lights. I definitely need the heater and cook top functional. There is no fridge, so I want to buy one that runs off propane or electric.

I don't think this one had a shower. It has nothing but an empty closet right now.

The skylight is badly cracked and has been repaired.

There is some sag to the ceiling.

Someone took out the rear window and replaced it with a solid insert and AC. I may want to, at some point, restore the window and move the AC somewhere else.

Pictures will follow soon.
Hi Liz and welcome to the group. You're going to get a bunch of replys and info. I would say making it road worthy would be the first thing before any mods. Check your hubs, clean and repack them. The condition of your floor would be something to inspect also before mods as replacing it always seems like it requires the body to be removed if it's major. A good frame check for cracks and rust and also axle condition. I don't remember hearing of any areas of the Play Pacs frame that tends to crack but someone else will chime in. I don't think that trailer ever had a shower offered. As far as insulation there are many threads here you can pull up for info. One last thing, fiberglass can be painted, no problem but to me that would be done only after any major repairs.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #6

Name: Liz
Kansas
The trailer is road worthy. Axle and metal frame looked good overall, but I am going to have a friend get it up on a lift to take a closer look. The tires and hubs also look good and the ball bearings were recently lubricated.

It is ready to camp in right away, but I want to make some changes and upgrades. I will definitely check the floors first before I make changes on the inside.

Yes, painting will be the last thing I do.
DangerousDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For more info about the Playpac visit The PlayPac Pack on Facebook. You will find other members, copies of original literature and memorabilia.
Steve Whysel Playpac Founder and Pres.
steven whysel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
play–pac