17 boler replacing floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
17 boler replacing floor

i have a 78 17' boler. i'm replacing the entire floor due to water damage. has anyone ever done this? is there a trick to taking the toilet off?

Thanks
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:52 AM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Same deal

Hi Andrew,

I have the same boler with the same issue! Have you replaced the floor yet? If so any tips or advice on how to? Mine is mostly dry rot up at the front below the front window, but I plan on replacing the whole floor. Started gutting it today.

Regards,

Kevin
Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #3

Ontario
Hi Kevin

I'm glad that I did replace it but what a can of worms to open. It was my first time at the subfloor. i'm a fairly handy guy but one may say I'm not precise so it took me longer cause I went slow.

If you can only do the one section, I would just do it if you know your floor is in good shape. As I took mine a part I found more and more cracks in the fiberglass floor which rotted the whole floor and most of the cabinets. Another spot to check is behind the fridge. The upper fridge vent is very poorly designed and allows waters to run down the inside wall and rot the floor (at least in my trailer it did)

What I did was take a circular saw and cut the flooring 2-4" from the edge of the trailer, setting the blade just high enough that it didn't cut the fiberglass under neath. In some of the corners I had to use a Jigsaw but I would probably go out and multi tool saw that you can cut the corners where the saw could reach.

I also cut 12-18" squares in the plywood sub floor so it was easier to pry up.

It was a lot easier and cleaner to fix the fiberglass from the inside instead from the bottom of the trailer

A tip I could give you is when you do the floor cut back the sub floor so the joint is over where the frame is for more support. when I did the whole floor it didn't always line up with the frame, so I did a lap joint
Attached Thumbnails
dd_lap_joint.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #4

Ontario
An easy way to find the frame is to put a flood light under the trailer and it is easily seen with no plywood. I marked where it was so when I measured I knew where it was and could screw back into it later.

Another thing i found out is the shower unit won't fit through the door so you have to move it around the trailer, but with no cabinets it didn't really matter. It might go out if you seperate it but i thinks its still too big

Thats all I can think of for now, but I have some pics I'm going to throw up when i have more time
Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Thank you Andrew! I'm going to start it in the next couple of days. I'll let you know how it goes thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler 1700 1979
Ontario
Registry
Me too, my floor rotted from the door across the dinette to the other wall and in the back corner where the outside hatch is. I am doing the whole floor. And a few other small spots. I am replacing it with 1/2" blue plywood with a plastic underlay, the stuff they do foundation walls with. Makes a 3/16 air space under the plywood. No more plywood sitting in water on the floor pan.
beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler 1700 1979
Ontario
Registry
The toilet, take off the 2 nuts on the sides, remove the water line at the back, lift off. The black flange screws off the tank, after you take out 4 screws. Been there done that.
beans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler