DIY Cushions - '83 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Name: Steph
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Registry
DIY Cushions - '83 Scamp

Hello!

I'm making new cushions for our Scamp. While I actually love the retro vibe of the original plaid, our cushions are shot. The fabric has deteriorated and it's started to rip along certain strands in the weave. And the 36-year-old foam just doesn't do it for this side sleeper.

After researching and poking around these forums this is how I'm going about it. I hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of taking this on.

I'd consider myself to have a moderate amount of sewing experience (I've made a few clothes, curtains, costumes and reupholstered an arm chair). Perhaps more important than sewing expertise is a firm grasp of how things go together and the ability to think in 3D--especially if you are going to be using a fabric with any sort of direction or pattern. It's a bit like backing up a trailer. You have to see it with your mind, not your eyes. Also, have appropriate expectations. I am not a professional. I'm not expecting professional results. I'm not spending a bazillion dollars and I'm using a unique fabric that I love. That makes it worth it to me.

TOOLS
I bought an all-metal sewing machine off of Craigslist. It's from 1967 and works like an absolute dream. Could my modern (read: plastic) Singer have handled this job? Maybe but I really wanted to get a heavier-duty machine anyway.

MEASURE
I measured the original cushions. They are a little crushed so I did my best and added a little room for error. For the covers I measured top panel, bottom panel, sidewall (around) with and and without zipper. Don't forget the fabric hinge on the dinette "booth backs". Then I added seam allowances where appropriate--I'm using a 5/16". These measurements were great for determining roughly how much foam, fabric, zippers, etc I needed. From here I check and adjust as I go.

FOAM
I bought a 6" foam mattress off of Amazon: Best Price Memory Foam Mattress. It's 1" of memory foam laminated to 5" of high density foam. A queen size is big enough to get the dinette set out of. I bought 4" foam for the bunks from Foam Factory. I got a Full size mattress that I will cut down for the three pieces needed.

I left the original dinette cushions in their covers and placed them on top of the bare mattress where I traced their outlines+1/2" with sharpie. When in doubt I made the outlines bigger than I thought was needed. I cut along the lines using an electric carving knife. It was tough to keep the cuts perpendicular. I did my best and then adjusted by drawing an additional outline on the bottom of the foam and used the edge of our picnic table to guide the bottom of the knife while I followed the top line from above. I "dry fitted" the hunks of foam in the dinette and made small, incremental adjustments until I had a very snug but not buckled fit. I made the fit very snug because it is recommended to cut foam 1/4" larger than needed due to compression once it's in the cover.

FABRIC
I found some amazing, high-quality upholstery fabric on a site called FabricGuru.com. I paid $9.95/yd for woven upholstery fabric by Dwell Studio for Robert Allen. I found it elsewhere for $44/yd(!)

I laid out the pieces I would need on my computer to see how much of a 54" roll I would need. At this point you have to take pattern and direction of the fabric into consideration. I decided to turn the pattern sideways for my bunks to make my life easier. Aesthetically, it didn't bother me. I finished my layout and added 2 yards just in case. I ended up buying 18yds total.

The pattern I picked basically has a 1/16" grid running through it. This made cutting so easy! I picked a thread and cut along it getting straight lines every time. If you pick a solid be ready to spend a lot of time measuring and cutting.

I am not putting piping on my cushions. First off, making piping is very time consuming (I despise cutting fabric on the bias). Secondly, I personally find it uncomfortable to sleep on all those mini-speed bumps piping create when you push the cushions together to form a mattress.

I bought 13-1/2 yards of upholstery zipper from Joann's with a coupon. This has honestly been the trickiest part. The zipper pulls are very soft causing the window to warp. When the window is too large it won't push the teeth together all the way. So, I've had to bend it back with pliers. I've learned that if I flip the tab up and grab the pull from both sides while I zip, the even pressure prevents warping. The sharp upholstery zipper teeth attack my hand as I zip but luckily I only plan on zipping these babies once!

I've finished the dinette set and am currently waiting on my next shipment of foam to get started on the bunks. I'm probably going to cover the underside of the top bunk with vinyl just like they do at the factory but we'll see. I don't want the fabric to get worn out rubbing against the plank that supports the whole thing but sewing vinyl just doesn't seem like fun either. Maybe I'll wrap the board in batting or fiberfill? We'll see.

There's a billion ways to do this. I hope my ramblings have some tips you may find useful just as I have found other posts to be.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0702.jpg   IMG_0685.jpg  

IMG_0641.jpg   IMG_0695.jpg  

IMG_0697.jpg   IMG_0720.jpg  

IMG_0740.jpg  
StephLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #2

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Burro
Alaska
As an ol bachelor who doesn't sew, I simply cut plywood and stapled fabric to make 3 cushions for my converted bunk-to-dinette. I look at your pictures and I’m awed and humbled. Beautiful work.
Biasdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #3

Texas
Registry
Thanks Bruce! Plywood + staple gun sounds like a great way to get it done fast! I hope you're enjoying your dinette.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #4

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
I like the pattern. I'd like to replace all my cushions. I haven't looked at fabric for the camper yet but looking at foambymail.com for the cushions. Already have a machine to put it all together.

Thanks for sharing. That'll last you a long time.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:25 AM   #5

Name: Anne
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Beautiful work! And great instructions. I enjoyed reading this. I have tried to re-upholster a chair-it’s quite a piece of engineering.
amieVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:52 AM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Steph---Hi! As an experienced sewist (funny, we used to call ourselves sewers until someone realized that that word can also be pronounced sue-er, lol) I think your explanations and step-by-step instructions are very well done and surely will be helpful to anyone, experienced or not, in making new cushion covers. Great job!!
The final result also looks terrific and good choice on the fabric! Kind of has a denim-y look to it..I like it.

And lastly, what have you got in mind for fabric for curtains? Post some photos, please, once you are all done----we would love to see the final result.

Happy sewing!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

Name: Talia
Trailer: Scamp 13
North Carolina
cushion dimensions

Thanks for the great info! Do you still have the dimensions of the cushions you made and if so would you be willing to share? We have a 1980s 13' Scamp that came without any of the cushions and I am trying to find the best place to get the dimensions so I can re-make them.
Thanks!
TaliaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: In the market
Massachusetts
Wow great work - are you willing to sell/share your measurements or patterns?

I have an early 80s Scamp and we are about to do this very thing. Well, my kid is. She's a bit of an improvisational sewist but a good one. She _might_ accept info/help from someone else...but not me!
MarkLat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: In the market
Massachusetts
What about the "fire sock?"

I was reading reviews of the mattress and so many people are complaining about the fiberglass or silica "fire sock" that encases the mattress. When you removed it, did it leave behind any fibers or residue? I know that will be a concern for my wife.
MarkLat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #10

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I am in awe! You did a fabulous job!
When I bought my '84 Scamp, the dingy brown-flecked tan cushions looked pretty grungy. I ordered fabric from some online fabric store. It came in two chunks. One chunk had rubberized backing and the other didn't. Bit discouraging. Then I got lazy and decided to just wash the old covers and reuse them until I felt like tackling making the new covers. Well, the old covers freshened up well enough that I'm still using them.
I love your choice of fabric. I'll have to refer back to your very informative post when I decide to tackle my covers.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #11

Texas
Registry
Thanks Lil! I believe in you!! (also, I believe in just using what you have so you can get out there and enjoy yourself!!)

To the apparent back log of replies I have:
Sorry everyone! We took off in June and I missed these.

Pattern: I don't have one and didn't use one. I put my old cushions on top of the new fabric and just cut around them. If you don't have originals perhaps you can find a friend or go to a rally and trace someone else's?

Fire-proof mattress sock: I just cut it off and tossed it in the trash. I haven't had any issues with fumes or anything like that. One thing I did do was let the foam air out in the hot Texas sun for a full day before I did anything with it. I finished the cushions in May and then we slept on them for a month straight in June with no smells or off gassing.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #12

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephLeach View Post
Thanks Lil! I believe in you!! (also, I believe in just using what you have so you can get out there and enjoy yourself!!)

Pattern: I don't have one and didn't use one. I put my old cushions on top of the new fabric and just cut around them. If you don't have originals perhaps you can find a friend or go to a rally and trace someone else's?
I knew I'd seen a template for older model cushions somewhere. Boler and Scamp cushions are identical, I believe. The only dimension that would be altered is the thickness of 4".

Cushion Template
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #13

Texas
Registry
Good find! My cushions don't have the corners chopped off like that. I wonder if that's because the bed on that particular trailer has the extension.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #14

Name: Cindy
Oregon
Amazing! Getting ready to tackle this part of the revamp myself and this is super helpful. We recently purchased a 1978 Scamp and the bunk fabric is completely shredded/ripped and unusable. The foam has also captured moisture and has a strong musty smell. So we are determined to just replace all the foam and fabric. I may go for a combo of the staple and sewing! I don't sew at all so plan on outsourcing that bit to a friend for the top cushion but will be cutting all the foam myself. I will probably make the benches using the staple technique.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #15

Texas
Registry
You got this! I'm sure they will turn out great!
Old 02-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #16

Name: Cindy
Oregon
Thanks!

I just worked out the calculations for how many yards I need (for dinette and back bench) and I come up way less then 18! A. I doing it wrong or did your account for latter mean using more? I'm using a plan fabric (no pattern).
Old 02-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #17

Texas
Registry
I bought waaaay too much fabric. I was worried about matching the pattern and I tend to overcompensate when I'm unsure.

I've seen others quote 13 yards to redo all cushions (4 dinette, 2 bunks + banana). This makes sense as I probably have around 5 yards left from my 18.

What did you come up with?

Tags
scamp