Lil Snoozy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Lil Snoozy

Hi! We are thinking of upgrading our TV as it is 20 years old. We were wondering what others are using to pull their Snoozys?
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Ford Expedition 2010, Big, quite, comfortable, pulls the Snoozy without much effort.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
1993 GMC 1/2 ton with 5.7 V-8, or our Jeep Wrangler with a 5.7 Hemi from a 2014 RAM truck and transmission. Mileage is not great empty or towing, but a joy to pull mountain grades with. If money were no object, we would have a RAM 1500 with the small diesel for the 30 mpg empty and 15-18 towing mileage that people have experienced. Might even go for a 2500 with the large diesel package.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #4

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
A 93 Ford ranger pick up...hoping to find an Explorer in a year or so for a bit more - comfort in the ride. good luck!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

Name: Charlie
North Carolina
Registry
Anything with a tow rating of 3500 lbs or more should be able to handle the Snoozy. Ours weighs 3000 loaded out. That will give you a good margin. The tongue rating should be at least 300. That is a little more than what the manufacturer website states. You need a V6 or larger with at least 200 HP. We towed with a Ranger 4.0 at first. It was good in most respects (5500 tow rating) by was only adequate in the power dept. The V8 Expedition is better.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Dodge Citadel 2014, rated for 7,500, gets 14-16 towing (dependent on whether we remember to punch the 'Tow/Haul" button
Old 03-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #7

Name: Don
North Carolina
Registry
2004 Acura MDX, 3.5L 6 cylinder, about 250HP and 240# torque. 4500# tow rating. Pulls great and we can maintain 55 on mountain (Smokeys) grades.

That should give you a guideline for tow rating, HP, etc. I personally wouldn't go much less.
Don W3NDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I recall that MCDenny tows a Snoozy with a Jeep Grand Cherokee V6.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
I appreciate everyone's input. We currently have a 1997 Toyota 4Runner which will pull the Snoozy fine I'm sure. It's a 6 cylinder with a 5000 towing capacity. It's just that it is 20 years old and probably time to think about getting newer vehicle.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #10

Name: SCOTTIE
Trailer: Lil Snoozy on order
Nevada
Registry
Tesla Model X90D

I had to chime in because we will be pulling our Snoozy with an electric vehicle.
Model X has a towing capacity of 5000lbs & is all wheel drive. I am not worried about the power, we have plenty of that, I am worried about the range. Towing a trailer will affect our range by half (or more). Our driving range is 256 miles when fully charged. Unlike ICE cars we have to charge at a Supercharger or a destination charger (found at hotels or campgrounds). Superchargers are located along most interstate highways. More and more SCs are being built every day. If the superchargers are spaced close enough apart we are planning to drive coast to coast towing our Snoozy. We are hoping our trailer will be ready July, 2017. Some Tesla's are towing 22' Airstreams, so I know it can be done, I am excited to find out how well it tows going over mountains, and into the wind. Towing speed also will affect range. Turns out trailer aerodynamics are more important than trailer weight. Hope to meet some of you on the highways of America. Our plans are to drive to South Carolina to pick it up and then take our time returning home to Las Vegas.
ScottieLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
As electric vehicles become more popular, won't you find yourself waiting in a lineup for the charger, and then waiting to dump?
Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #12

Nevada
Registry
I am not saying this will be easy

Hi Glen,
Yes, as more and more of us buy & drive electric cars the superchargers will be more & more crowded. In California it has already happened. So yes, that will be a factor we have to deal with, not to mention the superchargers are not pull thru, in most cases they are pull in. Which means we might have to disconnect the travel trailer to charge or leave the trailer sticking out behind the vehicle blocking traffic lanes. We are aware of these challenges and will deal with them.
Tesla has promised to double their SC network over the next 12 months & that will make a big difference. However, it will be quite a while before you see chargers on every corner like you do gas stations. In the meantime, we know what we are getting into and have had no second thoughts. My first test drive was a WOW factor. No engine noise, no fluids (except windshield washer), no transmission just D,R,N,P , no exhaust, electric motors about the size of a watermelon, etc. The downside, a gas car can be filled in about 5 minutes but our Tesla may take an hour or more to fully charge.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Curious, Scottie... does the Tesla provide any drivetrain braking effect on downgrades, as in regenerative braking? Can it be controlled? I've driven a Toyota Prius, and the regen braking is a bit crude, on or off, no modulation possible, and noisy. I've never experienced an electric-only vehicle, and certainly not one rated to tow.

At least you won't be like the big diesel trucks that wake up half the campground to make an early morning departure!

I'm not an early adopter, nor am I convinced all-electric is the solution to all our energy and climate issues, but I do enjoy seeing how things go for the pioneers. Keep us posted on your experiences.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Also have to hope the electricity used to charge it doesn't come from a coal-fired power plant.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #15

Nevada
Registry
Regenerative Braking

Hi Jon,
Yes, the Tesla will add miles coming down a mountain, for example the Tahachapi pass in CA, we used range going up but coming down the range indicator added miles even though we traveled 14 miles downhill. The car is one big computer, it will tell you how many superchargers are at the next stop, if they are being used, and how to get there. The center touchscreen & falcon wing doors are show stoppers and exciting technology.
I have no way to determine if the SC power is generated by coal, natural gas, or hydro electric. I know we are getting rid of many coal fired power plants but they still exist. I also know if you are a coal miner this is not what you want to hear and if you have stock in "Big Oil" this is not your cup of tea. Not trying to offend anyone, just doing my thing. Thanks for asking. Scottie...
Old 04-12-2017, 05:22 AM   #16

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
As I've mentioned before the snoozy design, by a pilot, includes an aerodynamic bottom. Don't know if this will affect mileage or not.

I'd like to see the crowd when you stop somewhere. They'll not only be gathering to see the Snoozy but also the Tesla.
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
As I've mentioned before the snoozy design, by a pilot, includes an aerodynamic bottom. Don't know if this will affect mileage or not.

I'd like to see the crowd when you stop somewhere. They'll not only be gathering to see the Snoozy but also the Tesla.
I would hesitate to call the Snoozy's underside an "aerodynamic bottom" when all the frame members are exposed to catch wind. But it could be made "aero" with the addition of a couple sheets of coroplast or some other material.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy