New Fiber Stream Owner..........HELP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Name: cheri
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Florida
Exclamation New Fiber Stream Owner..........HELP

I am the new owner of a 31 year old Fiber Stream…………of course it needs help. I need guidance for repairs and parts. Is there anyone in this group who knows about these units. What was I thinking...........Oh, I remember I liked the Fiber Stream lay-out

I'm trying to navigate the "threads"

Thanks
cherifl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:00 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Cheri!

First… take several deep breaths…

Now, before you panic, or give up and sell it, or tear it apart, or park it on top of the nearest sinkhole- you need to take inventory of what you've got and what it will take to make it usable.

I'm going to suggest you download the Buyer's Checklist (2nd link) and print it out. Go right through it, inspecting and testing everything on the trailer. Make notes and take pictures of all the issues you find. Then come back and show us what you've got.

Folks here can help you (1) evaluate whether this project is realistic for you, and (if so) (2) prioritize needed repairs and get you started. There is a lot of good information on this site, thousands of old threads dealing with almost every problem imaginable. Your best friend is the Google site search (blue bar under your log-in information, "Search," and scroll down to the Google search at the bottom of the drop-down menu).

While you are figuring out how to proceed, start by giving it a thorough cleaning inside and out.

Best wishes with your new hobby!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #3

Name: Juanita
Trailer: what
Mexico
I just brought a fiber stream back from the dead this summer, I would be glad to help you if I can, start with pictures and overall condition as is, and what your goals are---keep it original---make it fit you---update the old stuff--etc
milliejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Florida
OK I’m embarrassed………the camper is usable or was!? I splurged and replaced the air conditioner, apparently there’s a big dip were it was. According to the RV sales and service center the camper wasn’t set up for A/C. Now I have water leaking around the a/c area. I’m taking the camper back to the RV sales and service center. I hope it won’t cost an arm & leg for them to fix it, if they can! This is not a fiberglass RV service center. Parking it on top of the nearest sinkhole is tempting, but I do like the little camper.

In addition, the RV service center told me there is wood rot in the ceiling, and I found rot in the walls.
While they have the A/C off the camper I was thinking of injecting a wood rot repair liquid around the area of the A/C. If the repair men will let me! Is that even an option, or should the wood be replaced. Can the ceiling handle that much more weight? I’m a little upset about this, but it’s a 31 year old camper.

Right now the leak and wood is my top priority, here is the rest of the list so far.

The bathroom ceiling is slack. An RV sales and service center told me to use “Dicor” on the shower ceiling, Would that be the best way?

The outside shell has spidering, and little flaking, a few places that standard fiberglass was used for repair. The shell needs some work!

Were the 1984 fiber streams set up for A/C?

Is it normal that only fiberglass lines the shower stall?

Shouldn’t the pilot light on the hot water heater stay lite? But it will heat water.

The furnace isn’t working

Is the front of the camper strong enough to hold the septic hose and hose housing? It seems a bit flimsy!

I need to find 18 window weep hole covers or find an alternative.
The original door latch plate is missing, will a house plate work?
Clips(?) or what keeps the gravel/rock guard closed when traveling.

I want to travel for months at a time……………volunteer in a campground or two, and just see!

Thanks for the advice, and your time, cheri
Old 09-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Florida
Thanks for the offer I thought I responded, but apparently not! This thread stuff is a little confusing. Should I repost this in the help forum? Here's my answer

OK I’m embarrassed………the camper is usable or was!? I splurged and replaced the air conditioner, apparently there’s a big dip were it was. According to the RV sales and service center the camper wasn’t set up for A/C. Now I have water leaking around the a/c area. I’m taking the camper back to the RV sales and service center. I hope it won’t cost an arm & leg for them to fix it, if they can! This is not a fiberglass RV service center.Parking it on top of the nearest sinkhole is tempting, but I do like the little camper.

In addition, the RV service center told me there is wood rot in the ceiling, and I found rot in the walls.

While they have the A/C off the camper I was thinking of injecting a wood rot repair liquid around the area of the A/C. If the repair men will let me! Is that even an option, or should the wood be replaced. Can the ceiling handle that much more weight? I’m a little upset about this, but it’s a 31 year old camper.

Right now the leak and wood is my top priority, here is the rest of the list so far.

The bathroom ceiling is slack. An RV sales and service center told me to use “Dicor” on the shower ceiling, Would that be the best way?

The outside shell has spidering, and little flaking, a few places that standard fiberglass was used for repair. The shell needs some work!

Were the 1984 fiber streams set up for A/C?

Is it normal that only fiberglass lines the shower stall?

Shouldn’t the pilot light on the hot water heater stay lite? But it will heat water.

The furnace isn’t working

Is the front of the camper strong enough to hold the septic hose and hose housing? It seems a bit flimsy!

I need to find 18 window weep hole covers or find an alterative.

The original door latch plate is missing, will a house plate work?

Clips(?) or what keeps the gravel/rock guard closed when traveling.

I want to travel for months at a time…………….volunteer in a campground or two, and just see!

Old 09-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Florida
hey Jon I thought I posted an answer to my original call for help?? but apparently not! Should I repost in the help forum? I can copy and paste
Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Cheri, here are a few suggestions to navigate the forums.
  1. Keep each post simple. One question, or a couple of related questions, per thread is best.
  2. Post each question in the section that best fits your topic.
  3. Don't post the same thing twice in different places, and don't get too many different questions going at the same time.
  4. Learn to upload pictures. For technical questions, pictures help people visualize what you're talking about and how your trailer is set up. Review the Forums 101 thread in the Administration, News, and Announcements section. Lots of good information about how to use the forum. Post #7 explains pictures. To practice, I'd recommend taking 6-8 pictures of your trailer, inside and out, and upload them to this thread.

It sounds like you have identified your top priority (and I'd agree): stop the AC leak and deal with damaged wood. If the damage isn't structural, it could wait, but you've got to stop the leak(s) and assess the damage. I'd be most concerned to make sure there isn't any damage to the floor, including hidden areas.

I wouldn't worry about fixing appliances until the shell is solid and leak-free. You can spray the whole shell with a pressure hose to try to determine if there are any other leaks.

Hope that helps!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good info Jon, that will make it better for all.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream