ParkLiner wheel wells & tires - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #41

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I'm pretty sure you have a flexiride axle (Tim has one and he is #12 I think), the ez lube spindles are just the spindles. I just crawled out from under my Parkliner and mine are angled upwards a bit and from the link I left before they should be down a bit...they are set now for a lower profile...if yours are set similar you can pull the tiire off and remove the bolt on the axle piece and set it lower so your trailer sits a bit higher which would increase your space in the wheel well.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #42

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Thanks Deryk. No time today, got chores that have to get done, that I will not get completely done today because I'm on the computer right now

Will report back soon as I can.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If the tire will clear the wheel well throughout its line of travel even when the axle begins to age a bit, then it should be fine. Or if it's a Flexiride axle, the angle can be reset downward, and it's still fine. In which case they solved that particular problem, even if it wasn't the solution everyone expected.

However, if the fix only solves things for a handful of years (to get the trailer beyond the warranty period), then it would be unacceptable.

Without seeing the trailer, it's hard to know which is the case.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Pam had a similar question here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post428370

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
.....I would seriously consider the next step and report it to their state prosecuter for consumer complaints and possibly a lawyer. The cost's you spent with travel and all would probably have covered having the wheel well's enlarged by a fiberglass company locally.

I am really sorry.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #45

Name: Robert
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
It always amazes me that so many people, mostly uninformed or at least misinformed, can trash a company just 2-1/2 years old for having growing pains and a few start-up issues. I personally have visited them and asked very detailed questions about almost every aspect of design thought and execution. ALL of my questions were answered with intimate detail and it is clear that Chandler and his merry band of craftsman work very hard at building the very best trailer they can. They WILL address each and every issue for each and every owner. I see allot of comments from folks that don't even own ParkLiners and I know that one of the reasons Chandler set out to design a trailer was based on cheap, poor build quality of a competing brand that he personally owned.
rdcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #46

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcastle View Post
It always amazes me that so many people, mostly uninformed or at least misinformed, can trash a company just 2-1/2 years old for having growing pains and a few start-up issues. I personally have visited them and asked very detailed questions about almost every aspect of design thought and execution. ALL of my questions were answered with intimate detail and it is clear that Chandler and his merry band of craftsman work very hard at building the very best trailer they can. They WILL address each and every issue for each and every owner. I see allot of comments from folks that don't even own ParkLiners and I know that one of the reasons Chandler set out to design a trailer was based on cheap, poor build quality of a competing brand that he personally owned.
RD,

My comments related to how the company treated me are factual, and if perceived as "trashing" the company, that is the readers perception. They specifically did NOT address each and every issue for me that I was told they would do. On top of that, my expense of hauling the trailer to Gibsonville for a week, which they told me they needed, was considerable. I was a champion of the company before that experience, but no more. I am in the process right now of adding a low water drain they said they would install once the tank drains through a small hose. On top of that, the work they did do on my trailer when it was there was sloppy and very incomplete.

What they told me they needed two to three days for (expand the wheel wells), they did not do. I have found a place that will do it for a bit over a grand. More expense.

They could learn a lot reading about owner's experiences on the web. I got the impression from my one discussion with Chandler (from his plant in Gibsonville over the phone while he was at home) that he just doesn't care.

Best of luck to you. Just make sure you keep your eyes open.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #47

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
...I am leaning towards taking a heat gun and removing the company logos and never recommending the company again. I was lied to and treated very poorly for the near 2 grand it cost me to bring that trailer down for a week. I'm respecting the family orientation of these forums and not saying anything more that I might regret....Frank
Maybe you should leave your decals on, and possibly add a few more. You do realize that the sides of your Parkliner would make a great billboard for whatever message you do choose to send to Parkliner and the general public.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #48

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Maybe you should leave your decals on, and possibly add a few more. You do realize that the sides of your Parkliner would make a great billboard for whatever message you do choose to send to Parkliner and the general public.
Nope, my plan is to decorate it with daisies. We're naming it Daisy Mae, after my paternal grandmother Daisy Mae Campbell Alguire. She loved trailers and had an old Airstream back in the 50's. Plus she spoiled me rotten! So anyways, this has the approval of the wee lass. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, as I'm in the process of doing other stuff with the trailer.

We love the trailer, but are not big fans of the company any more. We were treated very badly, and it will be hard to forget or dismiss.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #49

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you have a flexiride axle (Tim has one and he is #12 I think), the ez lube spindles are just the spindles. I just crawled out from under my Parkliner and mine are angled upwards a bit and from the link I left before they should be down a bit...they are set now for a lower profile...if yours are set similar you can pull the tiire off and remove the bolt on the axle piece and set it lower so your trailer sits a bit higher which would increase your space in the wheel well.

Truly *sorry* Frank to hear you have once again been treated poorly. You have been *more* than generous with them in regards to being patent. It is a shame that they still haven't learned that poor customer service will take them down fast regardless of the products desirability.

Deryk, correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall that on Thom's PL the problem with close contact in the wheel well wasn't just at the top but at the bottom of the front and back as well and both those areas had to be widened on his trailer to fix the issue, if I recall correctly. (Photo of issue on post 29) If Frank was to do the axle adjustment you suggested & raise the trailer a little, it would fix the top of the tire clearance but would it not also reduce the front and back clearance further creating an equally unsafe situation?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #50

New Jersey
Registry
Ok Carol, I guess you aren't seeing it in your head. Draw and cut out 2 circles...say one 3.5 inches across and one 3 inches across. take the 3.5" one and fold it in half...that's your wheel well. If you look at a picture of the ParkLiner, the tire sits maybe 60% of it visible, say about 40% of it is in the wheel well, so position the 3" circle inside the 3.5" wheel well half circle similarly. if you raise the trailer up 2 or 3 inches by positioning the axle downward as the axle manuf recomends, say 30% of the tire is now inside the wheel well... that would give you more clearance front and back as well as top clearance.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #51

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Frank, I am just curious and don't really mean anything by this question but are you the original (new) purchaser of your Parkliner?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #52

New York
No, 2nd owner.
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 08-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Ok Carol, I guess you aren't seeing it in your head. .
I see what your saying Deryk but if one looks at the same thread and the photo in post #51 you can see that yes raising the trailer may give it an inch or slightly more clearance on the front and back but 2" of clearance front and back isn't really any better/safer than having that little amount on the top of the wheel well, although I guess one could say better than nothing. I would think the money would be better spent in the long run having the wheel well cut out and repaired as Thom did.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #54

New Jersey
Registry
Carol, for owners with a different axle then the first dozen or so ParkLiners built, they don't have much of a choice but to widen the wheel wells or have a new axle welded on below the current one to lift the trailer up a few inches to create more wheel well room.

I have no tire rubbing...at all, and I take mine down some rough dirt roads through the mountains in Pa. I don't recall Frank saying he has had any rubbing issues...but the concern it will happen. My axle looks to be adjusted as low as the ParkLiner can sit...so I have several inches that I could raise the Parkliner up to reduce sag as it ages...or replace the rubber piece inside the axle mount that the spindle sits in. I have at least 2 inches forward and back in the wheel well right now...with no rubbing from all I have been reading about the axle and it's been around for a while...If at some future point down the road it sags to the point of rub i will have to rebuild or replace the axle(well a shop will do the work lol)...just like everyone else.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #55

New Jersey
Registry
Also Carol, your probably going to have to zoom in to see it but check the spacing on my tire in the well vs picture #51 on Thom's thread...I already have more then 2 fingers of clearance and the axle is probably as low as it can be set...the manuf says there are 9 adjustments points.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0014.jpg  

Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #56

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcastle View Post
It always amazes me that so many people, mostly uninformed or at least misinformed, can trash a company just 2-1/2 years old for having growing pains and a few start-up issues....
I don't think anyone is really trashing Parkliner... other than their "weak" customer service. AND THAT'S SADLY LACKING.

In July, the Oregon Gathering happened on the southern Oregon Coast. About 100 all molded towables had reservations. Reace and Tammy (Escape Trailer Industries) came down from BC and brough a bathroom door, because someone from California had one in an Escape that WARPED (probably due to humidity). Reace changed it out... during a rally...

Now THAT is customer service!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Carol, for owners with a different axle then the first dozen or so ParkLiners built, they don't have much of a choice but to widen the wheel wells or have a new axle welded on below the current one to lift the trailer up a few inches to create more wheel well room.
I fully understand that as well. My comments where in regards to Frank's situation where he took his trailer all the way to the factory with the understanding they were going to expand his wheel wells only to have them change to a smaller tire.....

I was and I am assuming he wanted the wheel well expanded as he does not have the same clearance you apparently have or that he does not feel comfortable with only 2" of clearance around the tire... the later I fully appreciate as I wouldn't either.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #58

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a new all-molded trailer. If I had experienced the same thing as Frank, I swear... my hair would have been on fire and everyone, everywhere (social) would have heard about it. Come on Parkliner, do what's right. You NEED to fix this...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #59

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't think anyone is really trashing Parkliner... other than their "weak" customer service. AND THAT'S SADLY LACKING.

In July, the Oregon Gathering happened on the southern Oregon Coast. About 100 all molded towables had reservations. Reace and Tammy (Escape Trailer Industries) came down from BC and brough a bathroom door, because someone from California had one in an Escape that WARPED (probably due to humidity). Reace changed it out... during a rally...

Now THAT is customer service!
And of those 100 plus trailers about 25% were Escape Trailers. I talked to many of the owners and NEVER heard one negative comment about Escape customer service. If I was in the market for a new trailer Esc.ape would be at the top of my list.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #60

New Jersey
Registry
I used to work for Fuji Films doing tech support. I came in right when they started to care about the fact they had a rep for horrible customer support ... realized that if you don't take care of your customers needs they will go elsewhere(sometimes even buy a product that isn't as good but has customer support that is really there for you.

I completely agree what they did to Frank is horrible. If they raised the setting on the axle a bit and showed him that he could raise it more before telling him that they were going to enlarge it they could have done all his mods like mine had done in 1 day...been honest about it from the beginning then things would be different.... but I think Tom wanted to cut their losses and decided to not do it...I would have called a lawyer as well as report them to the state. And I also would be trash talking what they did on every forum I could find. That is not how you treat your customers.

Tags
parkliner, tires