Holes In BigFoot Bathroom - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 04:16 AM   #1

Name: Daryl
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Smile Holes In BigFoot Bathroom

I am considering buying a 1988 BigFoot. A previous owner has installed some racks and a mirror in the wall of the shower.
I am new to the molded fibreglass tt world (but the more I learn the better I like them!), is the wall solid fibreglass or two layers with insulation between?
Could these screws have caused any damage?

Thanks in advance from a newbie.
MountainAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
In our 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud, there is vinyl wallpaper on a sort of wood paneling in the bathroom. This covers a thick layer of rigid insulation (2 inches or so) and then you find the outer fiberglass wall. It would take long screws to reach the outer shell in our trailer. I'm guessing your wall is similar.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I agree with Kevin. My 1980 has 1" of Styrofoam between the interior walls and the exterior fiberglass. This includes the ceiling, wheel wells and floor. I cannot imagine that the shower is any different.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

Alberta
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I have only seen pictures, it's a six hour drive for me to go see the trailer in person. I just want to be sure it's worth the trip.
I'm not sure, but looks to me like the bathroom is a fibreglass shell inside of the outer wall. It seems unlikely that the outer wall has been touched.

Could the screws in the bathroom shell lead to moisture between it and the outer wall? Of course, this would only be a concern during shower use, and the screws are probably well sealed. I won't know till I make the six hour trip.
Are there any potential problems if there happens to be occasional small seapage between the two layers?
Old 09-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
From working on mine, I'm sure the 3 interior walls are jut thin fiberglass. Unneeded holes could be patched.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
what color are the walls ??????

if the bathroom interior walls are white FG look at the pics below to see the layers of construction (pics are of the ceiling vent opening)

in 88 or 89 there was a change in production....around that time the two piece all FG bathroom enclosure was introduced...that and other changes added 5 to 600 pounds to the original trailer

after that "change"... production remained constant and uniform for about 15 years (G and CB models offered)....until the 17.5 trailer came out (2500 series)
Attached Thumbnails
roof.jpg   roof3.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainAir View Post
Could the screws in the bathroom shell lead to moisture between it and the outer wall? Of course, this would only be a concern during shower use, and the screws are probably well sealed. I won't know till I make the six hour trip.
Are there any potential problems if there happens to be occasional small seapage between the two layers?
You have the potential for such leakage in any trailer you look at.

Not just where the towel racks etc have been screwed into the fibreglass but where the fibreglass panels may have been riveted &/or glued into place as well as the floor drain etc. You will, just as you will with the outside of the trailer need to maintain and replace/fix any loose or degraded rivets/screws and window and vent seals etc. Its a pretty simple job to unscrew the towel rack fixtures you are concerned with (assuming they are mounted with screws) and reinstall using something such as butyl tape around the screw to seal them up. Not a big job. Personally prefer to mount such fixtures with a heavy double sided tape which some trailer manufactures use as do many DIU owners.

Some trailer manufactures do/did mount items as as towel racks using screws so it may not be the previous owner who actually installed the items.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #8

Alberta
Wow, lots of great info! Thanks so much, all! Excellent pictures, Franswa! The BigFoot insulation, looks really thorough.
I appreciate the upkeep advice Carol. I am definitely a newbie, so I need all the help I can get.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

Alberta
I just spoke to the seller of the BigFoot I'm considering. It turns out I'm second in line. Someone is looking at it tonight, so I may not have the opportunity to buy it anyway.
Sigh, the search continues...
Old 09-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #10

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
butyl tape....

along with butyl tape and Sikaflex (my preference) for mounting stuff in the FG bathroom you could also source flat rubber washers..depending on the surface of the harware you want....

I went that route when I mounted a small cabinet in the bathroom....built it free standing and then mounted it with four SS screws....worked out well for what I wanted it for...since the holes were INSIDE the cabinet I wasn't too worried about water intrusion though....more worried about scuffing/marring the gelcoat....vibration during travel....

good luck in the hunt
Attached Thumbnails
curt5.jpg   curt7.jpg  

curt6.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainAir View Post
Wow, lots of great info! Thanks so much, all! Excellent pictures, Franswa! The BigFoot insulation, looks really thorough.
I appreciate the upkeep advice Carol. I am definitely a newbie, so I need all the help I can get.
Taking a water moisture meter along with you and opening up all the hatches and using is always a good idea, particularly in areas under windows and around water tanks and lots of plumping connections etc.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot