Play Mor II -- I bought it. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
Bought the Play Mor II
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00615.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	10244

Thanks to everyone who had input in the decision process:
Tom, Byron, Suz, Susan, Brian.

Now you're in real trouble Here come the questions.

I will try to search the archives first and I do have some experience with building Teardrops and have owned other commercial RV's BUT, I Will Have Questions!!!!

There is some water damage inside so my first project is to gut the inside and put it back together the way we want it.

The dreams now are to extend the bed to the door (queen size) and install a sit down toilet/shower.

You gotta know the questions will come

Name:	DSC00617.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	10245
Water damage under the windows -- see?

Thanks for the help.

Geron
Geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Geron

Congrats on the new egg. Sounds like the hook is set deep. But really, how much trouble could one little trailer be?

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulations Let the modifications begin!

Here's a great topics on adding a shower/toilet:
Adding factory Shower stall to Scamp, installing fiberglass tub and shower surround to front bath Scamps

Burro Rehab, the saga continues...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Geron

Congrats on the new egg. Sounds like the hook is set deep. But really, how much trouble could one little trailer be?

Ron

Git outa here. Did I see a tongue in your cheek???

Oh I found the leaks. The weather seal on the bottom of the window has no drain on the outside. So, the channel the window fits in fills with water and runs to the inside. (depending on the incline of the trailer) Imagine that??? Maybe a little whittlin' with the pocket knife or drill a few holes in the outside seal?

G
Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
The weather seal on the bottom of the window has no drain on the outside. So, the channel the window fits in fills with water and runs to the inside. (depending on the incline of the trailer) Imagine that???
Is it a seal (rubber gasket) or an aluminum frame? Looks like a Hehr window to me
If it's a Hehr, there should be two weep holes, they'll have covers over them on the outside of the frame, you'd need to run weedwacker tape through the holes perhaps to unplug them....
Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Is it a seal (rubber gasket) or an aluminum frame? Looks like a Hehr window to me
If it's a Hehr, there should be two weep holes, they'll have covers over them on the outside of the frame, you'd need to run weedwacker tape through the holes perhaps to unplug them....

I'll run check. A previous owner could filled them with caulk -- go figure.

g
Old 09-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:

Yes, thanks Donna D.

I use a measuring cup to pour water into the channel. It did not weep . Looking closely I discovered a 2" slit in the ALUMINUM FRAME. Using weedwacker tape (wonder where I got that idea?) I poked and prodded from above and below and now I have beautiful tear tracks down the "face" (backside) of my Play Mor.

There was a plastic insert just above the 2"slit. I'll have to examine it better in more adequate lighting tomorrow to see what's up. I could push the weedwacker tape from the bottom but it never appeared on the other side. Likewise from the top. There is a hidden channel in there somewhere.

I just kept flushing gunk out of the window. Betcha if they had kept the weep holes clear all the extra messy caulking on the outside could have been prevented. Now I'll most likely have to pull the window in order to clean up the unbelievable caulking mess they made

g
Thanks Donna.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, thanks Donna D.
I just kept flushing gunk out of the window. Betcha if they had kept the weep holes clear all the extra messy caulking on the outside could have been prevented. Now I'll most likely have to pull the window in order to clean up the unbelievable caulking mess they made
The weedwacker cord trick is something I learned from this forum, years ago... Suz, was it you that mentioned it first??

At anyrate, aren't we both glad to learn something. Those covers you're talking about SHOULD just snap on and off. I know if I gently squeeze the sides I can get them to pop off the windows on my Scamp. Makes cleaning the weep holes a bit easier.

To remove the silicone caulk that's been blobed on the windows, use a plastic knife, a plexiglass ice scrapper and your thumb nail When you finally get it all off, you'd smack anyone that even comes near your trailer with a tube of that junk.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The weedwacker cord trick is something I learned from this forum, years ago... Suz, was it you that mentioned it first??
I learned it from Charles Watts and it has proven to be invaluable to me. I think he even took a knife and notched his so the little barbs did a better job. I was always too lazy.

When I was camping in June, we had a lot of rain and my escape window started leaking. Ol' smart me, got out the week whacker cord and worked on it. Still leaked. After working on it when I got home, I realized that the emergency window actually had two places to clean out. Sure 'nuf, when I got it all done, no more leak. .

BTW, Geron, congrats on your Play Mor.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #10

Name:	DSC00620.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	10270

OK here's what she looks like. It's soooo nice to dig into an old RV and NOT find ROTTING WOOD.

Looks like the rabbit fur on the back will have to go.
The Elevator bolts are rusted - will probably replace
Plan to build the bed out over the wheel wells.
What about a hallway down the middle with bunks on either side???

Or Sleep longways instead of sideways. -- Just musing.

The back was by far the worst damage.
Next to go -- the galley and gaucho.

QUESTION- What steps to restoring the fiberglass finish. Restoring gel coat is prolly out. Wet sand and paint???? (got this advice from another forum)

G
Old 09-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Congratulations Let the modifications begin!

Here's a great topics on adding a shower/toilet:
Adding factory Shower stall to Scamp, installing fiberglass tub and shower surround to front bath Scamps

Burro Rehab, the saga continues...

Thanks, I bookmarked that one.

Geron
Old 09-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Geron,

The width of the back is not goint to give you the Queen bed. The 6'2" hubby had issues with ours. You may have to go with the twin idea or you could actually have a slide-out from each twin that meets in the middle for your "big bed" and have the walk way too.

The rabbit fur is rat fur (ask Shelia our camping kitty) and you will need to stick some new rat fur type something back up there. It is the insulation and you will need it. We also bought bubble insualtion wrap, covered it with contact paper and stuck it over the rat fur in the ceiling. Made a world of difference for cooling and heating.

Ours came with the AC installed under the table (the bed) at the back of the egg. We had to run duct work up the back wall with a fan at the top to get the cool we needed. Just food for thought.

I have attached pics #1 of the fancey duct work with fan (sorry it is messy, but I was camping) and #2 the extra insulation for the ceiling.

Susan

Name:	EGG_05_050009.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	10274
Attached Thumbnails
EGG_8.jpg  
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I realize that the thread has moved on, but one last comment on the weep holes...

My Hehr windows have weep holes drilled in the bottom of the channel, and snap-on plastic covers (now kind of brittle after almost three decades), maybe one over each set (I'll have to check). The slots might be just for the covers... my weep holes are definitely roughly drilled holes, not slots.

By the way, I found that even after they are unplugged, the holes may not drain well because they are so rough - burrs around them act as a dam. I cleaned them up with something (can't remember what) so they can drain fully.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #14

Absolutely "cool" Susan -- well, I guess the pun WAS intended. I'm thinking AC in the side window.

Wife and I have tried sleeping on a 46.5 inch bed. Ain't No Way!!! . That's why I sold my 4' wide Teardrop and built the 5' wide BenRoy Tear. We Can handle the 60" width. I'm 5'11 and she's 5'4.

I've removed the closet and plan to remove the galley -- we don't cook. Soo the bed can extend all the way out to the door which is 65".

Really like the idea of slide outs. I'll process that one cause we really don't want a dinette either.

Would like to make the bed convertible to a couch maybe (Futon like???). Been processing that one also.

Justa sittin' and a thinkn' right now
Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #15

Quote:
I realize that the thread has moved on, but one last comment on the weep holes...

My Hehr windows have weep holes drilled in the bottom of the channel, and snap-on plastic covers (now kind of brittle after almost three decades), maybe one over each set (I'll have to check). The slots might be just for the covers... my weep holes are definitely roughly drilled holes, not slots.

By the way, I found that even after they are unplugged, the holes may not drain well because they are so rough - burrs around them act as a dam. I cleaned them up with something (can't remember what) so they can drain fully.
Hey Brian, I keep bringing it back to the top

Found the weep holes, Mine are about 2" slits. They also are rough and need some emory cloth or something to smooth them out. Got the plastic covers out and the inside was very rough and fully clogged.

Believe it or not. The previous owners have completely SEALED the escape window with silicone or some kind of goop . If I keep her most likely will replace that window.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Would like to make the bed convertible to a couch maybe (Futon like???).
The futon idea may be a little bulky and awkward in a small space, although larger RVs often use a similar "jack knife" sofa/bed design.

My Boler B1700 uses a pull-out "gaucho": a sofa with a panel under the seat cushions which pulls out (along with three legs to support the front edge) to make a bed, with the back cushion placed on the extended platform. This only works, of course, if there is room across the entire front of the sofa. It would be easy to build.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Found the weep holes, Mine are about 2" slits. They also are rough and need some emory cloth or something to smooth them out. Got the plastic covers out and the inside was very rough and fully clogged.
I just had a look and the covers (the same ones I mentioned before) are indeed covering and snapped into drain slots. The small drilled holes which I found are additional drainage from another point, and apparently a owner-added feature.

Quote:
Believe it or not. The previous owners have completely SEALED the escape window with silicone or some kind of goop . If I keep her most likely will replace that window.
I believe it. I also believe that if you keep the window, then when the sealant is removed, the leak they were fixing will reappear, and will need to be fixed - properly, this time.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
The futon idea may be a little bulky and awkward in a small space, although larger RVs often use a similar "jack knife" sofa/bed design.

My Boler B1700 uses a pull-out "gaucho": a sofa with a panel under the seat cushions which pulls out (along with three legs to support the front edge) to make a bed, with the back cushion placed on the extended platform. This only works, of course, if there is room across the entire front of the sofa. It would be easy to build.
[b]You wouldn't have a pic of this would you???

I could go either way, Couch (gaucho) or dinette. Our Aliner set up into a dinette -- we never used it. A couch we would use IF it slid easily and could be left "made-up" as a bed when converted to a couch (gaucho).
A trial at a description: the platform would be in two pieces (Hinged???). The back piece would pull up to make the back of the couch while the remainder of the platform would slide back against the back of the trailer. The cushions (mattress) would be adapted to make the back and seat of the couch.

Hey, look, I'm just day dreamin'

Geron
Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #19

In the Album photo of a B1700SGH interior, you can see the gaucho in the sofa mode. If you look closely, you can see a horizontal rub line on the cabinet from sliding the panel out, and you can see that in this photo is was not slid all the way back in (it is sticking out a fraction of an inch from the cushion). You have to use your imagination to see that there is a leg at the front end corners of the sliding panel. It comes out roughly to flush with the cabinet - far enough that the back cushion fits in the additional space.

I'll look for more useful images later.

The gaucho is along the curb side of the trailer is the "side gaucho" model like this; it is the same design as the rear-positioned gaucho in the B1700RGH like mine.

The hinged design would work, too... it's just more complex than the basic slide-out gaucho.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #20

Quote:
In the Album photo of a B1700SGH interior, you can see the gaucho in the sofa mode. If you look closely, you can see a horizontal rub line on the cabinet from sliding the panel out, and you can see that in this photo is was not slid all the way back in (it is sticking out a fraction of an inch from the cushion). You have to use your imagination to see that there is a leg at the front end corners of the sliding panel. It comes out roughly to flush with the cabinet - far enough that the back cushion fits in the additional space.

I'll look for more useful images later.

The gaucho is along the curb side of the trailer is the "side gaucho" model like this; it is the same design as the rear-positioned gaucho in the B1700RGH like mine.
The hinged design would work, too... it's just more complex than the basic slide-out gaucho.
Yes, very helpful, The same concept applied to the back of the Play Mor. I like it! very much.

g

Tags
play-mor, play–pac