lil snoozy or casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
lil snoozy or casita

I am trying to decide between a lil snoozy and a casita.
What were the factors that caused you to choose one over the other?

My wife and I plan to camp primarily in the southeast, sometimes with our young granddaughters. And we plan to make a few cross country trips when we retire.

Thank you for your help.
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi John. to FiberglassRV. I don't own either brand, but would ask... why those two? The build type and layouts are totally different. And when you say Casita... which model are you considering?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Go with a 17' Casita and never look back.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In that size class I would seriously consider an Escape 17B (with the bunk option, since you mentioned grandkids). I like its lighter weight (compared to a Casita 17), open floor plan, and flexible front arrangement (dinette, couch, or bunks).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
snoozy

The Casita is nice but very little headroom 5"11 -for 16 ft or 6"1 headroom for 17ft . The casita is a very heavy trailer for it's size .

The Snoozy has a full queen bed and a 6ft couch that coverts to a bed plus less tounge weight and less weight .The snoozy has 6"4 in headroom. The snoozy is a full fiberglass travel trailer vs wood floors for scamps and I believe parkliners and maybe casita? also

Go to Lil snoozy .com and you will see standard and optional equipment .

The 17ft escape is a real nice trailer also .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

Georgia
I live in Georgia, and I can get to SC or Tx much easier than BC.
I am considering the 17' Casita Dx, possibly with the bunk option.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
lil snoozy or casita

That's a big obstacle, I agree.

What I personally don't care for about the Casita bunk option is that (unlike Escape) theirs doesn't preserve the dinette function, and you give up a nice big window.

With the L'il Snoozy I seem to recall they are all-electric these days. I value the flexibility of being able to camp without hookups sometimes. I'm also a little hesitant about the long-term performance of their hull design. Based on one forum member's reported experience with a stress fracture around the door, the double-layer fiberglass sandwich might be a bit tricky to repair.

I think I would try to get a first-hand look at all three before making a decision.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Study the material used to make the shell on the Lil Snoozy. It is a different process which can affect durability as well as repairability.
The Casita is conventional molded fiberglass using the same proven process used by the rest of the industry.
There are those who believe that all change is improvement, if you are one of them, buy the Lil Snoozy.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple View Post
I live in Georgia, and I can get to SC or Tx much easier than BC.
I am considering the 17' Casita Dx, possibly with the bunk option.
Consider all options then buy what you like the best.
Backus MN can be a nice trip...

Old 08-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Name: Gary & Jona
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II
Florida
Try to attend a rally and see them for yourself we had the 17 Casita LD and loved it but no third bed option but did have the queen bed to fit all. The big difference is the Fiberglass cabinets in the casita which I really liked compared to the wood in all the others one reason we went with the Oliver for our second trailer.
garyjona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The biggest reason I went with the LiL Snoozy is the hull. 3/8 to 1/2 thick. You can walk on it. The others hull is about 1/8 . They are so thin the cabinets have to help them hold their shape. Rivets, the Scamp and Casita have rivets through the hull. I have read about door fitting problems, rotting floors etc. The LS has no holes in the roof to leak.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Other than location of the factory, what do you like on each unit and why are you having difficulty deciding between the two? Matching them up, side by side, what is it that you see that might be an issue, something that might not work? Something you wish was different? I take it you are aware of bed sizes which can be a deciding factor. Also, look at refrigerator size if you'll be crossing the country.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
The biggest reason I went with the LiL Snoozy is the hull. 3/8 to 1/2 thick. You can walk on it. The others hull is about 1/8 . They are so thin the cabinets have to help them hold their shape. Rivets, the Scamp and Casita have rivets through the hull. I have read about door fitting problems, rotting floors etc. The LS has no holes in the roof to leak.
I take it you are not aware of spalling of the truly eggshell thick outer layer,and its comparative lack of impact resistance, especially in the area of small voids.
I think I would refrain from walking on it if I were you.
I have seen just about everything that breaks on just about every make of fiberglass trailer and still see them as far superior to stick built trailers. ( Lil' Snoozy included)

When you find a bunch of 30year old Lil'Snoozys we can compare durability and I really hope yours holds up as well as the Casitas, Scamps, Bolers,LoveBugs, etc. with already proven track records.
Mine is practically like new, but it has only eleven years of heavy use.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Room

I recall being in a Casita and feeling more cramped than in our 13' Trillium.

Lil Snoozy is more like a stick built as far as room.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #15

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I take it you are not aware of spalling of the truly eggshell thick outer layer,and its comparative lack of impact resistance, especially in the area of small voids.
I think I would refrain from walking on it if I were you.
I have seen just about everything that breaks on just about every make of fiberglass trailer and still see them as far superior to stick built trailers. ( Lil' Snoozy included)

When you find a bunch of 30year old Lil'Snoozys we can compare durability and I really hope yours holds up as well as the Casitas, Scamps, Bolers,LoveBugs, etc. with already proven track records.
Mine is practically like new, but it has only eleven years of heavy use.
It is true that some of the early Snoozy's had problems. I have only heard of a couple that had the spalling , delamination problem. The outer layer of glass is as thick as the entire thickness of the other brands. I would not call it eggshell thick..

It is true that Scamp, Casita etc. have a proven track record but they have all kinds of problems to.

Casita was my first choice before I heard of the Snoozy, I looked at several. They are a nice unit but besides rivets etc. they are not as roomy as the Snoozy. The Scamp is nice but the beds are to small and short for a big guy like me..then there's all those rivets..

In the end it is all personal choice and what works for you.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #16

Georgia
Thank you all for your input - you have given me much to consider. I know all the brands have very loyal and passionate owners, and the Campers hold their value extremely well. The Snoozy interests me because it seems "simpler", with fewer things to break, but the jury is still out on durability and resale value.

I plan to go to both factories this fall and hopefully things will become clearer. Either way, I look forward to joining the "egghead" travelers sometime next year.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #17

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I like rear AC and no wheel wells design of Snoozy. But to me electric-only is no go :-(
Old 08-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I like rear AC and no wheel wells design of Snoozy. But to me electric-only is no go :-(
That is why it is important to prioritize what is most important to least important. I like the no wheel wells but then you are wider on the road.

I like them both. The Snoozy works for many because of the bed size. I like the bathroom with that unit better and even electricity would probably work for some and be a deal breaker for others. The Casita is a proven product.

They all have problems now and again over time, some from the get-go. I guess just understand what the possibilities might be with each unit as being forewarned helps one avoid a lot of regret.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #19

North Carolina
Registry
There is no substitute for research and more research. Then go and look at the trailers you have on your short list.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Rally or two will provide a lot better real world "feel" than a factory tour. This is how they look loaded for travel, with the trash can and dirty clothes stowed in them. Not how they look in a show room.

List your requirements, then prioritize your likes. Need a standard set of criteria to measure against.

Check out trailer weights in the real world post. What they really weigh is more valuable information than "heavier" or "lighter". Real weight determines what you need to have for a tow vehicle. If you have a diesel 3/4 ton truck "heavier" starts at a whole different place than if you own a mini van.

Whole point is to have your own comfortable bed to sleep on BUT bed is wasted space anytime you are awake and in the camper. There is some tension between those two aspects. Head room may come at the expense of better aerodynamics but may be the difference between feeling cramped or like the trailer is spacious. Bottom line bed has to be big enough & roof has to be high enough but not any more than that. If you are 6'1 a 6'2" ceiling is as good as a 6'5" one if you fit.

Don't dismiss any models until you get a chance to look at them at a rally, you might find your perfect model is one you are not even considering.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, lil snoozy