Beachcomber B15 Renovation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #21

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 197? Beachcomber
Manitoba
The frame is back from modifications and it turned out great. I added an extra support for the front corners of the shell to prevent sagging. I also added a hitch for attaching a bike rack or some other type of accessory. I was gonna change the coupler but instead we welded a small tab under the latch so it can be locked in the closed position.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1359.jpg   IMG_1361.jpg  

IMG_1367.jpg  
goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #22

Name: justina
Trailer: '74 beachcomber
Washington
My '74 Beachcomber is sitting in the driveway, waiting on me. My husband would rather sell it but I want to fix her up nice. We picked out a Jeep Patriot as the tow vehicle.
justina wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: beachcomber
Prince Edward Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggles View Post
Got more snow last night. Lol. Too cold to do anything this weekend. And I still have some ice that needs to melt on the inside, I guess that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
Hi I just recently purchased a 1974 B-15 Low-liner camper in PEI. Do you know where I might find a repair manual for this model.Thanks Robert
Robert Mac Kinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #24

Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
The water and mold, I remember it well.

Quote:
Ok, so here is the start of my project to "fix up" my Beachcomber. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bie-57332.html
It had some water damage from the roof vent leaking. It turns out that it had a lot of water damage and a lot of mold and rotten wood in the walls and everywhere else. I was originally planning on just repairing it and doing the minimal amount needed to make it nice again but the combination of me wanting to do it right and also make some layout changes prompted the complete reno. I am hoping to have done in time to take it out this summer.

Here are some pics of the inside before and after I gutted most of the interior. I am still unsure how to proceed with the fridge though. I have to wait until more snow melts so I can access the outside hatch for it. It still works so I will likely keep it but I also want it installed so it can be easily removed or replaced if it decides to give up the ghost.

I couldn't believe how much water was still saturated in the wood especially in the ceiling. I'm surprised the roof didn't collapse with all the extra weight and rotten supports. I already have a preliminary layout of the floorplan and am getting more ideas everytime I come to this website. Too bad they all can't be incorporated into the little guy.
You're doing a great job there, take it from me when you're done and take it out for its first camping trip you'll have a smile from ear to ear.
I did the bigger Queen Size bed as well with 6" of high density foam and another 4" of Mermory foam on top of that, it sleeps as good as my Temparpedic mattress at home. The only thing I would still change is the hitch those original ones tend to pop of when you hit a bump, it doesn't take a whole lot to change it and the new one can be locked.

Rick.
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #25

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mac Kinnon View Post
Hi I just recently purchased a 1974 B-15 Low-liner camper in PEI. Do you know where I might find a repair manual for this model.Thanks Robert
I have not seen a repair manual while I have been searching for info on the camper. If you find one, please let us know, I'm sure there would be others that would be interested in a look at it also.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #26

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick n View Post
You're doing a great job there, take it from me when you're done and take it out for its first camping trip you'll have a smile from ear to ear.
I did the bigger Queen Size bed as well with 6" of high density foam and another 4" of Mermory foam on top of that, it sleeps as good as my Temparpedic mattress at home. The only thing I would still change is the hitch those original ones tend to pop of when you hit a bump, it doesn't take a whole lot to change it and the new one can be locked.

Rick.
I was also concerned about the design of the hitch and planned on upgrading it to the modern style but instead I had a small tab welded under the latch. Then a hole was drilled through both the latch and tab and I can now put a pin or a lock through it to keep it secured. I think I previously posted a picture showing the tab.

As for my bed, I have been trying to find the right type of foam to use at a reasonable price. My plan is to have the bed also useable as a table if needed so I need something I can cut into pieces that can use for the seats for the table. It needs to be comfy for a bed but also decent as a seat although it will likely stay as a bed most of the time.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #27

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann cody View Post
Hi. Do you know where I can get the outside, rubber wedge moulding that holds the plexy glass front and rear window in place?
Thanks
Ann
Ideally, if you have a sample of the rubber moulding, take it to a weatherstripping shop and they should be able to match it to something they have in stock or at least come fairly close. I took a piece of mine with me and they gave me a few different small samples to try for free. One of them was almost perfect so I went back and bought enough to do the front and back window.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 AM   #28

Prince Edward Island
Hedliner replacement

I have recently purchased a 1974 Beachcomber B-15 Lo-liner camper in PEI last fall.I reside in Calgary AB Canada.I will be returning in mid July for a month.I have to replace the hedliner in this trailer and would like to get any advice on how to do so.I know I have to replace ceiling strapping but I don't want to screw into the ceiling.One way I thought about was to use 3/4 in x 2 fir plywood strapping and adhere it with PL Premium adhesive masking it in place till it sets.Then I would be able to anchor the new hedliner to the plywood strapping with screws and either metal or plastic washers.What are your thoughts on this.Also was wondering if there are any available manual's for this particular camper.Would appreciate any response to this issue.Thank's Robert
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #29

Manitoba
Quote:
I have recently purchased a 1974 Beachcomber B-15 Lo-liner camper in PEI last fall.I reside in Calgary AB Canada.I will be returning in mid July for a month.I have to replace the hedliner in this trailer and would like to get any advice on how to do so.I know I have to replace ceiling strapping but I don't want to screw into the ceiling.One way I thought about was to use 3/4 in x 2 fir plywood strapping and adhere it with PL Premium adhesive masking it in place till it sets.Then I would be able to anchor the new hedliner to the plywood strapping with screws and either metal or plastic washers.What are your thoughts on this.Also was wondering if there are any available manual's for this particular camper.Would appreciate any response to this issue.Thank's Robert
What I did was use cedar 2x4's cut to the curved shape of the roof and then glued with pl premium and supported it to cure (see picture above). I also put a few screws in from the outside top to help with support. I'm not sure if that was needed but I wanted the extra holding strength. This gives me a flat roof from the inside. You could use strapping and then your ceiling inside would have a curve to it the same at the FG roof. For my headliner I will likely attach a couple of pieces of white paneling to the roof supports with screws.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #30

Registry
PL is the way to go......

Quote:
What I did was use cedar 2x4's cut to the curved shape of the roof and then glued with pl premium and supported it to cure (see picture above). I also put a few screws in from the outside top to help with support. I'm not sure if that was needed but I wanted the extra holding strength. This gives me a flat roof from the inside. You could use strapping and then your ceiling inside would have a curve to it the same at the FG roof. For my headliner I will likely attach a couple of pieces of white paneling to the roof supports with screws.

Just make sure you use the fiberglass friendly PL Premium the regular PL can damage the fiberglass and or fail.

Rick.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #31

Manitoba
I used PL Premium 3x stuff, is that what you are talking about? I just bought more but the 8x fast grab stuff. I hope it will be ok.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #32

Registry
It will say right on the tube......

Quote:
I used PL Premium 3x stuff, is that what you are talking about? I just bought more but the 8x fast grab stuff. I hope it will be ok.
If it's fiberglass compatible, I don't remember the exact name but it is a PL premium product.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #33

Manitoba
You got me thinking so i called the 800 # to ask. There is PL Premium 3x stronger than regular adhesive and is safe for fiberglass. They also have PL Premium Fast Grab which is 8x stronger than regular adhesive and it is also safe for fiberglass. The fast grab stuff is a bit thicker then the regular PL Premium and doesn't require as much support during the curing process.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #34

Registry
I only mentioned it because.......

Quote:
You got me thinking so i called the 800 # to ask. There is PL Premium 3x stronger than regular adhesive and is safe for fiberglass. They also have PL Premium Fast Grab which is 8x stronger than regular adhesive and it is also safe for fiberglass. The fast grab stuff is a bit thicker then the regular PL Premium and doesn't require as much support during the curing process.
.....when doing my Beachcomber build I came across this information and thought it was important to share
Old 03-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Also was wondering if there are any available manual's for this particular camper.Would appreciate any response to this issue.Thank's Robert
Owners/users manuals for all molded towable trailer brands are notorious for lacking information. But it does make sense (why should a TT manufacturer recreate the wheel when appliance (etc.) manufacturers already have the info). So, check the Document Center for any appliance (etc.) manual that matches your trailers appliances.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #36

Prince Edward Island
Thanks everbody for replying to my headliner replacement saga.I feel a little better informed now.It's hard to visualize it when it's 3400 klms away.Will keep you advised of progress and maybe some pics.Thank's Robert
Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #37

Manitoba
Update time:
I have completed most of the inside wall supports and cut out and mounted two storage doors, side and rear. Does anyone who has done a beachcomber have any suggestions on how to deal with the small section just under the front and back window? It has some odd angles and curves.

Here are a few more pics of the progress.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2113.jpg   IMG_2114.jpg  

IMG_2110.jpg   IMG_2112.jpg  

Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #38

Manitoba
Insulation

Does anyone have suggestions on what type of insulation to use. Eg. Styrofoam, fiberglass, spray foam, other. And is it recommended to put poly over it to provide a better seal? I also have some fiberglass stuff with a paper/foil back on it that looks like it might work well.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #39

Manitoba
Update

Here are a couple more pics now that I have most of the outside painting done. I still need to remove the door and give it a good overhaul.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2213.jpg   IMG_2215.jpg  

Old 09-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #40

Manitoba
First use since reno started

I managed to get the camper out for a weekend of camping even though the inside still needs lots of work. Throw a air mattress on the floor and good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  

Tags
beachcomber