Oliver Spec Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Hunting for a FG Trailer
Texas
Oliver Spec Question

The Oliver specifications list a dry weight of 4600 lbs and a tow weight of 4200 lbs. Does someone has the time & patience to explain the difference? Thanks in advance.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Guessing... 4600 pounds total dry weight, 4200 on the axle, and 400 on the hitch?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Guessing... 4600 pounds total dry weight, 4200 on the axle, and 400 on the hitch?
Makes as much sense as anything I could figure out. I just don't remember seeing the weights describe this way. Thank you.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
Makes as much sense as anything I could figure out. I just don't remember seeing the weights describe this way. Thank you.
Typically, that's the method of describing trailer weights. See this thread for more weight info: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Oliver Spec Question

Manufacturer websites I've visited seem to more commonly list a dry weight and hitch weight. Of course, it comes to the same thing in the end, but those are the two pieces of the triad commonly specified in vehicle towing capacities.

As we know, though, "dry weight" has limited value in estimating what a trailer will actually weigh ready to go. In my perfect world, there'd be a weight calculator built into each website. You input the model, specify options, and it spits out the as-built weight triad for your configuration. With CAD tools, it ought to be fairly straightforward, though I doubt an operation like Scamp has digitized their designs. Come to think of it, when their designs were created I was using punch cards on a Unix mainframe... Now Oliver... ?
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Its also important to realize the published dry weight once the trailer is completed will likely be more than what was stated. For instance ours tallied in at 5060 lbs dry weight, but that included the solar system with 4 Trojan wet cell batteries, fiber granite countertops etc. It all ads up. So unless you go real bare bones on the build figure on adding on average at least another 500 lbs of dry weight.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
Its also important to realize the published dry weight once the trailer is completed will likely be more than what was stated. For instance ours tallied in at 5060 lbs dry weight, but that included the solar system with 4 Trojan wet cell batteries, fiber granite countertops etc. It all ads up. So unless you go real bare bones on the build figure on adding on average at least another 500 lbs of dry weight.
While I have been researching this stuff for way too long, I have to admit I put too much confidence in the published dry weights. So thank you for educating me on this ... it's important information.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Each of the Oliver trailers is taken to a truck scale and weighed the day prior to delivery. This gives the new owner an accurate dry weight of their new trailer as ordered with all options on board. As was previously indicated, this will differ from the published weight due to options.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Oliver Spec Question

I still think manufacturers should provide an estimated as-built dry weight during the ordering phase. It might be a little harder to determine finished hitch & axle weights, but the total dry weight should be easy. Unless there is custom wood cabinetry, it's just a matter of adding or swapping out components with known weights.

That, in addition to a final post-manufacture weighing would give consumers the best information possible. Ideally, the final weighing should include hitch and axle weight as well as the total.

Of course, some RV buyers apparently prefer ignorance, and some RV manufacturers trade on that, but I don't sense Oliver or Oliver owners fit that category.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:41 AM   #10

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
The Oliver specifications list a dry weight of 4600 lbs and a tow weight of 4200 lbs. Does someone has the time & patience to explain the difference? Thanks in advance.
Jim,

Anita at Oliver sent me this a few months ago...It's only a partial explanation but might help. Why not just call or email her to get a good explanation on how Oliver describes weights? Every manufacturer gives different answers.

"Dry Weight is the actual weight of a vehicle or trailer containing standard equipment without fuel, fluids, cargo, passengers, or optional equipment. I had a lady that purchased one from Florida, she picked up last year in April and it weighed 3520. Lbs. She had it loaded with additional options too, like the solar etc.… When we weigh the units before you close on it, once the unit is built, it is weighed with all components and filled propane tanks. This is the dry weight. And actually the dry weight would be less the propane filled tanks."
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
When we picked up our Oliver it had just been weighed and came in at 5130lbs. Like Rob, that included solar, 4 batteries, and 2 full 30lb propane tanks.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Oliver Spec Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Jim,

Anita at Oliver sent me this a few months ago...It's only a partial explanation but might help. Why not just call or email her to get a good explanation on how Oliver describes weights? Every manufacturer gives different answers.

"Dry Weight is the actual weight of a vehicle or trailer containing standard equipment without fuel, fluids, cargo, passengers, or optional equipment. I had a lady that purchased one from Florida, she picked up last year in April and it weighed 3520. Lbs. She had it loaded with additional options too, like the solar etc.… When we weigh the units before you close on it, once the unit is built, it is weighed with all components and filled propane tanks. This is the dry weight. And actually the dry weight would be less the propane filled tanks."
Oliver's response is inconsistent. First they define "dry weight" as without fuel, fluids, cargo, passengers, or optional equipment." Then they give an example "loaded with additional options" and propane. Then they add as an afterthought to subtract the propane. It's no wonder there's so much confusion over dry weights!

I do commend Oliver's practice of providing an as-built weight of each trailer as it comes off the line. What it doesn't do is help a potential customer anticipate the finished weight of a trailer with a particular set of options.

There are so many variables and possible configurations that pre-purchase weight estimates are just that.

Tags
oliver