BC-1979 Biggar $3000 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #41

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
I've been told that I wasn't clear in my previous post...

To clarify, there is double hull throughout, but it is not all of one material.

1. Starting from the outside there is the fiberglass shell (outside hull) all the way around including underneath.

2. Next is a void space. I am guessing 1 - 3" depending on the curve of the wall. This is filled with insulation.

3. Then the inside hull. This can be fiberglass, wood paneling, or plywood depending on which area it is in.

The reason I previously said that I wouldn't call it a "full" double hull is because when I think double hull, I think of two full shells of fiberglass. Though there is definitely a full double hull, it is not all of the same material.

I hope this makes it more clear.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #42

Name: Clayton
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The traditional egg designs - Boler and Trillium - had interior furnishings moulded in fiberglass, and including small patches of what served as interior walls (such as between the base and overhead cabinets of the galley)

The areas in the Biggar that have fiberglass interior walls are all around the door, the front dinette, the kitchen, and the bathroom. The overhead cabinetry around the kitchen and front dinette are fiberglass.

The areas around the back window and side goucho are made up of cabinetry so the interior walls in these sections are wood.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #43

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
The reason I previously said that I wouldn't call it a "full" double hull is because when I think double hull, I think of two full shells of fiberglass. Though there is definitely a full double hull, it is not all of the same material.
Thanks, Clayton, that's nice and clear.

While there is some sort of interior wall or panel everywhere (no outer shell showing anywhere), I don't think this is what "double hull" is intended to mean. In it's marine original, it means a functional second hull, so that if the outer hull layer is breached, the boat still floats. Our trailers don't float, of course, but it would make sense for the inner "hull" be form a self-supporting or integrated structure. The framing and panelling of the inner walls wouldn't qualify by this standard.

In the egg designs generally accepted as "double hull" (U-Haul, Burro, Eggcamper...) the inner moulded parts form an entire side of the trailer interior in one piece per side (these are generally vertical-seam designs). By the way, even these do not have complete inner shells - that's too hard to assemble. Their inner shells don't reach the centre line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
The areas in the Biggar that have fiberglass interior walls are all around the door, the front dinette, the kitchen, and the bathroom. The overhead cabinetry around the kitchen and front dinette are fiberglass.

The areas around the back window and side goucho are made up of cabinetry so the interior walls in these sections are wood.
This sounds like the fiberglass sections are like a Boler (with 'glass interior - many like mine are wood), Trillium, or Scamp (except those with "custom" wood interior). The rest of the areas are framed and panelled, like a typical Bigfoot.

It looks like Biggar was trying to blend the best features of various designs, and made a desirable trailer in the process.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #44

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It looks like Biggar was trying to blend the best features of various designs, and made a desirable trailer in the process.
Agreed, I think the Biggar is an under appreciated trailer. It was not produced in large enough quantities for people to be familiar with the design. As a result, they don't seem to have a resale value that compares to their quality. I think the owners of this brand of trailer are getting better value then other brands.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #45

Name: Gina, Clayton and Otis & Lena(woof!)
British Columbia
Registry
We took off all the drawers, cabinet and bathroom doors today and sanded it down to get it ready for painting, also the wood panelling. Body/fiberglass work will have to wait until we get better weather

We discovered that original floor cover was brown shag carpeting! Previous owner changed it to vinyl tile everywhere but we can see it through the ring for the post for the dinette table. What a surprise.

Gina
Canada
Bolero1780 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggar