Cutlery Draw on Boler 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Cutlery Draw on Boler 1300

Hi - I've just removed the gas range for rust proofing and painting. A perfect time to build a larger cutlery draw. I would appreciated any information on this project.

I'm sure this has probably been posted before but I have been unable to find the thread.

Thanks in advance.

Elvin
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I enlarged mine but have lost pics and it's been a few years.
All I really remember about the build is it was a struggle and
I had trouble getting it square to the face of the cabinet.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Alberta
Sorry no pics either as I no longer have my 13'. The tricky part on mine was some sheet metal at the back that goes up at an angle from the fridge. I build a drawer that fit this angle to maximize the size of the drawer I could make. For the drawer slides, I had pieces of wood on either side to attach the slides and then pieces of wood in-between them to keep them secure. Hope you can visualize it. I think you will have a much easier time that I did with the stove top removed.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks Fred and Tim - I guess what I was trying to figure out how to attach the two pieces of wood either side of the draw. They would have to be very secure as I intend to use metal slides for the draw. I would also increase the width of the draw to make it more practical.

Elvin
Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Mock it up with thick cardboard and some hot glue. Seeing the shapes in the real space at the real size leads tounderstanding. It cost next to nothing to try it out using some recycled material.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by omache27 View Post
Thanks Fred and Tim - I guess what I was trying to figure out how to attach the two pieces of wood either side of the draw. They would have to be very secure as I intend to use metal slides for the draw. I would also increase the width of the draw to make it more practical.

Elvin
For sure. With all the bouncing around. I also used construction adhesive to glue the frame that I attached the slides to the front fiberglass. I widened the hole to make the drawer bigger as well.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Mock it up with thick cardboard and some hot glue. Seeing the shapes in the real space at the real size leads tounderstanding. It cost next to nothing to try it out using some recycled material.
Thanks - Always a good idea.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
My cutlery draw fits on sliders under the table top in my 13' boler. I was thinking of putting an additional draw under the stove top, but it doesn't look like there will be enough room. Does your have an existing draw there?
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

British Columbia
Indeed it does. See attached photos. The last photo is the tray of the stove top in place. I have taken it apart to repair the rust.

Elvin
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0074.jpg   IMG_0075.jpg  

IMG_0076.jpg  
Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Cutlery "draw" sounds like some old west duel with knives, or the process of designing a new knife
Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #11

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by omache27 View Post
Indeed it does. See attached photos. The last photo is the tray of the stove top in place. I have taken it apart to repair the rust.

Elvin
Thank you.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #12

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Elvin,
Hi, I am not sure if you resolved your question already - looks like you posted it almost a month ago. I just wanted to say that I made a larger cutlery drawer for my little trailer and replaced the slides as well. I added custom sized 2x4s that were fastened to the centre cabinet divider and the outer fiberglass cabinet wall. If you would like, I have posted a brief description and some pics (starting post 67 page 5) in my rebuild thread.
The screws that went through the fiberglass wall to the 2x4 had very large flat washers on them to help distribute some of the flexing I anticipated. I think I also used construction glue to help the mechanical fasteners. I also ended up making an almost complete box out of plywood for the box to slide into
Hope you find a solution and look forward to following your progress.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
Elvin,
Hi, I am not sure if you resolved your question already - looks like you posted it almost a month ago. I just wanted to say that I made a larger cutlery drawer for my little trailer and replaced the slides as well. I added custom sized 2x4s that were fastened to the centre cabinet divider and the outer fiberglass cabinet wall. If you would like, I have posted a brief description and some pics (starting post 67 page 5) in my rebuild thread.
The screws that went through the fiberglass wall to the 2x4 had very large flat washers on them to help distribute some of the flexing I anticipated. I think I also used construction glue to help the mechanical fasteners. I also ended up making an almost complete box out of plywood for the box to slide into
Hope you find a solution and look forward to following your progress.
Jay
Jay
Excuse my ignorance but how do I find your post 67 page 5 for your description and photos of your draw remake?

Elvin
Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #14

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...o-69806-5.html

I wonder if you just use the link above, hopefully that would work. Otherwise, if you look in the Modifications, alterations and Updates forum and look at the Boler Voyageur Reno thread I started. A third option is to click on my name on this post and select the find more posts by ...
Sorry I didn't leave a link, I have never directed anyone to a posting of mine before.
best of luck
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I hate the drawer set-up in our scamper 13 following!

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #16

British Columbia
Jay H

Thank you for the link showing your drawer install. I will build on your experience as I start my own project in the next few weeks and I'll post photos of my progress.

Tags
boler