UHaul CT Spare Tire Mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul CT Spare Tire Mount

My spare tire came to me loose, so I've been looking for a way to mount it securely to the trailer. I noticed that others have mounted it to the rear bumper and I decided to follow this path. I made the mount from 1 1/2" square aluminum tubing with 1/8" wall thickness. I like aluminum because it is strong , light and rustproof. It is also ridiculously expensive if you buy it at somewhere like Home Depot. I buy it from a local scrap dealer for $1 a pound. This mount cost me about $3 to make, including bolts.

You will note that the bottom of the mount has to be spaced out about 1/2" from the bumper to make the mount vertical. I used an aluminum spacer ring that I had acquired somewhere in the past. Bolts are 3/8" with nylock nuts. I also added a little foot at the bottom for the tire to sit on to distribute the weight of the tire to one more point, in addition to the two mounting bolts. I used spacers inside the tubing so that when the bolts are tightened, they don't crush the tubing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3630.JPG   IMG_3629.JPG  

IMG_3631.JPG   IMG_3628.JPG  

Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
That looks good. I wanted to get mine off the back bumber so one day I could attach a bike rack. I bought a nice little tire mount from Princess Auto for around $25.00. I would show you a pic but it's on a different thread under bkboler renos and I havn't figured out how to add that link to this thread.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
That looks good. I wanted to get mine off the back bumber so one day I could attach a bike rack. I bought a nice little tire mount from Princess Auto for around $25.00. I would show you a pic but it's on a different thread under bkboler renos and I havn't figured out how to add that link to this thread.

I was also going to add a rear mount for a bike rack, but discussions here convinced me that I need to move the bikes to the back of the TV or put them inside. It sounds like a pretty rough ride back there, which is why I made the tire rack as strong as I did.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I never thought of how bumpy of a ride it might be. I just might have to reconsider. Thanks for the heads up. I do like where my spare is on the front, so I think I'm going to leave it there anyway.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Perfect- Just the kind of thing I need. Your pics tell the entire story. I'm on my way to a friends who just might have some aluminum stock around.. thanks mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
I would show you a pic but it's on a different thread under bkboler renos and I havn't figured out how to add that link to this thread.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post304136
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:19 AM   #7

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Bumper mount spare on Boler?

I'm reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one. Maybe it's just to show that I did my homework and research first...

I'm about to paint the outside of my Boler (as in "someday", not as in "this weekend"...) and I'm not sure I like the fact that the spare is mounted directly to the back wall. Will it not rub against my brand new paint?!

I like the support at the beginning of this thread. Or something already made like this ?

Do I worry too much?
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Chris & Sarah
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Hi Sylvio,
I'm interested to see what responses you get, as we need to replace/repair our spare tire mount.

The one that was on our Boler was kind of like the one at the beginning of this thread, but was more of a square frame; the tire was bolted in two places. But one of the holes has broken, so we are figuring out whether to get the local welder to repair it or get the Heavy Duty tire mount from Princess Auto, which is very similar to the one you linked to.

The one you linked to/the Princess Auto one, does anyone have any experience with this mounted on the back part of the Boler frame? I'm no engineer, but it seems that having the tire sticking out a bit would put a lot of force on the frame. Please tell me I'm wrong, because I'm really liking the $25 price tag!
ChriSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #9

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
A close inspection of my bumper revealed a few cracks created by rust. I decided against using a system that mounts the spare on the bumper. I just got a new tire put on my spare wheel and will mount it on the wall with the originat bracket. The spare tire was still the 40+ year-old original one!

Sorry I can't give you more feedback.
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #10

Name: Chris & Sarah
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
That's all right. I'm glad you found the crack before you put the tire there and hit the open road!
ChriSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1467663316.437864.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	97008

Two pieces of 1inch square tubing and a cross piece. Now add a couple of bolts and some locknuts. Keep the tubing slightly taller than the tire so that it doesn't stick into the sidewall.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
I'm reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one. Maybe it's just to show that I did my homework and research first...
I'm about to paint the outside of my Boler (as in "someday", not as in "this weekend"...) and I'm not sure I like the fact that the spare is mounted directly to the back wall. Will it not rub against my brand new paint?!

To protect the gelcoat I cut a circle out of 1/8th" plywood (like a door skin) about an inch smaller than the tire diameter. Picked up some 1/8th" thick grey carpet from one of the big box stores and used 3M90 to glue it on the ply. My SD has only one mounting bolt in the shell as the tire sits on the bumper. One 5/8ths hole in the plys center and I'm done.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul