Burro air conditioner mod - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Burro
Iowa
Will do. I can tell you it is about 95 with a heat index of 105. I turned it on and in about 15 minutes it was 78 and felt comfortable inside. I imagine when the sun goes down it will cool off more.
Mtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That's super and PLENTY of cool for the day. I usually set my digi thermostat to 67-68 at night in my 13' Scamp. Sounds like you nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtanner View Post
Will do. I can tell you it is about 95 with a heat index of 105. I turned it on and in about 15 minutes it was 78 and felt comfortable inside. I imagine when the sun goes down it will cool off more.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #23

Name: george
Trailer: 1998 burro 17'
Texas
do you have the 13 or 17 ft burro? my 5000 but carry on a/c will not cool my 27ft sailboat down in july/august in galveston unless its turned on early in the morning and runs all day! the smaller a/c wound be an easier install by i worry about its ability to cool down a 17 wide body if i turn it on in the heat of the day, thus am contemplating an 8000btu unit to cool down quickly
george w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #24

Iowa
In in iowa where it does get hot but if you are down south I'd try to use as big of airconditioner that can fit for the installation you choose.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita 16SD
Florida
Good idea George. The location in my Casita was on floor at entrance and it did not do a good job of keeping the camper cool throughout. So, I decided to move it to the rear window. Not crazy about the look of it hanging out the back but it does cool the entire camper more evenly, it cycles less often and seems to be more efficient. Plus, it is much more accessible for replacement or maintenance. If I had removed the circle from the blades like you did I would not have had the problems I did.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #26

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I had a 5K GE with a self evaporating pan under the front bench in my Uhaul and it worked great; my wife would complain it was too cold for her.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Maybe even a larger vent

It would seem that installing an air intake vent to recirculate the inside camper air for cooling is much the same concept as the option in auto air conditioners that allow the driver to select to either draw in outside air, or recirculate inside air.

The manual for my Toyota pu says:

“For quick cooling, move the air intake selector to recirculate for a few minutes”

“”For best results, set controls to – Air intake – Fresh (outside air).

I have no idea what the difference is, but I leave mine on recirculate all the time.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This you may know...but "Recirculate" does NOT bring in fresh air but simply uses what's in the vehicle. Obviously, the "fresh air" intake lets air in from the outside.

I personally DO NOT use "fresh air" especially here in Tennessee where it's hot/humid. It cools MUCH more quickly and continuously on "recirculate". I do this with ALL my vehicles. Notice that house units recirculate for the most part and you'll rarely see a unit that has the "fresh air" option.

In my opinion though, vehicle manufacturers may recommend that to cut down on the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning- (bad/leaking exhaust system etc.). A mechanic just caught this on my '99 Nissan Frontier- a leak right underneath my cab! It's all been replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
It would seem that installing an air intake vent to recirculate the inside camper air for cooling is much the same concept as the option in auto air conditioners that allow the driver to select to either draw in outside air, or recirculate inside air.

The manual for my Toyota pu says:

“For quick cooling, move the air intake selector to recirculate for a few minutes”

“”For best results, set controls to – Air intake – Fresh (outside air).

I have no idea what the difference is, but I leave mine on recirculate all the time.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #29

Iowa
There are 2 reasons I chose to recirculate rather than creating an air intake. First off it was much easier and less invasive on my camper to recirculate the air. The already is one large hole in the floor for the hot air exhaust. I didn't want to add a second. Also the way the unit is set up the intake air is brought in through vents on the top and both sides of the unit. To cover all of those and vent them in a already tight space would not have been easy to accomplish.

The secondnd reason is one that was just mentioned. I think it would be more efficient to cool off the already cool and dryer air then bring in hot humid air from outside. The recirculating air in a car analogy fits my thought process. I may be wrong in this but for now I'm happy with the results

Mike
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #30

Name: Chris
Trailer: Burro 13 ft
North Carolina
Is there any way that you could post a picture of the bottom of your camper where the hot air escapes from your AC unit? I was wondering what you do to keep rain and moisture from getting into the hole in the floor during driving in wet conditions or if you are concerned that it might be an unwanted entrance for bugs etc. Thanks! I hope that you can post a picture(s)/ explain as I would love to perform the same install on my 13 foot Burro!
fiberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #31

Name: Cory
Tennessee
I'm interested in how you do this also.

Additionally, do you have a drain on the bottom of the air conditioner? Some ACs are made to not drain. I was worried about water being splashed around and getting things wet. (NEVERMIND this comment. I saw you answer in the post below. Sorry).

Lastly, how are you getting fresh air to the intake before the exhaust duct work.

Long story short ... I could not figure out how to deal with all the issues. I ended up installing a portable air conditioner unit. It takes up a lot of space and costs a fair amount more than a window unit. I would like to know how to do what you are doing in case I want to change over.

Thanks.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:03 PM   #32

Name: Susanne
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
I had a 5K GE with a self evaporating pan under the front bench in my Uhaul and it worked great; my wife would complain it was too cold for her.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
How did you mount it
Susanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #33

North Carolina
Susanne, I can't post any pictures right now, but if you go to my albums you will fine pictures of my install there.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
Susanne, I can't post any pictures right now, but if you go to my albums you will fine pictures of my install there.
Direct link: Fiberglass RV - George Lauver's Album: George Lauver's 85 U-Haul CT-13
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #35

North Carolina
Sorry Donna D. wrong link.

Tags
burro