Scamp Bed Uncomfortable - Any Thoughts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Scamp Bed Uncomfortable - Any Thoughts

We love our 16' Scamp, but are beginning to hate the bed. Maybe I am just getting old, but after a night in the bed, my back is killing me. Our model has the rear table that converts to the bed. Any thoughts as to how we might make it a bit more welcome?
Rich Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Evil cushions

Mattress topper. Preferably a Gel variety because they don't hold the heat and make you uncomfortable. This is a blurb from overstock.com on mattress toppers. 2" makes it nicer, 3" is better for pain, but 4" you can sink in and never get out. Super comfy till someone needs the bathroom.

Memory foam, also called "temper foam," was first developed by NASA in the mid-1960s to ensure passenger comfort and protection in airplane seats. Memory foam mattress toppers mold to the body, and then slowly spring back to their original shape. This makes them ideal for those with back or joint pain. However, not all memory foam mattress toppers are the same. Here's how to choose one that will best suit your needs.
Choosing Your Mattress Topper:

Choose a memory foam mattress topper size that will fit your bed. Memory foam mattress toppers are sold in twin, full, queen, king, and California king sizes. Because these sturdy toppers sit flush against your mattress, purchasing one sized too small or too large may make your bed look and feel uneven.
Select the density of your memory foam. Density refers to the weight of one cubic foot of memory foam; this is proportionate to the level of "memory" your topper will have. Higher density memory foam mattress toppers conform better to body weight, provide stronger support, respond to body temperature more efficiently, and are more durable than the less dense models. Most people find that a memory foam mattress topper with a density of 3 pounds suits their needs perfectly, although those with body and joint pain may want a density of 4 pounds or more.
Select a thickness. Memory foam mattress toppers are generally sold in thickens of 1, 2, 3, and 4 inches. Memory foam with a 2-inch thickness or less will make your existing mattress feel more comfortable. This is a good thickness if you're just looking to extend the life of your mattress. A topper with a thickness greater than 2 inches will change the texture and feel of your bed, and is good if you sleep on your side.
Select a cover for your memory foam mattress topper. Memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic, resisting dust mites and other allergens. However, a cotton cover with a high thread count will protect your mattress topper from dirt, dust, and stains.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Scamp 16 Bed

Our 16 Deluxe has the big bed and was not very comfortable as you have noted in your original post.

The solution for us was going to Sams Club and picking up a 4-inch memory foam mattress topper. (Ours was really 3-inches of memory foam and included a 1-inch slip on cover.)

Now as you know the scamp has rounded corners in the sleeping/dinning area and the bed size isn't really a standard size. So we knew that going into the decision making and purchased a queen size.

Next we laid out the memory foam on the floor (at our home) laying the Scamp cushions on top to create a cutting template. Once we traced the outline we used an electric knife to cut the excess foam.

We found the electric carving knife at Walmart for about $10.

Once done you put the bed in the scamp back together and add pillows or your choice. All done!

The sheets, memory foam cover, etc are a little large but tuck in just fine underneath without any issues.

Note: In my opinion this is a setup and forget kind of operation. We do not intend to take this up and down each night. Plus the memory foam is somewhat heavy and would be very hard to store. Our Scamp has a side dinette we use for meals.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I know Southern Mattress makes a custom fit mattress for Casitas (we have one), maybe they make a custom mattress for Scamps too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Simply a bed topper. We bought a cheapo sponge topper at Walmart for like $18 and it's worked fine. We find the smallness more cumbersome than the softness.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Memory foam topper at Costco and other stores. Works very well.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Zman View Post
We love our 16' Scamp, but are beginning to hate the bed. Maybe I am just getting old, but after a night in the bed, my back is killing me. Our model has the rear table that converts to the bed. Any thoughts as to how we might make it a bit more welcome?
Richard, we use the self inflating back packer camping pads by Alps. When we had our 13' Scamp we used the very small ones designed for the weight and length of one's torso. These stored nicely under the cushions while seated at the table, and while using as a bed, the pads were still placed under the Scamp foam but in the direction of the way we slept. We now have a full time bed in our Lil Snoozy and use the full length "Basecamp" pads by Alps for our mattress. My wife uses hers inflated with the valve closed, while I use mine with the valves left open for a different firmness. I believe that Norm & Ginny also went with our suggestion and have had good results.
Best of luck with your search for the best sleeping surface.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I/we replaced the stock Scamp foam in the dinette/bed and sofa bottom cushions with a 3-layer foam sandwich.

Now, much better to sleep on & sit on. Also, nothing to store when converting bed to dinette.

Description & pix in this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=79867

Good luck to you! ☺

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Many forum members have talked about this subject for years. To find previous discussions go to the "Search" button (at the top of the page) and go to the bottom of the drop-down, in the "Search Site/Google" section and write the words "bed" or "bedding" and you will get many answers.

To find my favorite solution enter the words "Gilda bedding". For instance, look at entry #9 here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-55213.html I creating a bedding system that can be stored when the dinette table is set up. In reality, we've just found it easier to keep the bed set up and eat a simple breakfast sitting on the bed or the "couch" or eating outdoors when the weather is nice.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #10

Gilda, on our last outing, we took a newly-purchased "CLAM" shelter. The 12'. We moved our "kitchen" inside of it along with our chairs, small table to eat from with LOTSA room left over. The bed stays down. We're fair-weather campers and the CLAM proved to be a VERY valuable 2nd room to us!!

I do despise having to take the bed up and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Many forum members have talked about this subject for years. To find previous discussions go to the "Search" button (at the top of the page) and go to the bottom of the drop-down, in the "Search Site/Google" section and write the words "bed" or "bedding" and you will get many answers.

To find my favorite solution enter the words "Gilda bedding". For instance, look at entry #9 here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-55213.html I creating a bedding system that can be stored when the dinette table is set up. In reality, we've just found it easier to keep the bed set up and eat a simple breakfast sitting on the bed or the "couch" or eating outdoors when the weather is nice.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The three options have been mentioned: (1) custom one-piece mattress, (2) removable mattress topper, (3) new, softer foam (or a multi-grade foam sandwich) in the existing cushions.

Each had pros and cons. It comes down to cost and how often you want to convert the bed into a dinette.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #12

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
We use a 2 inch memory foam topper, cut to size using an old electric carving knife. It works great and, because we don't keep our bed made up, it rolls up and compresses nicely for storage. I bought a cinchable stuff bag at Big 5 to store it. It has three straps that can be tightened to compress the pad. The only problem has been that some of the red dye from the bag has leached into the foam pad. No big deal.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Scamp Bed Uncomfortable

We had the same problem the bed really sucks.
Had a custome mattress made by Texas Mattress Maker. It was a real mattress like the one at home. about 8 plus inches thick. I sleep like a baby.

PS had the mattress cut in half thus 2 mini mattress which are easy to handle. Cost was about $600 or about $6.00 a night for the 100 night we camp in 2016-2017 season. Topper are nice, hot and cheap - a real mattress is cool, comfortable and cost effective.

Texas Mattress Maker is located in Houston TX @ 4619 Navigation Blvd. If interested talk to "Lax"

Henry
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #14

Hmmm... ours is "sponge" and maybe that makes a difference; but we've NEVER experienced our topper being "hot".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattopuin64 View Post
. Topper are nice, hot and cheap - a real mattress is cool, comfortable and cost effective.

Henry
Old 06-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We had a local mattress store make us a 3" foam pad, with a fabric cover, for our 16Ft SD Scamp. It helped sleeping a lot. but was a bit of a nusance whenever we had to get into the compartmants below. But, I had added an outside cargo door on the street side for our chocks, blocks and hoses.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Assuming you want to keep the dinette as a dinette and just lower the table for a bed, I agree that the gel foam mattress toppers are your best bet. If the bed is permanent, I highly recommend a memory foam mattress. We sleep like the dead on it.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
One more option, google Froli System. Individual adjustable springs snapped together and topped with foam, cushions, or whatever. Pricey, but a couple of members here use and like it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We bought a Queen 8" spa mattress and used an electric carving knife to cut it to shape.
In our case we modified for twin beds, but it could be stock for carving to the sizes fo the existing bed, perhaps?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:02 AM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Zman View Post
Better Foam.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
I just use a flat sheet over the cousions, I could sleep anywhere , anytime. It just does not bother me. When we are both up , I put up the table, it,takes just a few minutes, and use it for what it was intended for. With both tables up , it gives us lots of counter space to do things. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp