1974 Amerigo FG-16 "Alice" Gut & Re-Build - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #41

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Mr. Stu,

OK, so what do you plan to use for the wall panels? We can't find anything quite like the originals, which are delaminating and rotted at the bottom edges...but as plywood, they're strong.

We strongly considered the white FRP, but also wonder if 1/4" sanded plywood would work? Someone said if you use ply, you have to paint all the surfaces before you install it--that'd be doable...

Kai in Seattle
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #42

Registry
Hi, Mr. Stu,

Paul got the very front piece of plywood out--.

We found a big gap running about a foot from each side across the whole front where it looks like a piece of wood should go, maybe a 2x6? What did you do with that area? We also found where the 2x4 goes between the two front plywood sheets, and will do that the same way you said you did.

THANKS!

Kai in Seattle
Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #43

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Minnesota
Registry
You see, now you are at the fun part, You can do anything you want! :-)
I carefully removed all of the factory panels so that I could use them for templates. I found some raised paneling at Menards. It is medium shade of brown but with the texture should look good. I was considering that headliner stuff but it was too spendy and I thought it would be hard to keep clean. I have a bunch of pre-finished maple boards that I plan to use for the cabinetry. I don't know why you would have to paint plywood, If you like the wood look, you could get plywood with a wood veneer and just poly it...However you envision your camper...
Mr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #44

Minnesota
Registry
P.S. I use those channels for floor support. I cut and fit wood support pieces then ran stainless screws through the flooring to secure them to the underside of the new floor.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #45

Registry
Hi,

You're right, the fun part is coming up. Paul has looked over all your photos and read all your posts numerous times; you've been so helpful and inspiring step by step! Thanks, he got all the old ply out (and much of that "smell" went with it) and has new coming (three sheets); first he needs to clean up the fiber floor and fill a number of odd holes before he covers the area with new ply.

Do you think we should leave any "weep holes" or "water channels" below the new ply, or would that just be asking for trouble?
Old 10-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #46

Minnesota
Registry
Definitely keep the weep holes!!!!!! If you get water in there under the floor and it cannot escape or get air to dry out, all your work will rot away and that would be sad :-(
Old 11-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #47

Registry
Seems like forever since you updated your work...anything going on there? Seems Paul works for two hours, then tries to clean up the garage for four hours...like most projects, he takes out so many tools and supplies it gets heaped to the point of paralysis! So far, we discovered another area of rot, the old battery box inside with a big hole in the fiberglass wheel well next to it. That's pulled out, too, and now the smell has diminished enough my face doesn't feel like it's burning when I peek inside. Hoping one of the recommended mold-products/odor killers will help out when we get a little further on.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #48

Minnesota
Registry
The work continues, although at a slower rate...

It has been getting colder here and dark before I get home so I have only been doing work on the weekends when I have time.
I did just finish installing all of the LED running and brake lights and have begun the internal wiring. I have already gone through 160' of low voltage wire and ran out...have to get another spool!
With the new paint job and new exterior lighting, it's starting to look cool .
I also installed a brake light bar that flashes when you hit the brakes. If someone rear ends me insurance won't cover it because it is so old, which would really bum me out after all the work and $ I have put into this thing. I will post some pics when I get a chance.
My battery box was the only wood that was not rotted out in mine. The FO had his battery in front of the wheel well for some reason. I plan to put that box to work. I am trying to run as much of my wiring between the walls and the false ceiling as I can.
It is definitely more fun installing new stuff than to pull out the old rotted nastiness!
Have fun!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #49

Minnesota
Registry
Exterior lighting and wiring pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04254.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	90400

Name:	DSC04257.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	90401

Name:	DSC04259.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	90402

Name:	DSC04260.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	90403
Old 11-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #50

Registry
Oh, yes. What color(s) is it painted? Can't quite tell.

Lights look so good!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #51

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
doing a great job. love it all keep it up
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #52

Name: Tommy
Trailer: Shopping
Tennessee
Keep it up there is one for sale here for 2500 that need minor work. I am afraid to take the leap since its so old now.
limp1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #53

Minnesota
Registry
2016-Finally Back at it!

Boy, it is a lot more fun putting in new stuff than the gut was. Now that old man winter is a memory and the weather is more agreeable I am finally back to my re-build.
I started off with putting in the internal wiring with Desk pass-through grommets for the wiring access holes. Next, I tackled putting in new gas lines and hooking up the e-brakes to my new harness. I installed semi-truck grade wiring connections between the trailer and the tow vehicle.
Today I began the flooring. In the rear half of the trailer, I first installed a breathable underlayment with some nice vinyl plank flooring that I picked up.
I used a pneumatic porter cable stapler along the four edges to hold it all together. And that is where I am at so far....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04349.jpg   DSC04350.jpg  

DSC04352.jpg   DSC04353.jpg  

DSC04354.jpg   DSC04355.jpg  

DSC04357.jpg   DSC04358.jpg  

DSC04360.jpg   DSC04362.jpg  

Old 06-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #54

Minnesota
Registry
More pics of "Alice"

Here are the rest of the pics from my latest progress. I wish I had more time than the weekends!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04364.jpg   DSC04365.jpg  

DSC04367.jpg   DSC04371.jpg  

DSC04379.jpg   DSC04382.jpg  

DSC04383.jpg   DSC04384.jpg  

DSC04385.jpg   DSC04387.jpg  

Old 06-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #55

Minnesota
Registry
color

I painted the camper bright white...I used marine deck paint via a compressed air driven paint gun. Sorry it took so long to reply.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #56

Registry
MR> STU! There you are! Mr.Claus! HI!

That's some fine-looking work you're doing! I'm so glad you're able to get back at it, and I so commiserate about having only weekends to do it.

We've had a long string of plusses, and today Paul hooked up and towed PEANUT down to his old job to show her off at this stage, which is new tires, repacked wheel bearings, brakes good, electricity all in, galley "done," closet done, front closet/loo ("The Putin") done...the two back bed bins are done except for the tops, which he'll do in the next couple of days. THEN the front settee area, the rest of the reverse-stained (pickled) thin plywood wall panels (surprisingly simple) and we're finished except for the hundred tiny minor things, like putting a screw here or a tie-back there.

GRANTED, we have no water lines or propane. Neither of us could face adding water other than some bottles for immediate consumption. I never wanted propane anyway.

We sat out in it last night for two hours, just smiling and admiring and patting ourselves on the back, boy are our arms sore!

Then today he got three-dozen assorted doughnuts to start thanking the guys at his old job, and rolled off before I was even dressed, so I didn't get to see him go.

Oh, well! He's done the lion's share of the physical work, though I have carried
my own weight in planning, sourcing, complaining and correcting, some of my strong suits.

GUYS! Good to see you here again!

BEST!

Oh-- PEANUT: the inner configuration where it's wider at both ends and narrows in the middle between the (once-fridge) closet and galley... AND -- it's a SHELL with TWO NUTS in it.

Family members voted for PEANUT, and I couldn't disagree.

Will post photos when Paul gets them developed, apparently around the 12th of Never.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #57

Minnesota
Registry
Hi back at ya!

I look forward to seeing what you have done.
It is just getting fun for me
Old 06-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #58

Registry
Thumbs up Big news, 1973 amerigo weighed

I am so eager to post pictures...

Yesterday Paul rolled it to work and let it be seen even though it's still undone...it went well, he got more supplies including a metal futon frame that someone had tossed in the scrap metal bin.

Turns out the two halves fit our two bed areas perfectly. So we were able to skip a lot of work and plan for installing them instead of more plywood. It'll be great ventilation for the mattresses, too. We both have 7" all foam now from IKEA, as we bought a double today for Paul's "bedroom." We'll create a u-shaped area with a full-time 30 or 32" bed at the very rear and two permanent seats...with bin openings below. The rest of the back bins will be totally accessible when we're done.

He got a metal rod for curtaining between the two bedrooms (I read late into the night, he doesn't), and cardboard sheeting to make patterns for the rest of the wall paneling. We can almost taste completion here! I'm so eager to load up the groceries and set out! First stop, Oakridge, Oregon, to see my Auntie.

The Nehalem NOG October 6 will be on Shellimar, The Peanut's birthday (1 year since we towed her home). As soon as we get the beds in, I'll make a reservation for that meet, if not the one at the end of July in Bandon, Oregon.

Maybe one of these days we'll get those photos done and put into the computer. My camera used to do that with a little cable, and then it just stopped.

Good to hear from you!
Hope it's going well! Looks so good! We see things we might've considered at the time, there's always more to do right...but sometimes we just forged on regardless.

oh, and he HAD IT WEIGHED BY A CERTIFIED scale fellow, SID at Machnists, Inc.

With the floor, the closet, the galley, and the front "Putin" (poo-tin), with the back bins 3/4 built, it weighed 1763. Tongue weight was 220.

Since our capacity is 3600/360, we have more leeway than trailer at this point! We are sure we'll come in under maximum!

So...going very well!

BEST

Tags
amerigo