U-Haul Camper Trailer Windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
U-Haul Camper Trailer Windows

We have a U-Haul travel trailer which requires window repairs or replacements, looking for parts.

Having trouble sourcing parts, does anyone have any ideas?

Cobourg ON
Robert Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Replacements would have to be custom made and would be expensive, probably around $400 each. You would want to go with a clamp ring type window for the side windows to eliminate the original rubber weatherstrip install. A Scamp rear window will fit front or rear by slightly widening the opening. I installed a Scamp side window but had to make a filler piece as the Scamp window is smaller. Parts info is in the document center here, but the best info is in the Uhaul Facebook group in the "files" section there. I disagree with some of that info, but the majority seems to like it, so do your research and decide.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

Ontario
U haul Windows

Thank you for the information. much appreciated.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul
Alabama
one would think/hope there would be a bunch of new old stock window stuffs out there some where......im in the same delima
drjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
one would think/hope there would be a bunch of new old stock window stuffs out there some where......im in the same delima

I would hope so mas well, although a local travel trailer dealer/ repair said they could rebuild and repair the windows.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
A surplus place in Nebraska had some new Uhaul side windows that they had bought when production of the campers was discontinued. They had sat in crates in their warehouse for years, forgotten about. A few years ago they pulled them out and sold them, they sold out real quick. I bought two, installed one, saving the other for a spare. The rubber weatherstrip that the windows mount in is available as is a close to original channel liner.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #7

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul
Alabama
M&B, do you have a contact for the rubber and channel? My glass is good. They were just leaking and the prior owner did a terrible job at trying to run a bead of silicon around the windows. I've thought about taking the trailer to an automobile glass company and see what they suggest.
drjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #8

Ontario
Thanks for the feed back. If I find a suitable solution I will pass it along.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #9

Ontario
I wondered what company exactly made the U Haul travel trailers. Interesting to know there were windows left in storage.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hunter View Post
I wondered what company exactly made the U Haul travel trailers. Interesting to know there were windows left in storage.
The trailers were made by more than one company. Yours may have a sticker that says where it was made.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #11

New York
To answer Jeff; from the home page here you can get to the document center, then go all the way down to trailer manufacturers and click on Uhaul and that will take you to some good info, one thing being a thread about rebuilding the side windows. I disagree with what rubber weatherstrip to use (AS1488) because of the groove width. I used AS1456. Available from perfect fit.com. You have to buy 50 feet and each side window uses about 7 feet. The rubber may not be the total source of leaks, it could be that the weep holes for the glass channel are plugged or not draining properly and water overflows to the inside. A few owners have used shoe laces or string through the weep holes to act as a wick to help get the water out. These windows leaking were a problem when the trailers were still in rental service. You can also download the original Uhaul repair manual in the document center, and in it they show sealing around the windows, but I believe that was not really the problem and they were looking for a quick fix. The Uhaul Facebook group is the best source of info, and there is a "files" section with all kinds of info there.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I bought some rebuilt UHaul windows and the person drilled out the weep holes
a little bigger. So far, neither Uhaul window has leaked. I have two Scamp windows (1 side, 1 front). i like the Scamp side windows as they clamp in like the front and rear windows. However, you have to make a filler panel for the side window because they are a little smaller than the UHaul. I fiberglassed the one I did but that was a lot of nasty. If I do the other side it will be with an aluminum filler.
If you join the Face Book group and post the question about Scamp windows with a filler panel, the right person will get the message.
Here's my thread so you can see the Scamp windows.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-77917.html
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #13

New York
We did the aluminum filler panel. I believe we were the first ones to do it, but I got the idea from someone that used fiberglass to decrease the opening size. That was probably 5 or so years ago. If I hadn't been able to get a pair of the NOS windows I would have installed another Scamp side window. I think I was the first to install a Scamp rear window, now everybody does it. It's a good replacement and not too expensive.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
The Scamp windows are so much better than the originals, I'm surprised you didn't mention them first. The filler panel is a better option than what I did because it's reversible easily.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 PM   #15

Name: Adam
Trailer: Uhaul
Florida
Where can I get more info on the aluminum filler panel to reduce the window opening size? What is this and how is it done?
moonpies4misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #16

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
U-Haul Camper Trailer Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpies4misfits View Post
Where can I get more info on the aluminum filler panel to reduce the window opening size? What is this and how is it done?

You have to make it.it involves measuring The fiberglass opening to center the filler, figuring out how much over lap and radius you need ,cutting that out , checking to make sure it works, if so mark the fiberglass so you can get it back in the right place later,then tracing the new window opening after centering then cutting it out. Clean up the edges. D rly fit on window, if good then use butyl tape and pop rivets to mount to fiberglass between your marks. Piece of cake. Then mount window with butyl.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #17

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpies4misfits View Post
I went to my local welding / fabricator shop, bought a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum, cut it to the size I needed and cut the opening for a Scamp window to fit in. Clamp ring has to be installed backwards. Do not use the foam tape that Scamp sends with the window.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0180.jpg  
Old 12-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #18

Florida
These seem like two different Methods? One w fiberglass and one with Aluminum sheet. I'd like to maintain the fiberglass look of the window surround. There are body fillers with metal mixed in and I figured the "aluminum filler" was made up of this.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #19

Florida
Anyone know the original Uhaul Windows radius off hand?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #20

New York
We went for the easy fix as we were not looking for a show piece camper, but one that was more functional and economical. Only did one side as I was able to purchase two new original windows but already had one of the Scamp windows. May eventually install another Scamp window as I bought enough aluminum to do both.

Tags
u-haul, windows