OurBoler.com 74 Boler rebuild - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #221

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Welding the frame was a fun learning experience, thanks to the help I had!

The axle was twisted almost 2 inches, so it was heated, cut, twisted back, something I never would have attempted on my own.

It took 2 days to put together.

With the new frame ready to go, It hurt to pull out the duct tape and add the lights and licence plate.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #222

Alberta
Once home I cleaned the frame.

I then primed it, and painted it with a roller. Had some help with the places the roller didn't reach.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #223

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Eh Chris GREAT job. Did you reuse the old axle or put on a new one? I would have went with brakes on a new axle.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #224

Alberta
Hi Rick,

I priced out an new axle, but also had the old axle checked and it was said to be good. The xle did have a twist in it, but when we where welding up the new frame we also fixed the old axle. The axle is only held on by 4 bolts, making it really easy to change in the future if it is needed.

I am curious why would you recommend brakes? I have always found it stops fast enough, and I am looking at trucks for this summer so we can bring more toys camping (bikes, canoes ect), and will have a 6500 lb towing capacity.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #225

Alberta
I picked up some babymoons at a local hubcap store and decided to paint the wheels white with a small green pinstripe.

The pinstripe didn't work out, a little more research and I will try again, but they are good enough for now.

Another local Boler owner was nice enough to pick up a drip guard for me, so I installed that as well.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #226

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Chris, you're doing a fabulous job. Thanks for sharing the pictures and letting us all follow along on the rehab!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #227

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
Hi Rick,

I priced out an new axle, but also had the old axle checked and it was said to be good. The xle did have a twist in it, but when we where welding up the new frame we also fixed the old axle. The axle is only held on by 4 bolts, making it really easy to change in the future if it is needed.

I am curious why would you recommend brakes? I have always found it stops fast enough, and I am looking at trucks for this summer so we can bring more toys camping (bikes, canoes ect), and will have a 6500 lb towing capacity.
Brakes are light & relatively cheap. You may not need them most of the time. However it only takes once when you stop a few feet shorter or can manually hit the trailer brakes to stop a fishtail to pay for them several times over. Trailer brakes are also cheaper & easier to replace than the ones on your tow vehicle.

Sent from my K00C using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #228

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
I'm towing with a Subaru Forrester and it specifies a larger towing weight if the trailer has brakes, so I need them to be legal. I spent many years towing a rally car on a single axil trailer and the trailer brakes saved the day a couple times when the rig got sideways on a slippery surface.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #229

Alberta
Thanks Donna.

Great comments on the brakes! Thanks.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #230

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
I shifted back to the outside, as it is the biggest part of the project holding up our camping adventures.

I test fit all the windows and vents and with a metal file adjusted the fit.

I taped up all the windows to keep the inside clean while I work on the exterior. I then scraped off some body fill that was used over a year ago, but never hardened (I am sure it was operator error.) I then added a couple layers of fiberglass to the patches on the outside. I cut the vents for the 3 way cooler. With the fiberglass dry it was time for the Bondo.

You can see the Bondo and the vents for the cooler. A hatch was cut out of this side to serve coffee out of this trailer, which is a lot of the Bondo work.

The cooler vents from the inside of the trailer.

Test fitting the cooler, it has lots of clearance behind it and room for the vents and fan.

Put the tongue jack on, the old one was seized and the top was missing or bent. The wheel makes it easier to move it in and out of the garage.
What brand and model is your 3 way cooler? I have seen 110/12 volt coolers but not a 3 way for LP, just the 3 way RV refrigerators...did you give $209 for it new? Where? How well does it work for you?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #231

Alberta
I sold the cooler as I was unhappy with how it worked. It did not have a level bubble and was tough to tell if it was level. If it was not level it would still burn, but not cool so it was not obvious. We had everything spoil twice due to this. It was tough to light.

I got an old fridge, and a new regulator and hose. Got the propane working on the fridge and love it. It is worth the extra money to get a fridge.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #232

Name: Erica
Trailer: Flat top Boler
Manitoba
Boler emblem

Hi!

I have no emblems on my Boler and am hoping to buy one casted from somebody. Can anyone help me out?
Bolero47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #233

Alberta
Hi Erica,

I think we can figure something out, I will message you.

Tags
boler