Boler - Replacement of Tedco 202TW Fridge (3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Name: Seth
Trailer: 1975 boler
Rhode Island
Boler - Replacement of Tedco 202TW Fridge (3

I am a new owner of 1975 Boler 13'.

It's got the original Tedco 202TW Three Way Fridge. It cools some on 110V but not down enough. Propane is hard to start.

Is there a easy stock replacement, if I choose to go that route?

Is it worth servicing the old one?

Thanks!
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
When was the last time it was run? Some people have had luck with removing them, and then putting them on each side and upside down for 24 hours each. Somehow it gets the refrigerant flowing better. They aren't the easiest to remove though as they are secured for travel down bumpy roads!

It might also be difficult to find someone to service it as many RV shops won't touch trailers as old as ours. As for replacing it, there are some out there, but they usually are deeper (front to back) than the Tedco and you will have to build some sort of frame to compensate.

Sorry not better news. I would try cleaning up the back as much as possible and give it some more time too. If it's empty it won't cool down as quickly as when it is full too.

Good Luck!
T
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Old trailers and old refrigerators do much better at cooling down when as close to perfectly level as possible... I'm talking about the refrigerator! How long did you wait to determine it was as cold as it was going to get? Depending on outside temperature it can take hours to get cold. These things don't work like your home refrigerator.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
I gave up on mine and turfed it. I have a good igloo cooler that will keep beer and food cold for a week with one block.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #5

Rhode Island
110 Volt

So I left it on all night and it was down to 38 degrees in the morning. I thought I was good to go.

I pulled out to my less-than-level driveway to air out, and in the sun (70 degrees) and it jumped up to 60. Perhaps it is the leveling issue. Maybe it just can't keep up with the warmer temps - or maybe it is the leveling. Will experiment more.

Once I sort that out, will try to get the propane going.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Level the refer while it's in the driveway Seth, the old units need to be just about dead nut level both ways. I use a bullseye level on the freezer deck.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Rhode Island
Thanks. Will try it.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #8

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Most of these refrigerators don't get much attention until there is a problem, so I would start by giving the unit and it's cabinet a good cleaning. Make sure there are no mud dauber nests on the coils. Also, spiders really like the smell of propane odorant so they will make their nests in the burner. A fine, soft brush will get the cobwebs out, as will compressed air. Be careful with the air, as it will blow the jet right out.

Here is a link that will show you how to clean the burner.

That orifice is very small and just the tiniest bit of crud will reduce it's size significantly. Heed the warning: Do not poke anything through the jet to clean it. It's soft metal and you will ruin it.

The older absorption reefers are particularly sensitive to being off balance, as measured on the reefer itself. Side to side level is most important.

Good luck. Don't condemn it until you have given it a real chance
Old 02-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
I read that the refrigerant is in the tube that is horizontal in the bottom rear of the unit. If this is correct I would level the unit at home using the tube containing the refrigerant. Level in both directions and then try to make ice that way (both electric and gas). If it works great then take that leveling reading as your new standard level and make something to attach to the outside of your rig that your level rests on to indicate this new standard. Leveling from the inside of the frig. may have some surfaces that vary from level over others. The whole idea is to get the collecting tube perfectly level and set that as the standard, not the inside of the frig. Ours has an uneven (slightly) bottom plastic surface and the shelves are not so level to each other. It's hard to tell what is the perfect inside surface from which to measure.
ps.....if it's the refrigerant tube that needs to be level and that tube runs length-wise to your RV then why does it have to be level in the right to left (width) position since it's a round refrigerant collecting tube?

Tags
boler, fridge