reasonnable price for lil bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Money Matters
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
reasonnable price for lil bigfoot?

Hello, we are going to look at a 1989 lil' Bigfoot today. It has been completely been refurbished, with new tires and brakes. they are asking for $10700. I am new to the fiberglass trailer world, so can anyone tell me if it's a fair price? we haven't seen it yet, but owners say everything is working.
Julgarneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's a tough one, Julie. There are so many variables of condition, season, and location. You can do some research in the classified archives here and at Fiberglass RV's For Sale | Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale.

A big question in my mind is whether the axle has been replaced. Lil Bigfoot uses a rubber torsion axle with a typical useful lifespan around 20 years. An axle replacement is somewhat more involved (and more expensive) on a Lil Bigfoot due to an usual frame design. If the axle has already been replaced that would be a big plus. Since new brakes are mentioned, it's possible but not certain.

Off the top of my head, assuming $CAD and everything checking out as described including the axle, it sounds pretty fair to me. But I'm going to equivocate like a good lawyer... do your homework and a very careful inspection! A second set of eyes with some RV experience and who is not emotionally invested in the purchase is always a good idea.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thank you Jon, that is super helpful!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1. Canadian $$ (= discount)

2. Convenient to you (if that is the case). We traveled over 400 miles one way to buy our trailer.

3. You are not going to see one again for sale for probably a long time.

4. Condition is everything.

5. Check this site out, good source on trailers that have sold (of course, sellers may have taken less, but fiberglass trailers tend to sell fast).

Bigfoot Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

6. As I mentioned, fiberglass trailers sell fast, we sold our 96 Casita in four hours. Limited supply, strong demand.

7. If you want a new one, be prepared to miss this year's camping season. For example, Escape is backed up until the end of December.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
$10700 Canadian funds sounds like a very good deal. Major $$$ can be spent fixing rotten floors and axles.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:51 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Let us know how you get on. Thats a lot of money (the deals are only for americans lol) I would definitely want a new axle and solid floor and frame plus either original gel coat all polished up or a good paint job. New battery also.
Fridge should be tested and working.

Hope it works out. If it doesn't there was a 2010 Escape 13 posted on the Escape forum today, bit more money but looks very nice.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post189450
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:36 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
That Escape is a DEAL. 21 years newer. It will not last long!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Rare camper. It might be up to you if you wish to pay that amount. Is it important to own a rare L'il Bigfoot? Is important to own Bigfoot quality? Is it important to have a refurbished camper?

Personally, as a fairly new owner of a Bigfoot, they are all they are cracked up to be for quality. And I can personally attest to that, as Kevin was repairing the hinge on of the cupboard doors (tall, oak cupboard doors - we own the 28' Bigfoot), and it fell on my elbow. Very good quality oak door!

We love our Bigfoot!

CindyL
Old 04-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #9

British Columbia
Thank you so much everyone for all your input. We did buy it, they accepted a bit lower price. It is really in mint condition inside. Looks good underneath as well. Just the axle we can't really be sure of. It was refurbished last year by a couple who does that. This couple we bought it from used it a year and are done with camping (they feel they are getting too old). They don't have paperwork for anything though as it wasn't done for a RV dealer or repair shop. Anyway, there was a line of people wanting to take it so we had to decide quickly. It was 20 kms away from our house and most of the other fibreglass trailers we were considering were so far away. Now, we are interested in getting it raised up for more clearance. Not sure if people have had this done? I am wondering if it needs to be done.
I might just start a new thread in another area of forums for that though. We are nervous but happy as well!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Congratulations, how exciting. Now we need pictures
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot