Camping advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Camping advice

We are beginning to plan our first trip to the Adirondacks and are wondering if anyone had a favorite campground to recommend.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have ZERO recommendations since I'm on the opposite coast (The Pacific NorthWET). Just wanted to pop in and tell you to have a fabulous time whereve you land and make a TON of great memories.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: compact jr
New York
I do not know how far you plan on going up- but I enjoy Hearthstone in Lake George. You have water access and a beach in the campground.
raddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #4

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
I stayed at Little Sand Point on Lake Piseco in the Adirondacks last year and loved the campground. Most sites are on the lake, bathrooms modern and clean.
fiddlesticksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We like to stay at Cranberry Lake State Park on our way through the state. Have been there three times and never disappointed. It's rustic, but the sites are private and we can always get one on the water.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We go to Fish Creek Pond every June for a teardrop rally. Just got home yesterday after 6 days there. Most sites are on the water but close together with little or nothing to separate them. Black flies, mosquitoes, and no-seeums are plentiful this time of year.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Canadian couple that organize the teardrop rally have a great website, fishcreekpond.com. after you get there go on "campsite guide". They have taken photos of all the sites from various angles and describe each site. Go down to "other state / DEC parks in the Adirondaks" and you will find photos that they have taken of other campgrounds. There are photos they have taken of some state parks that have not been put on the website yet as he hasn't had time to do so. Every year they travel around and photograph more state parks. Not affiliated with New York State.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Sid

Wisconsin
Thank you everyone for your recommendations. Part of the fun of traveling is planning your trips and this is one we want to do in the fall. Since we have never been we knew this would be the best place to seek advice. Now all we need is a rainy day to sit on the porch and research your favs!
Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
We are beginning to plan our first trip to the Adirondacks and are wondering if anyone had a favorite campground to recommend.
When do you plan on going Sid? I only ask because we have reservations at the North Pole Resorts at the base of Whiteface Mountain (CAMPING | NORTH POLE RESORTSNORTH POLE RESORTS) for a long July 4th weekend (5 days) and will be providing a report. I'm told it's great, if a bit pricey.

We camped for many years when the boys were younger at Lake Eaton near Long Lake (Lake Eaton - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation). It is one of our favorite campgrounds in the Adirondacks.

There are a few great parks in western NY when you're on the way. Allegany State Park (can't get their website up, but here's some info - Allegany State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It's a beautiful cross border (NY-PA) park. We're staying there this weekend, leaving noon-ish today.

Letchworth Sate Park (Letchworth State Park Information) in the Finger Lakes of western NY is awesome. Some call it the Grand Canyon of NY. We've stayed there a lot in the past and will continue to whenever we can.

Another favorite we like in the Finger Lakes is Keuka State Park at the top of Keuka Lake. It's just a beautiful place. We've stayed there many times as well.

Heed Bob's advice on small sucking bugs if you hit the Adirondacks in summer. Long pants, socks, long sleeved shirts, headnets and bug spray come in real handy!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
We like the KOA at Lake Placid, very clean and nice CG.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul
I will second Letchworth Sate Park. Big sites. Beautiful walk along the stream with many water falls.

I also second Keuka Lake State Park. Stayed there many times. Also has big sites, some with great view of the lake.

If you are going through PA, consider stopping at Black Moshannon State Park. Now one of my favorite state parks.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #12

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Purple Martin Campground near Lake George. With the many dozens of purple martin homes in and around the campground, it was the only place we could find where the mosquitoes were not eating us alive. The purple martins were eating them faster than they were eating us.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:25 AM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Another for Cranberry Lake SP.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Purple Martin Campground near Lake George. With the many dozens of purple martin homes in and around the campground, it was the only place we could find where the mosquitoes were not eating us alive. The purple martins were eating them faster than they were eating us.
I tried "googling" Purple Mountain Campground both with Lake George and with Adirondacks, and did not come up with any campgrounds of that name. Do you have maybe a different name for it?

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
Sid

Wisconsin
Quick update, we are planning on pulling the trigger on this trip in early October.
Fall colors?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #16

New York
Quote:
Quick update, we are planning on pulling the trigger on this trip in early October.
Fall colors?
As August wanes across the six-million-acre park, the leaves begin to change, eventually bursting into full color beginning in the Adirondack Mountains in early September. The best time to see fall foliage in the Adirondacks is late September into early October. The progression of color change decreases steadily in elevation, until mid-to-late October when the Adirondack Coast of Lake Champlain and Lake George begin to shed the last of the season's vibrant colors.

This is from: Adirondack Fall Foliage | Adirondacks, NY - Official ADK Region Tourism Site

Trust me Sid, living here, nothing stays the same from year to year. Sometimes fall is absolutely spectacular, other times, not so much. If nothing else, there's less sucking bugs around!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #17

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Another for Cranberry Lake SP.
I believe this is where the Kardashians camp!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
favorite camp site

While i now live on west coast...i remember as a child our family camped ever year at Brownstrack"....i believe that is the correct spelling...as a kid it was great and we always would make a trip to the dump to watch the bears....from the car
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner