New option for ParkLiners - Installed Awning - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I am having mine installed in a couple of weeks.
Very cool Huck! Good for you.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post

One thing for us while using the Fiama in our windy PNW conditions is we prefer to have the vertical support poles staked down with an aluminum stake that will allow the _foot_ of the pole that is being staked to ground to ride vertically on the tent stake. We have witnessed the staked foot lifting off the ground in high winds yet remain secured/safe from lifting off and away, or worse yet, being staked without the ability to bleed off the gust and possibly place undue stress on the mounting hardware on the fiberglass roof.

Thom
Good advise Thom I do the same with my awning. Scamp actually states in their manual they don't recommend the legs be used on the trailer side attachment in any kind of wind.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #23

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Boy, what a sharp looking rig ya got there Thom. Lookin good.
How's Cari doing with the gold panning?
THX for the rig-kudos Frank. Cari's rolling bling. On gold panning she was getting what she calls "fly terds" (small specks about the size of... ) out of the river last trip. She really doesn't mind since for her it is mostly in the _hunt_.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Good advise Thom I do the same with my awning. Scamp actually states in their manual they don't recommend the legs be used on the trailer side attachment in any kind of wind.
Carol, thx and yes i agree with your note on not utilizing the side mounts for awning legs. We got away from it quite accidentaly in our case because the 10ft size of ours places the front leg mount on the front passenger door. Quite inconvenient, but IMO, a blessing in disguise.

Since we live full time in our big rig at an RV park on the coast, we, in our good-nurtured-want-to-help mindset do occasionally introduce ourselves to visitors in the park (that and i'm the park's website developer guy so i'm sort of part of the _family_). The visitors with awnings spread out in the momentary calm are those that get some QT and get a friendly PNW coast greeting and reminder of our crazy weather. Like many say in Oregon (especially the North Coast), If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes, it will change.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Tom @ Parkliner

Yes, it's true- Parkliner is now offering the Fiamma awning on new and existing Parkliner campers. Photos of the awning both open and closed are attached. For more information, either email Tom Bass at tom@parkliner.com or call 336 269-2029.
Attached Images

Thomasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #25

Name: Pat
Michigan
Woo Hoo, can't wait, my Parkliner is coming with an awning. Got to have shade for my dogs…..(LOL)
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #26

Name: Jeff
Trailer: none
Florida
I have spoken to several customers who modify pool noodles and temporary fill the gap between the camper and the awning. This allows easy removal for cleaning.

Fiamma awnings are made primarily to block users from the sun and should be closed if the rain is heavy or wind is high to minimize chance of damage.
Fiammausa.com
Jeff from Fiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #27

Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
On the thread Flamma Awning! you will find a video of one on a Casita at Post #16 as well as photos of them on various Scamps.

Although the Flamma is a vast improvement over the old Dometic/Catalina awnings Scamp was using for years if I was in the market for a new awning I would also give the CareFree awning a serious look. Escape uses them and people seem REALLY happy with them as far as how easy they are to put up and take down and the biggie is there is no gap between the trailer and the awning.
Hi Carol,

I believe you have LESS chance of destruction with the venting between the camper and Awning. Think of the cheap patio umbrella vs the more expensive with the venting = less lift. Just say'n. Have a great weekend!
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF View Post
Hi Carol,

I believe you have LESS chance of destruction with the venting between the camper and Awning. Think of the cheap patio umbrella vs the more expensive with the venting = less lift. Just say'n. Have a great weekend!
If that were true then a bag awning would surely suffer destruction at least as easily as a fiamma.
My Catalina 2500 has been sealed with a PVC pipe caulked into the gap for over 10 years without harm, and has suffered some pretty serious storms with the legs tied to the picnic table.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #29

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If that were true then a bag awning would surely suffer destruction at least as easily as a fiamma.
My Catalina 2500 has been sealed with a PVC pipe caulked into the gap for over 10 years without harm, and has suffered some pretty serious storms with the legs tied to the picnic table.
Interesting. I just read on this forum where as you are not suppose to tie the legs down, did I miss read that? As for the Patio Brella, I guess all the makers of the vented ones are just a waste of money.
Btw, Floyd, I enjoy your posts.
Have a great weekend!
PS….I see where "Oliver" uses the Fiamma. We love that camper!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Interesting. I just read on this forum where as you are not suppose to tie the legs down, did I miss read that? As for the Patio Brella, I guess all the makers of the vented ones are just a waste of money.
Btw, Floyd, I enjoy your posts.
Have a great weekend!
PS….I see where "Oliver" uses the Fiamma. We love that camper!
What rationale was used to come to that conclusion? The legs come with cleats to fasten them either to the ground with stakes or to the trailer with clips.
Allow me to compensate... You have now read on this forum that tying the legs of the awning to a picnic table can prevent damage which would otherwise occur in moderate winds.
Retract the awning when anticipating high or strong winds.

Fiamma actually says not to have their awning deployed in the rain, then advises that the awning be deployed in such a way as to allow for drainage.

Always apply common sense when faced with contradiction.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #31

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I'm keeping my Gander Mountain Canopy, thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #32

Name: Pat
Michigan
Hi Frank are you getting all the snow we keep hearing about? Sure hope not, you PL will be buried

Pat
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do you post a "Trip Hazard" sign around your sight when you have that thing deployed?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I'm keeping my Gander Mountain Canopy, thanks!

Frank
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #34

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What rationale was used to come to that conclusion? The legs come with cleats to fasten them either to the ground with stakes or to the trailer with clips.
Allow me to compensate... You have now read on this forum that tying the legs of the awning to a picnic table can prevent damage which would otherwise occur in moderate winds.
Retract the awning when anticipating high or strong winds.

Fiamma actually says not to have their awning deployed in the rain, then advises that the awning be deployed in such a way as to allow for drainage.

Always apply common sense when faced with contradiction.
Thanks for the info and yes, always do use common sense. BTW….The Fiamma guy did write a few posts back concerning their thoughts.
Lastly, have you ever seen the patio umbrellas that have multiple vents? The vents help prevent "Lift". They also provide a cooling effect.
Thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the info and yes, always do use common sense. BTW….The Fiamma guy did write a few posts back concerning their thoughts.
Lastly, have you ever seen the patio umbrellas that have multiple vents? The vents help prevent "Lift". They also provide a cooling effect.
Thanks
I have seen the umbrellas. The ones I have seen are peaked in the middle and the vents seem to let the hot air out.
There is no peak on an awning to hold hot air, but it can escape out the high end when properly deployed. Maybe that is the difference?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm interested in the Fiamma myself as I saw it demonstrated at a Scamp camp last year. Would you care to share the posts that the Fiamma guy sent you concerning their thoughts? I cant believe any awning company wouldnt recommend reeling in their awning if you know a storm and/or wind is coming up. I NEVER leave my Dometic awning out if there's any chance of strong wind coming. I've seen/heard too many nightmarish tales about them. They CAN destroy themselves..

Quote:
Thanks
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I'm interested in the Fiamma myself as I saw it demonstrated at a Scamp camp last year. Would you care to share the posts that the Fiamma guy sent you concerning their thoughts? I cant believe any awning company wouldnt recommend reeling in their awning if you know a storm and/or wind is coming up. I NEVER leave my Dometic awning out if there's any chance of strong wind coming. I've seen/heard too many nightmarish tales about them. They CAN destroy themselves..
I've saved the parts from awnings which have been destroyed by wind. That's why mine is tied down when possible, and reeled in when threatened.
BTW... let me know if you want to get rid of that Catalina 2500, that's a great awning!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #38

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I also picked up one of those Gander Mountain shelters...I am thinking about 4 leg extensions to be able to raise the height of the legs so i could set it up next to my ParkLiner and still be able to use the door.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #39

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I like the Fiamma so much, I got two.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #40

Oregon
Ron,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I like the Fiamma so much, I got two.

your camper is beautiful! By far the nicest one on the market, IMO!

Linda

Tags
awning, parkliner