OurBoler.com 74 Boler rebuild - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #81

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I did manage to get some body work done, but as it started raining again I was forced back into the garage.

I picked up the wrap around curtain rod, the idea being that over the counter it could hang storage, depending on what we need.

I have never used a rivet before, so I read the instructions on the back of the package and Riveted on the Starting point to the closet.

I installed the rod over the counter as well, and the bend that will allow the rod to wrap around to the other window.

The green tape is just to mark where the rod ends and the corner piece begins. Regrettably I need to Rivet through the shell to do the rest, so I will wait until after it is painted.

I stained the remaining wood pieces and cleaned the garage as I wait for the weather to improve.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #82

Alberta
Today was more of a shopping day, so I didn't get a lot done on the trailer.

One side of the trailer has lug nuts, the other bolts. So I picked up some new lug nuts.

Cleaned up the wheels and painted them brown. Here yo ucan see one painted on the trailer and the other cleaned, but before paint.

With a week 9 days before I start painting I am trying to wrap up all the details and make sure I have all the parts I need before we head out to paint.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #83

Alberta
I installed the screen door today. Sewing machine isn't working after the move so I glued it together with speed sew then sewed it together by hand. I used pine trim to install it, the piece along the closet was screwed into the shelves in the closet. Above the door the wood piece will be attached through the fiberglass and also hold the drip tray above the door.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #84

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Boy you are like a steamroller. Full speed ahead. Once more thanks for the pictorial excursion. Helps a lot.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #85

Alberta
Thanks mike. Our holidays start at the end of the week, so I am really pushing to paint it over the weekend, so we can start using it
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #86

Alberta
Most of my time is spent sanding and working with Bondo, trying to get the shell ready for paint this weekend. With that I have gotten around to a few details.

I installed barrel bots to hold the top bunk railing in place.

Installed barrel bolts to hold the table in place when set up.

I wanted to paint a couple of details on the outside. After trying a few different things I found printable sticker sheets made for great templates.

The template I made for the Boler logos, I will just cut it out and have a Logo for above the windows, right size and all.

With Summer here the cushions will have to wait until the winter, so I am using an air mattress. I was surprised to find the trailer is a little wider at this height, being 6'7" I will take any room I can get on the bed. My son is testing it out.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #87

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Love it! Make every memory as you can. When the time comes you can no longer go... you'll remember every good moment of the past.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #88

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Well said Donna! Chris you are talented and have a great family support.
Thanks again for sharing this with us.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #89

Alberta
Thanks My youngest (in the picture), is almost always with me when I am working on the trailer. He says he is building an ice cream truck, glad he has an imagination as I think he just needs a reason to take the tools I'm using. I am enjoying the project, but am really looking forward to exploring with the family, I want to make sure we have a fun summer together.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #90

Alberta
Working hard on the Boler, will catch up on this post when I return from holidays, for now here is a preview.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #91

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
What did you make the boler name plate templates out of? My 2 name plates are pitted real bad and would like to replace them. No sense having a New looking Boler with old looking name plates.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #92

Alberta
Hi Rick,

I printed them on a full page sticker sheet i picked up at an office supply store. I found the stickers are easy to peal off after painting and you can print anything you want on them. As long as I paint lightly in multiply coats it worked great.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #93

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Love that green. Looking forward to seeing more.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #94

Alberta
Rick, The templates worked ok, but not perfect. I am going to try making them differently, will post when I do.

Thanks Linda.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #95

Alberta

Wrapped the trailer up for the drive to the mountains, to paint the Boler. This picture was taken the next morning.

I will be using the tent they store their boat in to paint. A very generous offer for such a potentially messy project.

Trailer Primed. Working to sort through the pictures of last weeks progress and get them posted.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #96

Texas
I know its been suggested here but you can have any template made. I had this one made for I think 24 bucks and its a 24x24 in size. Of course my Egg isnt ready for it yet. I made it up in PhotoShop and InkScape and submitted it to them. Matches the tatoo on my shoulder
Car Stickers & Car Decals - Family Stickers, Oval Stickers, Custom Vinyl Decals
Attached Thumbnails
texas_flag_yellow_rose final version.jpg  
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #97

Alberta
Thanks Mike, I will check them out. I am thinking a decal is the way to go.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #98

Alberta
Painting was an intimidating project. I thought about doing it with a roller, but wanted it to be as good as I could make it, so I ended up spraying it on, and am I ever glad I did. During the project here is a few things I learned;

1. Over prepare the body. Flaws that I didn’t see on the sanded shell are obvious in the new paint.

2. More Primer. Primer can hide small imperfections and did a good job in one coat. Next time I would put more primer on, and make sure the primer will hide tiny flaws in the fiberglass.

3. Fiberglass reinforced Bondo would be used for any larger repairs, as when bolting the trailer together tiny cracks have appeared on two of the repairs. The regular Bondo is holding up on the rest of the repairs.

4. Make sure the area is ventilated. I left the door closed once and the green dust settled on top of the white paint. It mostly wiped off, but could have caused an issue. After that I made sure everything not being painted was covered and the door was open to keep the trailer ventilated.

5. Practice. The flaws made with the primer are for the most part the only big flaws in the paint job. It is easy to paint, but with a little practice before starting it would have looked a lot better.

6. The first bit of primer was not thinned enough, once I fixed this things went a lot better.

7. When the air pressure got too low it didn’t paint well. After a while i could see the difference and it made things much easier.

8. Over-spray does not travel far before drying, and then the only risk is it settling as dust. with that I did get a little on a car (it washed off), so I would make sure nothing is too close.

To paint the Boler trailer I used a spray gun I bought for $20 at princess auto and an old compressor. Then paints are shown in the picture.

I tried a couple air powered sanders, before moving and losing access to a compressor. I went to home depot, which had a sale on a dual action 5″ electric sander. They were out of them, so they sold me the floor model for $20. This was the best sander I used and next time would have started with on of these. It is not for body work, but worked great, and cost much less for the sand paper.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #99

Texas
Im just finishing my outside now. 99.9% done. I never realized how many valleys and how curved the shell actually is. After I have sanded I close my eyes and run my bare hand over the area and so far it seems to be telling me that once its primed and painted I wont see any of these imperfections of color variances. What kind of flaws were you seeing? Wonder if there is something you can spray on temporarily that will allow you to look all over and along the sides to see any imperfections? Did you wipe her down with Acetone? and what grit did you finish up with for final pre-prime?
Just curious. How long can you paint on that one application holder. Any issues starting after refilling and starting up again where you left off? Guess its back to watching YTube videos before I start mine.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #100

Alberta
I had a lot of filling to do, in a couple places I thought I had sanded enough, but the transition from bondo to fiberglass showed. The gel coat was completely gone, with the fiberglass exposed, I thought I filled it well enough, but when I put the paint on where the gel coat was missing tiny holes appeared.

Any flaws showed up once the primer was on. If I was to do it again I would finish the prep, primer it. Then go over it again with bondo or sand paper as needed, then put a second coat of primer on. that would have hid any of the issues I have in my paint.

I would also want to leave it for at least a week after painting it. Between marks made while installing anything, and a bike crashing into it a few marks have already been made. I will touch them up, but waiting for the paint to harden would have been a better idea.

Tags
boler