Painting our Boler 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Painting our Boler 1300

Do I really need to remove the windows to paint my shell? Can good masking do the trick? I will be using Interlux Brightside, roll and tip method.
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Ronald, you could get by painting without removing the windows, but many that had removed theirs found problems that needed attention. How long has it been since the windows have been resealed with good butyl tape?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Painting

Boler has been inside, stored away for past 15 years. Windows have never been touched. A virgin Boler, so to speak. Big chore and interior disassembly to remove windows?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
So I Guess that you have already made up your mind that a 1972 window seal will last forever since it has been stored inside for 15 years. If I were to go to all the trouble of reprinting for aesthetics, I would not cut corners, so as to protect the cream puff's interior.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Painting

I hear you, and kindly take your advice about the windows. Black or white tape? I have heard of a white type "combo" tape of butyl and caulking. Your thoughts?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Personally I use the black very sticky and stretchy type. There are very long discussions about butyl tape on this forum, (using the "Search" button above will bring them up), and how to let it squeeze out for a day, re-torque slightly, then clean off the excess a couple days later. Take your time and enjoy your project.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
To seal my Trillium I used butyl tape that was off white or beige if you wish to call it that. The actual tape color is a matter if preference. However if you are painting a light color on your Boler black may be a pain to cleanup if it squeezes out around the trim. I don't feel there is much difference in performance by color. Maybe a quality variance by manufacturer. Enjoy your Boler !
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I believe that if I had a fiberglass trailer with intact gel coat I would polish and not paint.
I don't happen to have one like that and I have made many modifications and filled cutouts that I don't need so I will eventually have to paint, but the original gel coat would be the first choice, folloed by sanding and painting with a polyurethane paint.

Adding to my problems with painting is the fact that the trailer was previously painted and it is peeling, particularly around the windows.
When I resealed those windows I sanded the area around them so that at least the poor paint close by was gone and I could decide to mask and paint or remove them again and paint the entire thing inclusing under the window trim (which would be best)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Painting

Oh, I do wish I could just buff up the oxidized finish, BUT, I must do some body filling touch up as I found a soft impact-like spot about the size of a small sandwich plate on the front left corner. Kinda` mushy feeling. A back up mishap I suspect. Gotta` fill, sand, and the whole" 9 yards" on it. Will be painting white again on top, and yellow on bottom to replace the sage green color. Should look even more retro, then!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
"Soft" and "mushy" sound like more than gelcoat damage. The underlying structure may be weakened. You might need to consider doing a little fiberglass work to make it solid. Otherwise, I can see the paint job failing in that area.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Oh, I do wish I could just buff up the oxidized finish, BUT, I must do some body filling touch up as I found a soft impact-like spot about the size of a small sandwich plate on the front left corner. Kinda` mushy feeling. A back up mishap I suspect. Gotta` fill, sand, and the whole" 9 yards" on it. Will be painting white again on top, and yellow on bottom to replace the sage green color. Should look even more retro, then!
A pic might help us Ron. Depending on what the real damage is, you might be able to stiffen it up from the inside and keep the finish work on the outside minimal.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Painting.

Our Boler, named "Shellie", is still sitting in its garage in Windsor, Ontario, where it has been on blocks for the past 15 years or so. There is some surface break-through of the gel coat in the mid corner. We pick it up in April, as the widow has offered to store it with her until then. No pics of the area, sorry. I could use it as is, the way the old couple did, but I am too fussy...
Old 01-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
My Boler came with the black anodized aluminum framed windows which were actually quite easy to remove. So, if yours does too then I would recommend taking them out, putting on new butyl tape without any hesitation. However, I have not had to remove jalousie windows before. Not sure how much more complicated they are...
I agree that replacing old butyl tape is an important Reno step no matter what style of windows you have.
Best of luck and looking forward to some pics.
Jay

Sent from my iPod touch using Fiberglass RV
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Painting.

Thanks for your imput. I will post pictures of the work when started!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #15

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hi again I just thought of something that may help you in painting your Boler. Go to your library and see if you can get a book on painting fiberglass cars or boats. That may give you some help in your paint job. I would recommend you apply a paint with a hardener in it to help prevent scratches later on. Any automotive paint has this system used. Most enamels dry by evaporation, the new paints have a chemical reaction that bonds the layers of paint together. Painting is a big job so try and use the "best" paint so it will last as long as possible. Cheers, Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint, painting