Bigfoot "Bunks" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Bigfoot and Casita Spirit Deluxe
New Mexico
Registry
Bigfoot "Bunks"

As I understand it, the 17 foot Gaucho model has a cabinet above that can be turned into, with the help of a foam mattress, a bunk for a wee person. In a conversation today I found out(was told) that in the center bath model the bainet over the convertible dining booth, can pull out as a bunk.

With this post, I was hoping for two things.
I would like to confirm that the "cabinet Bunk" did exist in the Gaucho model and the CB, center bath model.

Also would these work for a child up to 70 or 80 lbs(or how many pounds would be safe)....wouldn't be fun to have them land on top of you midway through the night!

Thanks
Apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
bunk

I have a 13' Bigfoot. There is a bunk under the front seat by lifting up the seat and pulling out the back to become the bed. supports on front left and right corners on an angle to the seat corner bottom. Do you have a toe trailer, with a front seat. Maybe you have a bunk up front. Not with a truck trailer ? I Don't know a 17' layout.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

New Mexico
Registry
Nope, this is quite different in the 17....it comes out of the cabinet above the front eating area.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The gaucho model bunk will support 70 lbs. The challenge is the close distance between pad and the ceiling. None of our 6 grand kids would sleep in ours.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
The gaucho model bunk will support 70 lbs. The challenge is the close distance between pad and the ceiling. None of our 6 grand kids would sleep in ours.
The CB has the same height situation. The bunk surface to the ceiling is 14 1/2 inches in the center, and 13 inches at the ends without a mattress or pad. It is ridiculous to think that Bigfoot would even call this a bunk.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #6

New Mexico
Registry
Thanks Tom and Jack for reading between the lines...thought I could convince a 5 yr old grandson that the bunk would be the next "excelleny" adventure...maybe no

But at least glad I asked.

Greg
Old 10-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #7

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
I can't imagine anyone sleeping in the "bunk". Low ceiling with difficult access and egress. A cat would probably love it though.
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #8

Name: Erika
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Quebec
Registry
photos of bunk setup?

We recently purchased an '84 B17 trailer and our 4 year-old is thrilled to be sleeping in the bunk area above the gaucho. However, we are perhaps overly cautious that she may fall through the folded-down cupboards! Were thinking of using a sheet of 1/4" ply underneath a 2" foam mattress... but I would love to see what other members are using. Thanks in advance.
mykah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
storage

front of a 97 CB model

realistically the bunk is really only good for storage..or CATS....LOL

I converted mine to a three compartment "closet" (his, hers and linen)....later turned the doors upside down and installed cargo netting...(spring shocks gone in favor of door latches like the ones found on the horizontal opening doors elsewhere in the trailer)

the free standing divider "thing" is held in place by two small screws....because the latch is no longer accessible I rigged a spring to it (now spring loaded)...with a trip rope (the latch on the left side is not needed or used...although it's accessible...those latches aren't the best...finicky to use/operate... with a spring added they work great)

the drop down panel certainly makes it a snap to load/unload, sort/organize everything before or after a trip
Attached Thumbnails
dresser1.jpg   dresser2.jpg  

dresser3.jpg   dresser4.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Yes, you will need plywood under the mattress. I also rigged some netting from the ceiling to under the mattress to prevent rolling out of the bunk.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #11

Name: J
Isle of Wight
I have a 2002 Bigfoot 17CB and I cant see any evidence of bunks at either end - just lots of storage. Did they abandon the idea at some point or do I actually have bunks hidden away somewhere....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I had the rear upper bunk in my gaucho model. Pretty useless. My kinds didn't want anything to do with it even though they sleep in a bunk bed in the house. It remained as a storage cabinet the entire time I owned it.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #13

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
I have a 2002 Bigfoot 17CB and I cant see any evidence of bunks at either end - just lots of storage. Did they abandon the idea at some point or do I actually have bunks hidden away somewhere....
Check at the upper outside edges of the front upper cabinets for locks. Pull those and the cabinet face will drop down, if you have bunks.

My biggest issue with them was that they make it hard to access stuff in there. Otherwise I would have left mine as they were. I took out that whole face and made storage and a bookshelf. Francois’ idea, as usual, is a good one.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykah View Post
We recently purchased an '84 B17 trailer and our 4 year-old is thrilled to be sleeping in the bunk area above the gaucho. However, we are perhaps overly cautious that she may fall through the folded-down cupboards! Were thinking of using a sheet of 1/4" ply underneath a 2" foam mattress... but I would love to see what other members are using. Thanks in advance.
There have been several threads about Bigfoot bunks and many reply's. This is the first reply I have seen that indicates someone actually using one for sleeping.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #15

Name: Erika
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
There have been several threads about Bigfoot bunks and many reply's. This is the first reply I have seen that indicates someone actually using one for sleeping.
Well... it took couple of nights adjustment for her, and the first thing she asked was for us to raise the roof! (We're making the transition to trailer from pop-up truck camper
mykah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot