Buying a new old Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 PM   #21

Name: Connor
Trailer: Scamp
Arkansas
Does anyone know where this check list is on the site? I'm having trouble locating it
The seller said there isn't a spot for the battery. I would mainly be using it with shore power so I wouldn't need the battery power

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
con57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by con57 View Post
Does anyone know where this check list is on the site? I'm having trouble locating it...Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
It's in the Document Center here, but it isn't available from the app. Use the browser on your phone or computer to access it through the website.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Also on the home page on the left in the column of options below the one for the forum. I would check under the seat benches for a spot for a battery.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #24

Arkansas
Thank you guys! I'll check under the seat. Did all scamps come with a battery hook up? Do you think the patch up front could've been where it was and for some reason someone patched it?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The earlier Scamps were all over the place on how their power systems were wired. On top of that back in 1977 the ac converter systems left allot to be desired. My personal 1986 13 foot Scamp had the 12 volt dc seperate from the 120 ac. Ac didnt convert to dc and didnt charge the battery. I rewired my trailer to a much more modern system.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #26

Arkansas
Ok I'll check around it and see. How hard was it to covert it so it'll charge the battery?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
It just depends on what you are able to do electrical wise or are willing to pay for. Easy as buying a smart battery charger and plugging in the battery charger when you need it or wiring in a charger all the way to replacing the main 120 circuit and wiring in a new load center with built in converter and smart battery charger.

Do a search on this site and the internet for the PD4045 a more modern charging/load center for small to midsize RV. I went this way with my trailer because I wanted to add more circuits both 120 volt AC and 12 volt DC. I went over kill and separated all of my runs so there was almost no daisy chaining of loads. I also added solar capability so big changes in the electrical system on my trailer.

Once you get your trailer and take it camping you will know more of what you want. Camping alone in the boondocks is far different than people that don't venture any further than a KOA with full hook-ups.

There is a lot to be said to keeping it simple.

With almost 40 years between when your trailer was built to the electrical demands of the younger generations of today's youth and what you deem comfortable to meet your needs the power grid can be significantly different.

Camping with a family group we had cell phones, tablets, camera battery's and my own personal dvd player sucking battery juice from our trailer all the time in a campground with no power. 2 small solar panels keeping it all up by day. No generator or car running to charge the battery or provide 120 volt AC. Times have changed since 1977 when your trailer was built.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #28

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Rather than change out things I would put a small charger in the power center compartment. Plug it into the 110 circuit and connect it to any of the 12vdc lines near it which will charge the battery, just make sure that the 12vdc line is battery hot all of the time.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #29

Arkansas
Very good idea. I could just leave a trickle charger on. I'm not much into getting in and messing with wiring if I don't have to!

Tags
scamp