Cleaning and protecting our Egg Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Cleaning and protecting our Egg Camper

We've only had our Egg C. since spring. We're now about 3000 miles along on a western trip and it is very DIRTY. What do you all clean yours with and do you wax? If you wax, what do you use? Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gel Gloss. It's easy to put on, easy to take off. Frankly, I don't think it matters a whole lot what you use as long as you USE it. Some of the wax/cleaners wear a person out and consequently isn't put on as often as it should. Make it easy on yourself, and you'll USE it more often. The better the wax job, the easier it is to clean up after a trip. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

Michigan
Cleaning our Egg Camper and another question

Did half of it today. Bugs so bad on it that a pressure washer didn't doo much of anything. Used some bug & tar remover plus a Mr Clean eraser. Better but still a lot of work. Gotta attack the other half tomorrow. It's gonna be waxed this time. Any suggestions? Another topic: any issues with snow load in the winter? Won't be able to remove snow because we'll be a couple of thousand miles away with our 31 ft Kodiak. Last winter we spent in Michigan was 1994.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Most of us use ReddMax pro with success. Once applies, dirt just rolls off. I'd cover and if you think the snow will build up, maybe put a 2x4 to help support the ceiling. Ask Jim Palmer what he does with his Egg's sitting outside there in Michigan.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

This exact same topic is going on over at the Casita Forum Getting the Smashed Bugs Off When all else fails what do you use? The one thing I'm taking away from the topic is to use Dryer Sheets! Several people have commented on how well it works.

And yeah, Red Maxx Pro works and so does Poliglow and a really good wax job too (all before the fact), but since you're looking how to remove the bugs and haven't used those polish products... try dryer sheets and let us know how well it works for you!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #6

Michigan
I've tried dryer shhets before and been less than impressed.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I've tried dryer shhets before and been less than impressed.
Wet or dry or both? So far, you're the only one I've read about that hasn't found them to work well....
Old 08-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Did half of it today. Bugs so bad on it that a pressure washer didn't doo much of anything. Used some bug & tar remover plus a Mr Clean eraser. Better but still a lot of work. Gotta attack the other half tomorrow. It's gonna be waxed this time. Any suggestions? Another topic: any issues with snow load in the winter? Won't be able to remove snow because we'll be a couple of thousand miles away with our 31 ft Kodiak. Last winter we spent in Michigan was 1994.
I use Simple Green spray to get rid of the bugs. Spray it on, let it soak for a few minutes and then scrub lightly with a sponge mop. Hit it with a pressure washer and the bugs are gone. It also cleans the mag chloride and crud that builds up when we travel in the winter.

As far as snow load we have had 3 1/2 feet on the EggCamper with no problems. I checked inside and found no change from floor to ceiling measurement with all that snow. We live in the foothills west of Denver and get some pretty heavy snow at times.

The picture shows the EggCamper sitting outside behind our house with about 2 feet of snow on it. Picture was taken in November of 2009.
Attached Thumbnails
EggInSnow.jpg  
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
I use Simple Green spray to get rid of the bugs. Spray it on, let it soak for a few minutes and then scrub lightly with a sponge mop. Hit it with a pressure washer and the bugs are gone. It also cleans the mag chloride and crud that builds up when we travel in the winter.

As far as snow load we have had 3 1/2 feet on the EggCamper with no problems. I checked inside and found no change from floor to ceiling measurement with all that snow. We live in the foothills west of Denver and get some pretty heavy snow at times.

The picture shows the EggCamper sitting outside behind our house with about 2 feet of snow on it. Picture was taken in November of 2009.
I'd be careful with the snow load. I've seen a couple of trailers with damaged roofs, especially if there's an air conditioner adding to the weight. Why not take reasonable precautions with your fine trailer?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
Orlen,
What made you decide not to cover yours in the winter? That is a lot snow there for November!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Most of us use ReddMax pro with success. Once applies, dirt just rolls off. I'd cover and if you think the snow will build up, maybe put a 2x4 to help support the ceiling. Ask Jim Palmer what he does with his Egg's sitting outside there in Michigan.
hehe but Im going to suggest that the term "most of us" may have been used a little loosely here. Yes some members here have done it but I would suggest that there are far more who have not and go with the good old cleaning process and a really good waxing twice a year and have equally good results. I have attended a number of meets with 40 and more trailers in the past year and only know of one who has done it and just last weeked as everyone sat around looking at it next to another trailer done the old fashion way the owner suggested they may have been to quick to jump on that band wagon.....there is a bit of yellowing happening on that trailer after a year and then there is the issue of getting it off if you change your mind..
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
How many have seen Red Maxx yellow?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
How many have seen Red Maxx yellow?
I think it could be so subtle you may not even notice it, until half gets stripped off. I thought my Scamp was white until it was parked next to a brand new one....
Old 08-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
The color is not necessarily what one attempts in polishing/protecting their Egg. I'm sure your Scamp was not the same color as a new one when you applied the finish. Fiberglass like humans will age. As long as it protects and the water beads, I'm happy. Think of it as spf 15 vs nothing at all.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #15

I haven't used Red Maxx or Poliglow on my trailer. For ten years, I've used Gel Gloss. Perhaps it's yellowing All I'm saying is unless there's a space where Red Maxx wasn't applied, you'd probably never know if it was yellowing... unless you have something to compare it to.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Orlen,
What made you decide not to cover yours in the winter? That is a lot snow there for November!!!
Because two days later I hooked it up to the truck and headed out on a camping trip. We're on the road with the EggCamper at least once a month in heat, cold, snow, rain and anything else nature throws our way.

I'll agree. That was a lot of snow in one storm but not a record snowfall. As I said before I've seen 3 1/2 feet piled on top. I think the vertical seam and double wall construction help a lot to support a large snow load.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
Because two days later I hooked it up to the truck and headed out on a camping trip. We're on the road with the EggCamper at least once a month in heat, cold, snow, rain and anything else nature throws our way.

I'll agree. That was a lot of snow in one storm but not a record snowfall. As I said before I've seen 3 1/2 feet piled on top. I think the vertical seam and double wall construction help a lot to support a large snow load.
Do you find using the EggCamper enjoyable in the winter? Without propane and heated tanks you would need electric and water, are these available? Is it comfortable enough to camp in during the winter? I'm looking forward to trying to use mine this winter.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium
I just purchased a 1983 Bigfoot 5th wheel that had been sitting under some Poplar trees since 2003 I have found that CLR Kitchen and Bath works well at getting all the sap off. We (family of four) spent approx 8 hrs scrubbing , between water fights with the garden hose we got a lot done for the first big clean up.
Craig Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Do you find using the EggCamper enjoyable in the winter? Without propane and heated tanks you would need electric and water, are these available? Is it comfortable enough to camp in during the winter? I'm looking forward to trying to use mine this winter.
Jim

My EggCamper is sort of unusual. I bought it as a "kit" version and installed all the electrical, plumbing and propane systems as well as the appliances and bathroom/shower. The only thing factory installed was the exterior lighting and battery for the break away system. It looked pretty naked when I picked it up at the factory.

Propane appliances include a 17,000 BTUH furnace, 6 gallon water heater, 3 burner stove and 3-way refrigerator. It has two 20 pound propane tanks installed on the tongue and I carry a spare 40 pound tank in the truck when taking long trips in the winter.

I've camped and traveled in temperatures way below zero with no problems although I drain the water system and carry water in 5 gallon jugs inside the camper when traveling in the winter. The gray water tank and drain pipe heaters and insulation haven't been installed yet but are on the round tuit list. A couple of times I've had frozen pipes under the camper but it hasn't caused any damage so far.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Twice a year, we use the same paste wax we use on the fiberglass boats: 3M Ultraperformance marine wax, with UV inhibitors. It does a great job of protecting from the Florida sun, and makes cleanup easier, too. Don't forget the roof--it gets the most sun. I use the same wax on the vertical parts of the fiberglass interior, but only once a year.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper